If a virus killed your daughter but not you, could you witness on the power of prayer?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
This was asked in the spiritual study forum, but I guess you cannot question God's omnipotence there.

Read the context of the question there and I ask:
If, thru prayer, God brought you back from the brink of a deadly disease, wouldnt you wonder why he let you get the disease in the first place?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Question? Yes I’d question. But yes I could still witness to the power of prayer. I believe it works and I know I don’t understand His ways, I just believe He knows best. I beat Covid once. I know ministers that didn’t.

Artfuldodger

Question? Yes I’d question. But yes I could still witness to the power of prayer. I believe it works and I know I don’t understand His ways, I just believe He knows best. I beat Covid once. I know ministers that didn’t.
What if 5 of the elder ladies in your Church died even though the same members prayed over them and not you? Could you return after you were brought back from the brink of death and return the very next Sunday and preach on the power of prayer?

Artfuldodger

This was asked in the spiritual study forum, but I guess you cannot question God's omnipotence there.

If, thru prayer, God brought you back from the brink of a deadly disease, wouldnt you wonder why he let you get the disease in the first place?
I would imagine many who think God offers a hedge of protection to not get it, wonder why that prayer didn't work. Then they ask for another hedge to prevent death.
Maybe getting it was a trial or tribulation to prove that your next prayer to survive it was to show the power of prayer. Maybe it was to prove your faith to yourself.

Artfuldodger

Why did you add the ministers part? I think I would question a family member dying from it more than getting it. Not sure why. I might would leave getting it up to free will but dying from it up to God.

Artfuldodger

What about I prayed for the hurricane not to hit my house so God steered it and it hit a very populated city instead. Thanks to the power of prayer, I lived. I would just look at it as the power of God.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Why did you add the ministers part? I think I would question a family member dying from it more than getting it. Not sure why. I might would leave getting it up to free will but dying from it up to God.
Because that’s who I knew for sure who passed away with Covid.

j_seph

My wife had diastolic heart failure, she had a rough probably 1 1/2 to 2 years, told she would have to deal with this the rest of her life. Taking meds for it, 45 years old walk 50 yards tops to mailbox and back being completely out of breath. One Sunday morning she came up from an alter at church, said she was good. I said huh, what you talking about? She said my heart failure is good. Long story short, doctor ask what has changed, all we could tell him was prayer. Multiple visits he'd ask the same question when he finally had to state we are taking this off of your record. There is no sign of diastolic heart failure, this just doesn't happen.

Her spiritual life became stronger due to the battle she fought. Her Faith grew as the only cure she had was from God. She has gotten to witness to several, believers and non. This changed her life, her outlook on many things in it.

On the opposite side is myself, who prayed for his late wife to be cured from brain cancer. As many others prayed for the same and for his will be done. At 36 she left this world, fighting a battle for 10 years. Did she get her healing, yes but not on this side. However the lives effected and changed in those 10 years, especially my own would have never happened had she been healed on this side.

Israel

BANNED
Some find relief in "a plan', some find relief in a mystery.
If the plan includes "there is nothing hidden except to be revealed" it could satisfy relief for both.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
What if 5 of the elder ladies in your Church died even though the same members prayed over them and not you? Could you return after you were brought back from the brink of death and return the very next Sunday and preach on the power of prayer?
Actually, yes.

Not virus related but when my Dad passed away that was the hardest thing I ever faced. I was very close to him. A lot of prayers.

I had all of the “why” questions, I’m human. But I know prayer works, it’s worked since then for me, many times. I don’t know why it couldn’t turn out my way with my Dad.

I still don’t know “why” and it still bothers me that he was robbed of watching his Grandchildren grow up.

We buried my Dad on a Wednesday. I was in service that following Sunday.

Last edited:

Israel

BANNED
Not my job.

gordon 2

If the plan includes "there is nothing hidden except to be revealed" it could satisfy relief for both.

Right. In many ways the power is not in the prayer, rather the power is in the healing and not in the healing in many cases. Healing and not healing ministers differently firstly that some might know faith in the first case and secondly that some might not take their faith for granted and so removed from the world as if a cross they did not fit. And much more...

I know of a renowned Faith Healer who said something to the effect that healing is for people with little or no faith. If you have faith you should not need healing necessarily because you have faith.

I say if someone near you has no faith then maybe even if you have faith they might benefit from your healing due a thaumaturge. And more, this healing can minister to future generations. Prayer therefore is not the power in spiritual terms; healing is and not healing is. It seems to be the plan and is not that great a mystery.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Right. In many ways the power is not in the prayer, rather the power is in the healing and not in the healing in many cases. Healing and not healing ministers differently firstly that some might know faith in the first case and secondly that some might not take their faith for granted and so removed from the world as if a cross they did not fit. And much more...
Maybe the power is in God.

ambush80

Not my job.

Didn't mean you, my brother. I meant The Great Spirit.

It was kind of a soft dig at the notion that I could beg for some outcome, have it not come to pass, then say it was meant to be. You know the schtick.

ambush80

I know of a renowned Faith Healer who said something to the effect that healing is for people with little or no faith. If you have faith you should not need healing necessarily because you have faith.

I say if someone near you has no faith then maybe even if you have faith they might benefit from your healing due a thaumaturge. And more, this healing can minister to future generations. Prayer therefore is not the power in spiritual terms; healing is and not healing is. It seems to be the plan and is not that great a mystery.

'Cept people who do nothing sometimes get healed, too.....