UPD: GOEX production (real black powder) NEW INVESTOR : DOD

flintlock hunter

If you just want to stretch out your BP supply you already have on hand, you could put 5 or 10 grains of real black powder under one of the black powder substitutes like the Traditions PA PELLET suggests.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

flconch53

The flash point of pyrodex is about 400 degrees higher than black powder. Hence the probelm with flintlocks. That's why I scratch my head when theses modern muzzleloading guys talk about synthetic powder being hotter.

frankwright

I don't shoot that much of it and I have enough to last me a good many hunting seasons but will sure be sorry to see it go.
Goex says it is looking for someone to buy the company and keep Goex going but that is a long shot.
Just for fun I looked at all the normal places that carry BP and almost all are out of stock already. The panic has started.
I seem to remember I use to use Pyrodex in my sidelocks and never really had any problems.
Flintlockers are just out of luck unless something changes!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I am very curious about the idea of a pinch of black under a load of substitute...

Just might make T7 work in the Hawken....

flconch53

Track used to sell a nipple primer that would put a little 4f down the nipple to get a quicker ignition. I think that if you used a premeasured load with a little more 10 grains going down the barrel 1st it should work.

flintlock hunter

What is a good substitute for percussion caps muzzle loaders?

The wife's Thunderhawk is an inline caplock, and not especially fond of real black powder. We switched that rifle over to Pyrodex Select and it's a winner.
If you decide to try the pellet version it might be wise to go over to a number 11 magnum cap, or get a 209 conversion. Some rifles need a little extra ignition to set off the pellets.

Last edited:

Flintrock

Im going to try and make my own black powder .I already ordered all the makings and the mesh screens for sifting out the grains . I will make my own charcoal . I already have enough Goex powder to last me but I always wanted to give this a try .

flconch53

I would think real charcoal not briquettes would work. I notice that some of the black powder manufacturers are specific about what kind of wood the charcoal is made from. I don't know if it makes a difference or not. I am interested in how you make out

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I would think real charcoal not briquettes would work. I notice that some of the black powder manufacturers are specific about what kind of wood the charcoal is made from. I don't know if it makes a difference or not. I am interested in how you make out
I have read that willow wood charcoal was prized for black powder making in the past.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Charcoal made from softer woods grind to a much finer powder giving the better results. The very finest charcoal powder I’ve made came from gourds.

I bet that`s why your pitch glue is so good and smooth, I bet.

Flintrock

I plan to shoot some loads using Goex and the home made stuff through a chronograph . I’ll need to put some space between the bore and the chronograph so I will not singe it !