48v EZGO

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've had problems with this buggy, but now the motor is noisy, sounds like the brushes are dragging heavy or maybe bearings or bushings dry. Anyone ever had thos problem? It's not the brakes.

Attachments

• blindson.jpg
    blindson.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 23

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
had the differential checked out on the buggy. The noise is coming from the chunk. Drained the oil and there is small metal pieces stuck to the magnetic drain plug. Flushed and added new oil, still noisy. This is what you call luck, bad luck right here at deer season.

earlthegoat2

Did you try the Lucas earl?

No but I work on golf carts a lot (albeit, gas ones) and I have seen axle bearings fail. Shards in the oil may be evidence of this but really, if the diff oil has never been changed there should be metal sludge in there. I would have to see it to know what was going on there.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Changed the oil, it was dark, no water. Just a few metal shavings. Still noisy. The noise began months ago, and was only real noticeable when going fast. Then recently, the noise became loud at any speed. Now it's loud. What's the best way to fix? New rear end, axle etc. or parts to be replaced?

Attachments

• chunk.jpg
    chunk.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 13

earlthegoat2

Put it in neutral and jack the rear end and manually spin the tires to listen for the noise to determine if it is in the diff. Might need to disable the electric brake if there is one. Come to think of it, you may need to uncouple the motor to free the diff from the motor.

If there is noise then it is in the diff. If not, it may be the motor bearings. The only way to diagnose that is uncoupling the motor from the diff and hit the go pedal while in forward.

Reactions: Son

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm leaning on motor bearing. Using an old mechanic trick listening to the noise using a long screwdriver touching different areas. The loudest noise is where the motor bearing is. Thinking about pulling the motor to check it out.

buckmanmike

If its the motor, send it to EMP for a rebuild and upgrade. I did that to an ezgo I had in the past and it was a good improvement in performance. I think the web is emp.biz.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
One of our boys and I repaired the ezgo club car motor today. Put a new bearing in the motor and cleaned it up a bit. Runs like new and no noise. Old bearing was dry, but hadn't began coming apart yet. It was a job, not kidding.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Next job, fix the Kubota Bx2200. After running for about 20 minutes, it begins acting like it's starving for fuel. I'll start by changing the fuel pump.