First timer out to Jetties.

NewVision

Anyone have coordinates for the Savannah jetties? I normally launch out of Butterbean, but I want to try some Jetty fishing.

Seanote

I don't have the coordinates, but if you put in at Lazaretto Creek Landing, go under the bridge and you will see the about a 1/2 mile north. Be careful there are two jetties and the south side can't be seen at high tide.

NewVision

I don't have the coordinates, but if you put in at Lazaretto Creek Landing, go under the bridge and you will see the about a 1/2 mile north. Be careful there are two jetties and the south side can't be seen at high tide.
Thank you! I usually try to scout a new area at low tide, so that I can get a lay of the land.

Seanote

You will want to follow the shoreline about 500-1000 yards from the bank until you start seeing the cans and circle back to the eastern end of the north jetty. It is an easy and short run of a mile or so. Low tide is a good idea.

NewVision

You will want to follow the shoreline about 500-1000 yards from the bank until you start seeing the cans and circle back to the eastern end of the north jetty. It is an easy and short run of a mile or so. Low tide is a good idea.
I pulled it up on google maps. So once I go under the bridge, follow thr right shoreline from 500 to 1000 yards from shore then then circle into the eastern end of the north Jetty. I'll draw it o the google map image.

Seanote

I'm no expert, but the route above may be a dangerous route for a newbie to take. There is very shallow water in that area and I'm not sure if the south jetty will cross that path. I would go further out and circle back to the east end of the jetty where there is deeper water.

NewVision

I'm no expert, but the route above may be a dangerous route for a newbie to take. There is very shallow water in that area and I'm not sure if the south jetty will cross that path. I would go further out and circle back to the east end of the jetty where there is deeper water.
Got it, thanks!

Mweathers

Take that route, just be sure to keep the white danger sign on your port side, it marks the end of the jetty. Just beyond the last green can off north beach.
One of the most dangerous spots to fish in the area. Be aware that those ships passing push a lot of water, if you are not vigilant, they will push you over the jetty and then, when the water runs out, will pull you back over the jetty. Not good for fiberglass. I see people get in trouble there all the time.

NewVision

Take that route, just be sure to keep the white danger sign on your port side, it marks the end of the jetty. Just beyond the last green can off north beach.
One of the most dangerous spots to fish in the area. Be aware that those ships passing push a lot of water, if you are not vigilant, they will push you over the jetty and then, when the water runs out, will pull you back over the jetty. Not good for fiberglass. I see people get in trouble there all the time.
Maybe I need to find someone that fishes there on a normal basis so that I dont tear my boat up!

Seanote

Yes it can be dangerous if you are not vigilant, but it also can be very safe. I agree and do not fish in the area Mweathers mentioned. I put in at Lazaretto Creek and fish once or twice a week. I do not fish the jetties in my current boat as it is a J16 with a 20HP. I fished it for years out of my 18' Sea Pro. You never mentioned your boat size. Anything in the 17+ length is fine. Shoot me a private message and maybe we can plan to meet and I will show you the way. It only takes one time out to remember the safest route. The wake from the cargo ships can be up to 8' but as long as you are a safe distance from the rocks you will float right over them. You can also fish the outside of the rocks and will barely be affected by the ships. You won't see more than 2 or 3 in a day.

NewVision

Yes it can be dangerous if you are not vigilant, but it also can be very safe. I agree and do not fish in the area Mweathers mentioned. I put in at Lazaretto Creek and fish once or twice a week. I do not fish the jetties in my current boat as it is a J16 with a 20HP. I fished it for years out of my 18' Sea Pro. You never mentioned your boat size. Anything in the 17+ length is fine. Shoot me a private message and maybe we can plan to meet and I will show you the way. It only takes one time out to remember the safest route. The wake from the cargo ships can be up to 8' but as long as you are a safe distance from the rocks you will float right over them. You can also fish the outside of the rocks and will barely be affected by the ships. You won't see more than 2 or 3 in a day.
Will do! I've got a 22' Sea Pro CC Deep V.