What Is The Name Of This Strange Tree?

Resica

Apparently it's so rare they're not using it much for gun stocks anymore. From what I gather, most of the walnut for today's gun stocks comes from Turkey and Kurdistan, I believe. Still, very beautiful wood.
They're everywhere up here.

Timberman

Its a very pretty wood. Interestingly when it is sawn fresh the wood has an olive green color. Only after being exposed to air does it turn the familiar walnut hue.

Wifeshusband

Well, I went back to make a closer inspection of the Black Walnut tree, which was actually a grove of them planted around an old farmhouse.
There was a family there who had gathered a bunch of them on a blanket. I asked the mother if she was going to take them home and eat them and she looked at me strangely. She said "No my son likes to play with them."
I asked her if she knew what they were and she said, "No," and I told her beneath that green covering were black walnuts she could bust open with a hammer and eat. She was surprised and said, "Really, no kiddin', thank you for tellin' us." That's when I should have said, if you go on Georgia Outdoor News you'll learn things. They thought I was another Euell Gibbons.

NC Hillbilly I pulled out my Audubon Society Guide to NA Trees (which is what I should have done initially) and Black Walnut trees are not common to south Georgia. The cut-off is the fall line. Not saying you don't have them down there, but folks plant all kinds of trees and shrubs outside their native ranges and they become naturalized.

Take the Osage Orange, which has softball size fruit. Most people have never seen them, that's because they are indigenous to TX and OK. Book says they became naturalized here because of people planting them. The subdivision I grew up in was an ante-bellum plantation. The owner planted some foreign trees around his place and that is where I encountered them.

The farther north you go the more common the Black Walnut becomes. TN, NC, KY and VA are completed blacked out statewide. North GA too.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Its a very pretty wood. Interestingly when it is sawn fresh the wood has an olive green color. Only after being exposed to air does it turn the familiar walnut hue.

Air dried colors are much more vibrant and ranging as opposed to kiln dried.

Hillbilly stalker

Anytime you find an old home place, you tend to find walnut trees, persimmon trees, apple, cherry, paw paw trees and any other fruit tree that will grow. The older generation were hunter’s gathers and canned a lot for the winter. Much easier to gather from the yard or front field than to trek off somewhere s and have to tote it back. We have lots of walnuts here in Sc and where I grew up in WV.

Wifeshusband

I remember when Jimmy Carter got elected President in '76. Yankees used to show up in Plains wanting to see the "Peanut trees."

The Pecan trees are the most revered trees where I'm from. Worth their weight in gold right now. The Chinese love Georgia pecans and import them by the tons.

Doug B.

Well, I went back to make a closer inspection of the Black Walnut tree, which was actually a grove of them planted around an old farmhouse.
There was a family there who had gathered a bunch of them on a blanket. I asked the mother if she was going to take them home and eat them and she looked at me strangely. She said "No my son likes to play with them."
I asked her if she knew what they were and she said, "No," and I told her beneath that green covering were black walnuts she could bust open with a hammer and eat. She was surprised and said, "Really, no kiddin', thank you for tellin' us." That's when I should have said, if you go on Georgia Outdoor News you'll learn things. They thought I was another Euell Gibbons.

NC Hillbilly I pulled out my Audubon Society Guide to NA Trees (which is what I should have done initially) and Black Walnut trees are not common to south Georgia. The cut-off is the fall line. Not saying you don't have them down there, but folks plant all kinds of trees and shrubs outside their native ranges and they become naturalized.

Take the Osage Orange, which has softball size fruit. Most people have never seen them, that's because they are indigenous to TX and OK. Book says they became naturalized here because of people planting them. The subdivision I grew up in was an ante-bellum plantation. The owner planted some foreign trees around his place and that is where I encountered them.

The farther north you go the more common the Black Walnut becomes. TN, NC, KY and VA are completed blacked out statewide. North GA too.
Yes we have tons of them here in the extreme northeast corner of Georgia. I have a few trees in my yard. They are all up and down the banks of the Little Tennessee River which heads maybe two or three miles from my house. They are almost as hard to get the goody out of as a hickory nut. Hickory nuts are smaller though and a lot harder!

Timberman

Air dried colors are much more vibrant and ranging as opposed to kiln dried.

I’m talking as soon as it comes off the saw it’s olive green and by the time it runs the length of the mill and is stacked it turns it’s familiar hue. It’s still green lumber.

Hardwood is air dried to ambient humidity before kilning which can be 3-12 months depending.it’s color is set before it hits the kiln.

RedHills

I have examples in my stock right now, of air dried vs kiln dried. There is a difference beteeen those pieces that were allowed to air dry and one of the same flitch right off the saw that was kilned. Its Missouri walnut. With the bf cost of walnut, not sure theres many who are letting it sit for 1-2 years to then kiln, before its sold. What I have was cut probably 20 yrs ago.

Timberman

I have examples in my stock right now, of air dried vs kiln dried. There is a difference beteeen those pieces that were allowed to air dry and one of the same flitch right off the saw that was kilned. Its Missouri walnut. With the bf cost of walnut, not sure theres many who are letting it sit for 1-2 years before its sold. What I have was cut probably 20 yrs ago.

I’m cool with that. But I will say there’s not a stick of hardwood lumber other than poplar that goes in the kiln without air drying to ambient humidity however long that takes. Especially high end lumber. It will honeycomb.

Big7

The Oracle
Are they as hard to get out as a Hickory nut? ?
I know those are some sho' nuff work to crack.
I love Hickory nuts.

And... I've seen those green husks over the years but didn't know they were Walnut.

I'll grab some to try next time.

RedHills

Thats true, but thats done in the kiln generally with todays vacumn, predriers and dehumidifiers.
Here in north FL air drying a nominal 2×4 to equilibrium would take 2+ yrs, thats IF you can find a walnut tree thats not hollow core :) But the bugs would turn the rest into sawdust anyway in that time!

Last edited:

Timberman

Thats true, but thats done in the kiln generally with todays vacumn, predriers and dehumidifiers.
Here in north FL air drying a nominal 2×4 would take 2 yrs, thats IF you can find a tree thats not hollow core :) But the bugs would turn the rest into sawdust anyway

I agree but I wasn’t talking pine dimension lumber. Pine is sawn chunked in a kiln heat on blast and ready to sell in 2-3 days. I’m talking grade hardwood not dimension lumber. Whole different cat. You go to any Appalachian sawmill you’ll see acres of sheds with lumber on sticks.

buckpasser

I wish I had some close by. You can let the husks soak and boil the black water down to use as homemade trap dye.

Are they as hard to get out as a Hickory nut? ?
I know those are some sho' nuff work to crack.
I love Hickory nuts.

And... I've seen those green husks over the years but didn't know they were Walnut.

I'll grab some to try next time.

Worse. Once you get the green hull off, let it dry to black and you can scrape it off, you'll need a good hammer and something solid for an anvil. It'll take a pretty good lick to crack it then every bit of meat will need picked out. None of it falls out like a pecan.

Your fingers will be stained for days if you don't wear gloves.

Duff

My wife’s grandmother will throw them on a sheet and drag them to them to our gravel driveway. Let the cars run over them for a couple of days, then she will pic up the walnuts