LED Camp Lantern recommendations?

Artfuldodger

I'm pretty sure that post was made by someone affiliated with the seller of those lanterns,,, thing looks kinda cheesy looking to me :rolleyes:
It is worded a little strange for an actual member using it. I just looked at some one star reviews where the shade crumbled. Most backpackers would not carry a lantern anyways. I started out with a candle lantern but stopped using it as well. One chemlight hanging in a tree gives enough light if one wanted some light outside their tent.

Artfuldodger

I ended up buying the one in post #17. I've used it about six times camping. I like that if you hold the switch in, it gets dimmer until you let off on the button. After eating or what ever, I'd dim it to just a bit of light around the camp site. Not that I left it on all night but until bed time.
I haven't tried charging a phone as I have a battery pack for that.

transfixer

All of mine are still going strong, going to put new batteries in a few of them this weekend,, they still have the same batteries that lasted all of last season,, still working,, though the switch button turns from green to red when the batteries start getting weak to let you know you're about to need batteries, even low on power they still work fine.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
The problem I'm having with almost all my battery powered stuff is the batteries leak and destroy it all. I would like to have something maybe with a built in lithium battery. I've never had anything with a built in battery leaking. Even the Duracell and Energizers leak. I don't think rechargeable Lithium batteries are as bad about leaking though.

I've started putting dielectric grease on the connectors of all my lights to prevent corrosion when the batteries leak. So far so good.

JROESEL

I bought this light to repair a roof from the inside out, I didn’t want to have to run cords, it is absolutely amazing, and if you have any dewalt products, you just use the same battery, I put a piece of wire on the handle and hung it from the rafters, it also has a threaded insert in the bottom for a stand, it has three light brightness settings, 12/20 volt batteries
I have several now,
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-Compact-Task-Light-DCL077B/308462127

HuntinJake_23

@Artfuldodger I Just picked up a 1000 lumen LED lantern at Sams club for $19, takes 4 D batteries, it has hi and low and a candle light setting. Will be putting it in our camper

Attachments

• 04B4BCBE-84FC-4D2B-965F-E05113C2F5D4.jpeg
    04B4BCBE-84FC-4D2B-965F-E05113C2F5D4.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 065DE768-15CE-47FC-8047-4EC3296F9B81.jpeg
    065DE768-15CE-47FC-8047-4EC3296F9B81.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 33593C2F-36BE-4CC7-A604-56BC2F8DCB61.jpeg
    33593C2F-36BE-4CC7-A604-56BC2F8DCB61.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Earsom

While a camping light needs to get powered by the sun, having other charging methods like car plug-in, DC, hand-crank dynamo, and USB port are preferable. The reason for this is to heighten the dependability of the camping lantern. The more charging options available, the more excellent the solar camping lantern will be.

Tugboat1

Take a look at rechargeable shop/work lights. I run 12 volt solar lights at camp but have two work lights with magnets that I use for lighting a specific area. They are adjustable, bright and last quite a long time on a charge.20211014_004509.jpg

Artfuldodger

Take a look at rechargeable shop/work lights. I run 12 volt solar lights at camp but have two work lights with magnets that I use for lighting a specific area. They are adjustable, bright and last quite a long time on a charge.View attachment 1118558
One thing I've noticed about lighting in general is it's never where you need it. I put a lot of overhead lights in my shop but still need a light over the grinder, over the bench, and still need a light if say, working on car brakes.
The same with camping but none of those lights are permanent. We usually just wear our headlamps if not sitting by the fire. I'd say in the last 10 years, I discovered the value of a headlamp working in the maintenance field.

Tugboat1

One thing I've noticed about lighting in general is it's never where you need it. I put a lot of overhead lights in my shop but still need a light over the grinder, over the bench, and still need a light if say, working on car brakes.
The same with camping but none of those lights are permanent. We usually just wear our headlamps if not sitting by the fire. I'd say in the last 10 years, I discovered the value of a headlamp working in the maintenance field.
I feel naked without a headlamp in camp.

Procraft3

Looking to upgrade a couple of Coleman LED lanterns. Maybe something USB rechargeable. I've got a generic LED lantern with three D batteries that works better than the bulky Coleman with the red battery pack.
I’ve got a Swiss Tech flashlight from Walmart that works great. I’m sure their 1000 lumens camping light would be an awesome light too. I want one but I already have too many lights. Lol It’s rechargeable too.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Looking to upgrade a couple of Coleman LED lanterns. Maybe something USB rechargeable. I've got a generic LED lantern with three D batteries that works better than the bulky Coleman with the red battery pack.

If you are still looking...

We bought one of these on a whim back in october to use around the grill and table at camp during season. Worked perfectly. Plenty of light and charge lasted as long as we needed it to. Also inexpensive enough that if we needed more light we could add another.

Wont know about durability until it breaks :rofl:

Swiss Tech Hangen Bluetooth Speaker and 1000 Lumen LED Lantern - Walmart.com