Gatlinburg?

FordGT40

My wife and I are planning a trip to Gatlinburg in a couple of weeks and would like to do some fly fishing. From what I can tell online I will need about 2 or 3 different licenses - one for each day of fishing in Gatlinburg plus a 3 day all species license? Their website is really confusing. Anyone do any fishing around there that could tell me the proper hoops to jump through?

Geffellz18

I just bought an annual TN license. It was only $40 and since I’m relatively close it made sense for me.
As For the City of Gatlinburg, the portion of the river somewhere after the NP welcome center and just past the hatchery on the other side of the city, you have to have the Gatlinburg license to fish, but don’t have to possess any other licenses based on my research and speaking with a few folks at the resort I stayed at that are supposedly familiar with this.
I didn’t fish the city however and ventured out towards Greenbriar and Pittman center rd/Hills creek rd area. All I had there was my All species TN fishing license. This should cover you pretty much anywhere else in the state other than the stretch mentioned above in Gatlinburg, given another town in the state doesn’t do something similar.
Was there just a few weeks ago and fished all around Pigeon forge.
Safe travels and hope you have some good luck.

Last edited:

FordGT40

Thanks for the info. After reading everything again, I think you are right. To fish in Gatlinburg it looks like all I would need is the Permit for Gatlinburg at $11.50 per day. Similar to what they do in Cherokee on the reservation. I live in Ga and do a good bit of trout fishing in western NC so I have an annual license for NC, Just didn't want to have to buy one for TN too. Looks like I won't have to. Thanks again.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. After reading everything again, I think you are right. To fish in Gatlinburg it looks like all I would need is the Permit for Gatlinburg at $11.50 per day. Similar to what they do in Cherokee on the reservation. I live in Ga and do a good bit of trout fishing in western NC so I have an annual license for NC, Just didn't want to have to buy one for TN too. Looks like I won't have to. Thanks again.
You can fish anywhere on the TN side of the GSMNP with that NC license, too, as long as you're inside the park boundary. A NC or TN license, your choice, covers the whole park. You just can't fish outside the national park with the NC license.

splatek

UAEC
I miss the park dearly, Haven't been in ... well shoot a long time. That's got to change. Some of the best fishing I've experienced. I'd like to find a few smallmouth up there for my boy - he prefers bass to trout, he's young I can;t explain it... Finding trout up there is like finding your shadow....easy.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I miss the park dearly, Haven't been in ... well shoot a long time. That's got to change. Some of the best fishing I've experienced. I'd like to find a few smallmouth up there for my boy - he prefers bass to trout, he's young I can;t explain it... Finding trout up there is like finding your shadow....easy.
Get up with me next spring/summer. There are smallmouth 300 yards from my driveway, and the park is just over the ridge.

FordGT40

You can fish anywhere on the TN side of the GSMNP with that NC license, too, as long as you're inside the park boundary. A NC or TN license, your choice, covers the whole park. You just can't fish outside the national park with the NC license.
That's great to know - thanks Hillbilly.

Robust Redhorse

I'd take a drive over to the Townsend area and fish the Little River and the creeks near Cades Cove that feed into it. Little River Outfitters is a really good shop.