Tugaloo River formed by Tallulah and Chattooga Rivers.

Artfuldodger

I was trying to get this straight in my head. So many dams makes it hard to see what us was like originally.
I guess now the Tugaloo River starts at the base of Lake Tugaloo Dam. Passing through Lake Yonah, the Lake Yonah dam and ends as an arm of Lake Hartwell.
The Savannah River was formed by the confluence of the Tugaloo River and the Seneca River. Today this confluence is submerged beneath Lake Hartwell.
Nowadays, the Savannah River starts at the base of Lake Hartwell Dam.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I was trying to get this straight in my head. So many dams makes it hard to see what us was like originally.
I guess now the Tugaloo River starts at the base of Lake Tugaloo Dam. Passing through Lake Yonah, the Lake Yonah dam and ends as an arm of Lake Hartwell.
The Savannah River was formed by the confluence of the Tugaloo River and the Seneca River. Today this confluence is submerged beneath Lake Hartwell.
Nowadays, the Savannah River starts at the base of Lake Hartwell Dam.

Or at the base of Lake Russell or Lake Clarke Hill ?

Artfuldodger

I`ve fished the Hooch where you could step across it, and fished it where it`s two miles wide.
And it's a pretty long river starting way up in the mountains and keeping the same name to Chattahoochee, Florida? Interesting that in that location the streams flow north if above the Tennessee Divide, or the Eastern Divide? Either flowing to the gulf or Atlantic.

I remember years back they wanted to pump water from one watershed/basin over the Atlanta one. Then when they weren't allowed to do that they were going to pump water out of a treatment plant from one to the other. I can't remember if they were allowed to do that either.

Last edited:
I`ve fished the Hooch where you could step across it, and fished it where it`s two miles wide.

I know the feeling. My river is the warrior of Alabama and I've waded the rocky start of it up near Sand Mountain to it's confluence with the Tombigbee at Aliceville. And on down to where the Tombigbee and Alabama form the Mobile/Tensaw.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
And it's a pretty long river starting way up in the mountains and keeping the same name to Chattahoochee, Florida? Interesting that in that location the streams flow north if above the Tennessee Divide, or the Eastern Divide? Either flowing to the gulf or Atlantic.

I remember years back they wanted to pump water from one watershed/basin over the Atlanta one. Then when they weren't allowed to do that they were going to pump water out of a treatment plant from one to the other. I can't remember if they were allowed to do that either.

It and the Flint run together a mile, maybe two, just west of Chattahoochee Florida. It`s the Apalachicola from there on.

Doug B.

You meant Ocmulgee I think.
I am very familiar with the headwaters of the Savannah River which in part is the Chattooga River and Talullah River. I have been to the head of both rivers and that is not a long distance from where I live. But this statement left me scratching my head and searching Google. I am sorry for my ignorance, but I couldn't find where the Ocmulgee tied in with the Savannah River. If you would please explain. Or it may be possible you had a different meaning?

Again, sorry to be ignorant but honestly I don't know much about our states southern rivers and I haven't ever tried to find out about them. But this is very interesting. Any help would be much appreciated!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I am very familiar with the headwaters of the Savannah River which in part is the Chattooga River and Talullah River. I have been to the head of both rivers and that is not a long distance from where I live. But this statement left me scratching my head and searching Google. I am sorry for my ignorance, but I couldn't find where the Ocmulgee tied in with the Savannah River. If you would please explain. Or it may be possible you had a different meaning?

Again, sorry to be ignorant but honestly I don't know much about our states southern rivers and I haven't ever tried to find out about them. But this is very interesting. Any help would be much appreciated!

Read again and you will see that gawildlife was talking about Lake Jackson. He mis-spoke the river south of there as being the Oconee. It is in fact the Ocmulgee.

He was replying to my mistake.

Gary Mercer

I used to fish all around the upper Savannah, before Hartwell was built. I know the Seneca, since I was at Clemson at the time, and it ran thru the campus.
I can tell you that the Savannah starts under Hartwell reservoir with the Seneca, and the Tugaloo joining. I am sure there were other tributaries, but I didn't know their names.
Good deer hunting frim Clemson south to Pendleton. Some of the best squirrel hunting I have ever seen.
Alan Stocks and I used to float the Savannah from the dam at Hartwell to Bobby Brown state park. Trout in the summer, and squirrels in the winter.
There is an old 18 foot Grumman Square-back canoe wrapped around a big rock about half way down that stretch.

Artfuldodger

I used to fish all around the upper Savannah, before Hartwell was built. I know the Seneca, since I was at Clemson at the time, and it ran thru the campus.
I can tell you that the Savannah starts under Hartwell reservoir with the Seneca, and the Tugaloo joining. I am sure there were other tributaries, but I didn't know their names.
Good deer hunting frim Clemson south to Pendleton. Some of the best squirrel hunting I have ever seen.
Alan Stocks and I used to float the Savannah from the dam at Hartwell to Bobby Brown state park. Trout in the summer, and squirrels in the winter.
There is an old 18 foot Grumman Square-back canoe wrapped around a big rock about half way down that stretch.
I figured as much about it's beginning under the lake. I only became aware of Lake Hartwell when a young teen in the late 60's. I never went being from South Georgia we went to Clark's Hill. Now there is a lake between the two, not hardly much river left. I have been below the dam of Lake Russell, not too far from Bobby Brown SP. I would have loved to of made that float trip minus the big rock,lol. I have a 17' Grumman but not square back. I once had a 1939 Evinrude Elto Ace I put on a side motor mount.
I was looking last night at Clemson. I wonder if one could canoe Lake Kiowee and get into the Little River or Kiowee River and on into Lake Hartwell?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy

Toccoa is pumping over a million gallons a day from the Savannah river basin into the Chattahoochee river basin

I would like to have seen my warrior river back home before the locks and dams. I know all the old names but they are under water now.

Squaw shoals was a ten foot drop, Bankhead Dam and Lock 17 sits on top of it now. I'm told it also had a huge stand of Cahaba lillies there as well. Coalbed Creek actually has a seam of coal under all that water.
University Shoals is just downstream of the University of Alabama and was as far up a paddle wheeler could get.

Rumor has it there was an azalea under Smith Lake that was the last of it's kind when the water came up.

Artfuldodger

Toccoa is pumping over a million gallons a day from the Savannah river basin into the Chattahoochee river basin
I was thinking it was Clarksville, is it treated waste water? Whichever I guess they finally figured out a way to legally pump it from the one to the other.

Shifting all this water from one water shed to the other meanwhile miles downstream the finest oysters in the US have collapsed in Apalachicola bay and may not come back.