If I find bait for turkeys I will report it, period. Will you?

Elkdog

Kentucky has a good law. You have to stop putting feed out before turkey season. Two weeks or 30 days before, I’m not sure which but I think that’s what all states should do. That eliminates any alibis or excuses.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I too have called DNR on corn piles and mineral sites when I found them. I set my ground blind up at the log for a deer hunt but found a mineral site maybe 80 yards away…..after reporting it, I ended up leaving POd

GeorgiaGlockMan

Only answer is to outlaw baiting and feeding during turkey season for any wildlife
Pigs aren't game animals.

I dumped some corn for the pigs but let the turkey hunters who hunt on my place for free know where the corn was. They can avoid it or hunt someplace else.

See how that works.

lampern

I dumped some corn for the pigs but let the turkey hunters who hunt on my place for free know where i
The corn was. They can avoid it or hunt someplace else.

See how that works.

That was the issue brought up by the politicians and why they couldn't legalize baiting and the governor had to do it.

It cuts both ways.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I would. Never ran into any turkey hunting, did duck hunting on the Kanawha River, scouting that evening and I found a lot of birds.

My cousin's son was off from school the next day so I just went back to the truck and loaded the boat up. Got back there the next morning 2 hours before legal and it was thick, low fog...had to creep slow with all the barge traffic and hug the bank, we got there right at sunrise and started across the river, he said something was on the bank, sure enough it was corn, about 200 pounds of it exactly where I was going to set up. I contacted the GW, the caught the guy the next day.

Guilty by location, doesn't matter.

WV all bait has to be gone 10 days prior, no baiting on public land ever and now even imitation bait is illegal to hunt over

lampern

Florida solved the hog bait vs turkey issue by allowing turkey hunting 100 yards and out from a baited feeder.

It won't make the turkey hunting "purists" happy (and would never go anywhere in a state like Georgia) if other states copied it but it allows baiting of hogs and turkey hunting on the same properties.

The same issue that was brought up in Georgia baiting discussions

How do you legalize the baiting of invasive hogs/pigs while not negatively impacting hunters of other species in which baiting is illegal?

cowhornedspike

Florida solved the hog bait vs turkey issue by allowing turkey hunting 100 yards and out from a baited feeder.

It won't make the turkey hunting "purists" happy (and would never go anywhere in a state like Georgia) if other states copied it but it allows baiting of hogs and turkey hunting on the same properties.

How do you legalize the baiting of invasive hogs/pigs while not negatively impacting hunters of other species in which baiting is illegal?

In GA the DNR now uses the 200 yd rule for turkeys. (was initially only for deer.)

I hope we don't follow FL's model....hunters can stand at 100 yds and shoot a turkey under a corn feeder with a centerfire rifle, 100% legal.

I'd do prefer it like Bama, if you want to turkey hunt a parcel it needs to be 100% bait free.

mailman6

I dumped some corn for the pigs but let the turkey hunters who hunt on my place for free know where the corn was. They can avoid it or hunt someplace else.

See how that works.
That works good except you can not get a straight answer from DNR on what the rules or regs are . One says no bait at all, another warden says as long as out of sight, another says as long as 200 yards away. Call hdqtrs and they say it is up to the discretion of the individual warden.

mailman6

I have reported in the past.
Depends on who and where more than anything.

Be fine by me to have a short season for about 2 years or not a season at all for that same period.

I recon DNR Wildlife Biologists would be the ones to petition for that. IDK.

And... It's no secret, I'm not wild about "feeding" pet deer and shooting them (not hunting) in a corn pile.

Food plots and agricultural incidentals where the "bait" is grown there is a different story.

Any idiot that can aim a rifle can do that.
Recon that's another thread. ?

My 2 cents.
Does poaching and night depend on who and where too

mailman6

Well Alabama says if there is bait on the property you are getting charged while Georgia says as long as you ain’t within 200 yards of bait all is well. This could be a contributing factor

That is not the case. One warden I asked says long as out of sight, another says as long as 200 yds away and a 3rd said if one piece corn found on property no matter how big, whole property is considered baited. To try and clear things up, called hdqtrs, answer I was given is it is up to the individual wardens discretion.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
That is not the case. One warden I asked says long as out of sight, another says as long as 200 yds away and a 3rd said if one piece corn found on property no matter how big, whole property is considered baited. To try and clear things up, called hdqtrs, answer I was given is it is up to the individual wardens discretion.
Yep, and that's why it's just easier to hunt without bait and then you don't have to worry about it. I've never understood baiting for turkeys anyway. The whole point of the fun of hunting turkeys is calling them up and getting them into range.

kayaksteve

Can you hunt next to a feeder in Georgia on an adjacent property?
No and I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to place bait in such a way that would prevent neighboring owner from hunting. Unless i can see it in plain sight I ain’t worried about what’s on the neighbors property though. I can’t see that charge sticking

Dupree

That works good except you can not get a straight answer from DNR on what the rules or regs are . One says no bait at all, another warden says as long as out of sight, another says as long as 200 yards away. Call hdqtrs and they say it is up to the discretion of the individual warden.
They posted to Facebook or replied to posts a couple times saying it’s 200 yards. I have it via text from local gw, because a property I had last year has someone baiting hogs and I wanted to be sure if I walk a road 300 yards from bait if I was legal.