T/C Max-Hunter question

AliBubba

How many grains by volume of BH209 y'all suggest I use for a 275 gr Max Hunter at a 100 yd range? The T/C 250 gr Shockwaves with 90 gr/volume BH209 is dead on @ 100 yds.
Thx for the help!

flconch53

How many grains by volume of BH209 y'all suggest I use for a 275 gr Max Hunter at a 100 yd range? The T/C 250 gr Shockwaves with 90 gr/volume BH209 is dead on @ 100 yds.
Thx for the help!
If you have a load that is dead on at 100 yds I would just go with it

frankwright

There may be a big difference in the point of impact for those two bullets as you are going from a sabot to a heavier cone nosed chunk of lead.
You will have to shoot them to tell the difference and maybe bump up to 100grns and adjust your sights/scope.
Good Luck!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've killed a pile of deer with the 350-grain Maxi-hunters shooting 90 grains of FFg or Pyrodex.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Yep. Hammer of Thor.
Apt description,it’s amazing to
Me that folks will buy high dollar bullets that don’t work near as good as that bullet! Get a mold, a lead pot of some description,and a bucket of wheel weights and shoot for life. That bullet is as basic as a claw hammer or a push plow and just as reliable.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Apt description,it’s amazing to
Me that folks will buy high dollar bullets that don’t work near as good as that bullet! Get a mold, a lead pot of some description,and a bucket of wheel weights and shoot for life. That bullet is as basic as a claw hammer or a push plow and just as reliable.
Heavy solid lead projectiles are the ideal match for black powder velocities.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks all. I will take your advice and head to the range to see how I do.
Try the 350 grain ones, too. I've killed probably 50 deer with those, and only recovered one bullet. Most of the deer hit with them drop there or go down within sight.

AliBubba

I was thinking of a little lighter bullet hence the 275 gr vs the 350 gr that would give me a bit flatter trajectory.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking of a little lighter bullet hence the 275 gr vs the 350 gr that would give me a bit flatter trajectory.
The 350 grain gives the deer a flatter trajectory. :)