Mountain Glass

rnfarley

I wonder what you guys are using for binoculars in the mountains? I know visibility is limited but I've found having a pair of 8x32's on a bungee harness is really handy for identifying deer (especially in those 4 points or better areas). Does anyone have glass they really love for our mountain hunting? ie, limited visibility, canopy shade/limited light gathering, etc ?

ddd-shooter

I wonder what you guys are using for binoculars in the mountains? I know visibility is limited but I've found having a pair of 8x32's on a bungee harness is really handy for identifying deer (especially in those 4 points or better areas). Does anyone have glass they really love for our mountain hunting? ie, limited visibility, canopy shade/limited light gathering, etc ?
Currently running leupold Mojave 10x42s. They're all I really need around here. I'm picky about which deer to shoot, so I like tens.
I cannot recommend the marsupial gear bino harness enough if you always wear binos.

NCMTNHunter

I have the leupold bx-3 10x42. I don’t know that I would get them that big just for woods hunting but I use mine for everything. The main feature I like on a bino for hunting in the woods is a single wheel focus. You can look through the binos and scroll the focus closer and farther away. It’s kind of like looking deeper and deeper into the woods if that makes any sense. Nothing mountain specific. Hunting in the woods is hunting in the woods.

ChidJ

For the mountains, I don't carry binos. Too heavy haha.

But if I was going to bring binos solely for the purpose of identifying game characteristics at short range with weight being a major consideration, I'd go with the Kowa Genesis 22 8x binos

rnfarley

Currently running leupold Mojave 10x42s. They're all I really need around here. I'm picky about which deer to shoot, so I like tens.
I cannot recommend the marsupial gear bino harness enough if you always wear binos.

I have the Marsupial and love it ;) Interesting to see what everyone is carrying. I currently have Leupold bx-4's in 8x32 but I think something's gotten bumped off with the diopter because it seems to slide as I adjust the focus wheel. I need to send them in and just keep putting it off

KentuckyHeadhunter

Mine are Vortex 10x42s in a Marsupial harness. I have some 8x32s for turkey hunting but I stuff them in my vest because the Marsupial swallows them.

Whit90

I've got a cheap pair of Nikons that I hate. I'd like to get something new. Honestly I never really used binos until a few years ago. With the ones I have now, they are almost more of a disadvantage than they are an advantage. I cant stand how I have to focus using the main focus scroll then move to the single eye focus, it takes too long. Excuse my ignorance, but are there binos out there that you do not have to focus the one eye in addition to the main focus?

ddd-shooter

I've got a cheap pair of Nikons that I hate. I'd like to get something new. Honestly I never really used binos until a few years ago. With the ones I have now, they are almost more of a disadvantage than they are an advantage. I cant stand how I have to focus using the main focus scroll then move to the single eye focus, it takes too long. Excuse my ignorance, but are there binos out there that you do not have to focus the one eye in addition to the main focus?
Yeah just about all of them at any price point. Lol

rnfarley

Good ones will have a locking diopter, which in theory means that once you compensate for your imbalanced eyes (which we all have to some degree I guess) then it should stay put as you adjust the main knob. My 8x42's lock and work fine. My 8x32's seem to be different at vairious distances and require the dual adjusting more than the 8x42.

chrislibby88

Steiner 8x32. Light, very compact, all the magnification you need. Actually use them for every kind of hunting, not just mountains. Can’t imagine not carrying them now that they are part of my kit. You will find yourself getting a closer look at almost anything with them once you have them. I check feed trees, any movement, deer sign-even if it’s 15-20 ft away, just so I’m not leaving unnecessary scent directly on the sign.

whitetailfreak

I don’t always carry binos. But, my vision is really starting to suck. So, if I am hunting near some thick stuff, or where I can see several hundred yards but it is broken up by trees, I bring a pair of Leopold B-2, 10x42.

This, I often do not carry binos in the mountains.

Buckman18

I’ve hunted the mountains my whole life and have never once carried binoculars. In my estimation, that’d just be something else in the pack and another pound to carry.

I’ve also never had one single hunt where I’ve wished I had a pair and never once can I honestly estimate the success or lack thereof on a hunt was contributed to binoculars in any way.

I know this doesn’t answer your question directly but hopefully it answers it in a way to help you save an unnecessary expense.