State Park hunts..

Blackston

I wish they'd open that state park at lake Blackshear up for a hunt. I'd use all my points on that.
I was there last night for fireworks…. First time I’ve been there …. How’s the deer population? I know it’s in prime deer country!!

Arrow3

I was there last night for fireworks…. First time I’ve been there …. How’s the deer population? I know it’s in prime deer country!!
I stayed there 2 seasons ago while I hunted Flint River wma and there were deer everywhere including several good bucks.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
The last I heard at russell they closed the park, golf course and boat ramp, but they left the campgrounds and cottages open, that was a few years ago, they may have changed. I might give them a call.

What did you find out?

Beagler

What did you find out?
They close the park completely for the deer hunt. That wrecked my train of thought , hunt two days and fish 3 days. O well the deer isn’t in there like they were a few years ago. I’ll just keep my money.?

treadwell

Fdr was supposed to be great when it opened. I didn't even see a deer. Weather wasn't cooperating either though. Panola was good
I killed 5, 4 mature does and a 5 pt. They told us in the meeting, no limits, no restrictions. They even went as far as encouraging us to not pass on anything. (I did). There was three of us in the group and we agreed to help fill freezers.

livetohunt

Any decent bucks shot there last year?
I hike there all the time and have never seen a good buck in 4 years. The overall deer population is fairly low, but I think there should be a good buck or 2 around there. The clubs around the park occasionally kill a good one.

one_shot_no_mor

I was going to apply for Russell, I live about 30 minutes from there, I thought I’d just camp the whole week hunt deer the 2 days and fish the other 3 days. But the campgrounds and all the cottages are already reserved for the hunt. I bet people already reserved the spots and if they don’t get drawn they’ll cancell.
I hunted Russell several years ago. That year, the rule was "kill a doe to earn a buck"...everything I saw...LOTS of them...had horns:mad::mad:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Hope this is okay, but here's an article I put together that breaks down how many points you'll need to draw any of the state park hunts, and how hunters did on these hunts last season (# hunters that showed, # bucks killed, # does, overall success rate, etc). It should help in making a decision for this year - Your Guide to State Park Quota Deer Hunts

Thanks

JB0704

The Original JB
Hope this is okay, but here's an article I put together that breaks down how many points you'll need to draw any of the state park hunts, and how hunters did on these hunts last season (# hunters that showed, # bucks killed, # does, overall success rate, etc). It should help in making a decision for this year - Your Guide to State Park Quota Deer Hunts

I didn't realize there was still deer on Red Top. Thought they knocked the population down pretty good before letting folks hunt it. What was your resource for this info?

I didn't realize there was still deer on Red Top. Thought they knocked the population down pretty good before letting folks hunt it. What was your resource for this info?
All the info in the article comes directly from the Georgia DNR. It's all publicly accessible information, they just don't always make it the easiest to find.

Sixes

I was totally shocked when I saw these "results". I'm not saying they are wrong, but I would like to see the actual kill sheet. I go through there enough to know that the population is not what it once was and 54 deer off of 1700 acres is a bunch.

I was totally shocked when I saw these "results". I'm not saying they are wrong, but I would like to see the actual kill sheet. I go through there enough to know that the population is not what it once was and 54 deer off of 1700 acres is a bunch.
Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 3.39.36 PM.png

Sixes

I know where you got your info, I wasn't trying to cause an issue, it is just hard for me to believe their numbers are right.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

The goal for the SP hunts is to lower the deer population. It seems as if your observations confirm the kill did happen.

JB0704

The Original JB
The goal for the SP hunts is to lower the deer population. It seems as if your observations confirm the kill did happen.

My goal for state parks hunts is to kill public deer. Hoping these numbers are right, but I could'a swore I read or heard that hunt tanked quickly. 20+ years ago you could go up there n see 100+ deer on the right day. Last few times I have been on the park I haven't seen any. Mission accomplished for the state, eye reckon. Just hope to verify that success rate before I spend 7+ points on it. Or, I may just keep on buildin' em n hopes some other park opens up soon. Since I ahve already hunted Panola I'm not going back, enjoy seeing new things, so it's Red Top or points for me I guess. It would be very cool to hunt that park, I spent a lotta afternoons in High school driving through on my way to jump off the cliffs on the corps land.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
They close the park completely for the deer hunt. That wrecked my train of thought , hunt two days and fish 3 days. O well the deer isn’t in there like they were a few years ago. I’ll just keep my money.?

The park will likely only be closed for the hunt days. Fishing on days before or after would be ok.