Chromosome 2 and chromosome 21 and their factors in evolution

WaltL1

No doubt there are some smart animals. There are some compassionate animals. We have some animals that display “human qualities” at times. We have some humans that display animal qualities.

But, the animal isn’t going to make decisions that are in the best interest to their own survival. They’ll drag themselves through dirt with open wounds. Of course there’s the let nature take its course option. That’s what separates humans and animals. We possess the empathy and compassion at a different level. Most humans aren’t ok watching a man or a dog suffer. A dog might lick you a few times but he ain’t worried about getting you any help.
A dog might lick you a few times but he ain’t worried about getting you any help.
Apparently you never watched Lassie. He went and got help every show :bounce:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Apparently you never watched Lassie. He went and got help every show :bounce:
Well, there are exceptions lol.

When I broke my foot my dog just looked around and chased squirrels lol ?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Humans "have it all?" :LOL: Mass genocide? Check! Polluting our planet because of our greed and convenience? Check! Driving other species to extinction, often for our vanity & pleasure? Check! Oh yeah, humans are "the full package" all right! :LOL:

As far as a chicken helping an elderly woman across the road, a chicken won't deliberately drive their vehicle over an elderly woman then stop to steal her purse - stupid useless chickens! :rolleyes:

Thanks walt for taking the words out of my mouth! :mad: A chicken or dog never did that to me BTW.
Most humans won’t lay around in their waste. Check
As far as a chicken helping an elderly woman across the road, a chicken won't deliberately drive their vehicle over an elderly woman

Thanks walt for taking the words out of my mouth! :mad: A chicken or dog never did that to me BTW.
Something tells me a chicken ran over you and you’re still hurt by it lol ?

Joking. Seriously, though, sometimes I wished we could act like animals on this “woke” generation.

oldfella1962

Most humans won’t lay around in their waste. Check

Something tells me a chicken ran over you and you’re still hurt by it lol ?

Joking. Seriously, though, sometimes I wished we could act like animals on this “woke” generation.

Then we would be just as bad as the woke generation. The woke are intolerant "useful idiots" for the left but conservatives have to be the adults in the room to keep them in check.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Then we would be just as bad as the woke generation. The woke are intolerant "useful idiots" for the left but conservatives have to be the adults in the room to keep them in check.
Kind of like the in animals and humans, huh ?

oldfella1962

Seriously though, every species has the abilities it needs to survive & thrive in its own environment. Thus, no species is "superior" to another, and no species can survive in every single environment. Humans have big brains, and we can survive in many different environments, but not every environment. Where we can't survive other simpler species can survive and thrive.

And eventually us "superior" humans will be extinct just like every single other species has gone - or will go - extinct. That is a 100 percent guarantee, with no exceptions.

oldfella1962

Kind of like the in animals and humans, huh ?

Our time is coming! On our way to becoming extinct there will be PLENTY of predators who won't be "in check". ;) Now factor in viruses, bacteria, and other microbes that will hammer us when our civilization implodes - which it will eventually - along with the medical science to protect our diminishing species from those threats. Glad I won't be around to see that!

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Our time is coming! On our way to becoming extinct there will be PLENTY of predators who won't be "in check". ;) Now factor in viruses, bacteria, and other microbes that will hammer us when our civilization implodes - which it will eventually - along with the medical science to protect our diminishing species from those threats. Glad I won't be around to see that!
I hope I’m hung up on 1,000 lb tuna 150 miles off shore when show starts.

ky55

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I see these stories the same as hearing the Narrator at the dolphin show tell us that Flipper says hey when he flaps his fin, or me telling you that Tater, my dog, says hey when he sticks his left paw up every tine I say Tater wave. I bet he had 100 biscuits to get him there - repetition plus treat = training.

Animals are teachable, trainable and extremely smart but what separates us is Koko might actually love that kitten as much my dog loves (prefers) to tote an old flip flop instead of a stick……but Koko isn’t going to know to give the kitten some cat food, a rat, or etc., instead of an orange or banana.

What’d be really fascinating is to get Koko to tell Lassie that Timmy done fell in the well again.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I see these stories the same as hearing the Narrator at the dolphin show tell us that Flipper says hey when he flaps his fin, or me telling you that Tater, my dog, says hey when he sticks his left paw up every tine I say Tater wave. I bet he had 100 biscuits to get him there - repetition plus treat = training.

Animals are teachable, trainable and extremely smart but what separates us is Koko might actually love that kitten as much my dog loves (prefers) to tote an old flip flop instead of a stick……but Koko isn’t going to know to give the kitten some cat food, a rat, or etc., instead of an orange or banana.

What’d be really fascinating is to get Koko to tell Lassie that Timmy done fell in the well again.
Your extent to watching Koko is obviously the now two links I've posted about her in two different threads.
Communicating through sign language where Koko expresses her feeling, asks for things, suggests things, and converses as a person would expressing themselves is not a trick. Especially when having conversations with others who are not her tricks teacher.
I would suggest watching the hours of videos about her found on youtube before you submit your thesis on behavioral capabilities of apes and gorillas. You may want to erase some things. Let me know when your dog uses the same sign language that humans do. To use it the mind must be capable of learning it, understanding it and then also capable of expressing it.
Koko "speaks" fitting to the occasion. She doesn't just throw out random words that have nothing to do with what is going on.
In this case it isn't Polly want a cracker.
Polly can tell you that she wants a Ritz with PB&J on it, strawberry jelly not grape and ask you to bring Robin Williams some too because they are having a conversation or else she'd get it herself. No where near dangling a banana in front of her and commanding her to sit, give you her hand , nor is it a trainer telling you what Koko is saying..Koko tells you herself.

These things are hard to watch for some people because they go against the grain of another set of beliefs of which there is direct evidence that refutes those beliefs.

Thr original Planet of the Apes with Heston sends a good message in a role reversal. Watch that again.
I've seen it 100 times but never got the irony untl later in life.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Your extent to watching Koko is obviously the now two links I've posted about her in two different threads.
Communicating through sign language where Koko expresses her feeling, asks for things, suggests things, and converses as a person would expressing themselves is not a trick. Especially when having conversations with others who are not her tricks teacher.
I would suggest watching the hours of videos about her found on youtube before you submit your thesis on behavioral capabilities of apes and gorillas. You may want to erase some things. Let me know when your dog uses the same sign language that humans do. To use it the mind must be capable of learning it, understanding it and then also capable of expressing it.
Koko "speaks" fitting to the occasion. She doesn't just throw out random words that have nothing to do with what is going on.
In this case it isn't Polly want a cracker.
Polly can tell you that she wants a Ritz with PB&J on it, strawberry jelly not grape and ask you to bring Robin Williams some too because they are having a conversation or else she'd get it herself. No where near dangling a banana in front of her and commanding her to sit, give you her hand , nor is it a trainer telling you what Koko is saying..Koko tells you herself.

These things are hard to watch for some people because they go against the grain of another set of beliefs of which there is direct evidence that refutes those beliefs.

Thr original Planet of the Apes with Heston sends a good message in a role reversal. Watch that again.
I've seen it 100 times but never got the irony untl later in life.
It doesn’t go against my beliefs. I’m just saying I’m skeptical because it’s a person telling us what Koko is saying. I see that no different than than the narrator saying Flipper says…..

All I’m saying is Koko is smart, but does Koko really know what all of those sign language talk means or just knows what Koko is taught? My dog can pout but not because he’s sad.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
It doesn’t go against my beliefs. I’m just saying I’m skeptical because it’s a person telling us what Koko is saying. I see that no different than than the narrator saying Flipper says…..

All I’m saying is Koko is smart, but does Koko really know what all of those sign language talk means or just knows what Koko is taught? My dog can pout but not because he’s sad.
Id be more concerned that the Gorilla can understand and speak a human devised form of language and you can't! Not knocking you for not knowing sign language but I am wondering how you can question something that you don't know anything about.

How would Koko or anything respond on point if they didn't understand what was asked, didn't have the brain capability to think and didn't have the capability to reply?
Koko doesn't reply with one word that has nothing to do with what is said or asked. She uses multiple words that all have to do with making of a sentence that conforms to the topic at hand.
If you want to watch it and see parlor tricks you are going to see parlor tricks because that is what you want to see. There isn't any more tangible evidence for the capabilities of our close cousins than that.