Opening Weekend

humblehunter22

That beautiful time of the year is almost here folks, not to terribly much longer before we will get the green light for opening day of bow season here in a few weeks time. That being said many of y'all planning on trying your luck out on public for the opener? I have been battling back from vehicle issues left and right it seems like most of the summer so I believe I am not going to test my luck and head south and instead try my hand out on some local public that I am very familiar with much closer to the house. Managed to do a limited amount of scouting for an area I have in mind to set up on for the weekend and see what happens. Oddly enough feel pretty comfortable with the decision and even though may not see anything opening weekend I feel like with the conditions I am working around I feel like I have a good grasp on the area I am considering hunting just have to get in there and wait em out if they decide to venture my way while I am in the stand.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Good luck ! I’ll probably be on some local public land also . Unless I have a decent buck showing up regular on one of my private spots .

humblehunter22

Good luck ! I’ll probably be on some local public land also . Unless I have a decent buck showing up regular on one of my private spots .

Good deal same to you ant. I had some funky buck luck last year, so hoping for some of the same ju ju this year going into the season. Got some history with the area I have in mind to venture out and typically have logged alot of buck activity in years past running cams in the general area. Wish I had the ability to do the same this summer and had some cams soaking in the area but I know the layout of the terrain, the sign is there in plenty just a matter of waiting em out and seeing what moves about while in the stand. Be plenty satisfied to see some does early on regardless right now vs holding out for a surprise stud.

DEERFU

I use my hunting club as a base camp for the close wma's near Talbot county. I just love hunting different places. I will also hit the local wma's in NW Ga. good luck out there

humblehunter22

I use my hunting club as a base camp for the close wma's near Talbot county. I just love hunting different places. I will also hit the local wma's in NW Ga. good luck out there

Definitely a solid strategy, I am the same way any more I just about like bouncing around with my climber setting in new to me areas vs staying stationary over 1 primary spot. Granted if buck fever sets in sure I will try and stay put for a few hunts but other than that there is way to much accessible land open to the general public out there to not take advantage of it and do some exploring. Hoping to try out Cohutta a time or 2 before much longer.

DEERFU

Definitely a solid strategy, I am the same way any more I just about like bouncing around with my climber setting in new to me areas vs staying stationary over 1 primary spot. Granted if buck fever sets in sure I will try and stay put for a few hunts but other than that there is way to much accessible land open to the general public out there to not take advantage of it and do some exploring. Hoping to try out Cohutta a time or 2 before much longer.
Beautiful place but rugged! Loaded with bears right now

humblehunter22

Beautiful place but rugged! Loaded with bears right now

That's what I have heard, hoping to dedicate some time this coming spring and summer to do some pack trips out there and try to find some huntable areas to target them. Have heard a lot of talk about locating white oaks especially then focusing on finding the trees that will inevitably begin dropping early and go from there far as hunting them goes.

diamondback

I do most of my hunting until November on public. I’ve been scouting several of the public areas within 1 1/2 hour from my house about 3 days a weak since the end of July. I haven’t decided on where to start on the opener but have decided it will be more focused on quality than meat this year so that will likely figure in on which areas I hit.

humblehunter22

I do most of my hunting until November on public. I’ve been scouting several of the public areas within 1 1/2 hour from my house about 3 days a weak since the end of July. I haven’t decided on where to start on the opener but have decided it will be more focused on quality than meat this year so that will likely figure in on which areas I hit.

10/4 Diamondback yes sir seems like a smart decision that is for sure. I myself am not to bent out of shape about committing to hunt closer to the house on public vs fighting the heat and bugs at the lease down south. I am torn for the most part I am looking to start out on a good note hopefully enough and find a few sizeable does to put in the freezer but in the same regards for me I have identified the hottest for my experience buck favorable area on some local to me public that I have concentrated numerous trips to the woods specifically to learn the particular area in question out from all angles possible and try to get a concrete idea of the deer activity within the area. Outside of that will mainly rely on past experiences and knowledge of other areas I have ventured to in the past in the search for freezer meat.