Saddle Hunting

j_seph

Sure enough thinking of giving it a try, here is my dumb question for the day. Do any of y'all wear a safety harness as well? Reason I ask, not seeing many accident reports from using a saddle however there was the one guy who on the way to get out of the tree whos saddle broke and he fell 23 feet.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hillbilly stalker

I believe that was his lineman’s belt that broke ( along with his back). He even admitted it was old and battered. He’ s a lucky man, if he wasn’t so muscled up he would be a cripple at least.

Gl4di4torRr

Sure enough thinking of giving it a try, here is my dumb question for the day. Do any of y'all wear a safety harness as well? Reason I ask, not seeing many accident reports from using a saddle however there was the one guy who on the way to get out of the tree whos saddle broke and he fell 23 feet.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I use 8mm sterling rope for my lineman's belt and tether with Kong duck ascender/blocker and a prusik backup. I can take a picture if you want. The sterling rope is like 4000lb breaking strength.

ALWAYS DO AN ANNUAL INSPECTION!

j_seph

I use 8mm sterling rope for my lineman's belt and tether with Kong duck ascender/blocker and a prusik backup. I can take a picture if you want. The sterling rope is like 4000lb breaking strength.

ALWAYS DO AN ANNUAL INSPECTION!
Picture sounds great

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
You are hanging and hunting from your saddle the entire time. Maybe his buckle or something broke on his safety harness. He doesn’t really say, but in the tree it looks like a carabiner he is hanging from. That makes me think saddle, but it could be part of a safety fall arrest type harness(HSS), Not sure.

AACDD8BE-7448-48C0-B17B-E8D6C52C2D8A.jpeg

If you want to watch an informative saddle video, type in 1 stick climbing method :rockon:

Sargent

I have an original Tree Saddle. It uses straps instead of ropes. I have used a secondary rope system with a prussic knot. I don't do that anymore because, as bfriendly said- the saddle is the harness.

Having said that- People take liberties with tree saddle equipment to shave an extra quarter ounce. When they make all these mods and use aftermarket equipment, the original integrity of the saddle may be compromised. Are they "upgrading" the ropes to high quality static climbing line, or twine from Home Depot?

It is my belief that if used as designed, you are safer than any other method of hunting out of a tree.

Also- the thing that makes the difference is a good quality platform. Don't rely on the top step of your climbing sticks as a rest. Your feet will hate you for that.

Wear kneepads, too.

Gl4di4torRr

Picture sounds great

I have a prusik attached to my carabiner. If the rope breaks at the Kong duck, the prusik will catch me.
PXL_20220816_173831579.jpg

I just do a figure eight with a stopper knot. Electrical tape just to hold everything in place.
PXL_20220816_173837968.jpg

Additional things you could try. Attach a prusik on each side from the lineman's belt to the tether loops. If the lineman's belt loops break, you would have a backup. Just depends how far you want to go with backups. I feel safe with the cruzr linemans loops.

Gl4di4torRr

Also, I have a prusik backup above my Kong duck on my tether. I didn't show this but some thing as my lineman's belt.

XJfire75

The saddle is the harness and when used correctly you’re always connected to the tree whether with your lineman’s rope or tree tether. Safest way to climb and hunt on the market IMO. And have 360 degree shootability.