Why?!?

brutally honest

I saw yet another guy yesterday fishing with his spinning reel upside down — not hanging below the rod but above the rod.

Not only was he reeling backwards, but he was casting like this, too. It looked incredibly awkward, and he was getting pitiful distance on his casts.

Do some people not know how to use a spinning reel? Or do they just prefer to do it backwards? :huh:

OwlRNothing

Did you offer to show him the right way to do it? I'm sure any sane person would love to go from doing it like you described to doing it the right way. Of course, these days someone is just as likely to be terribly offended by you offering help, so ymmv on that I guess.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I used to pier fish a lot. From Tybee all the way around to The Skyway.

The improper use of spinning reels is usually not something that people want to be educated about for some reason, in my experience.

These folks are also the ones that usually cross other peoples' lines, and refuse to try and do better.

Ain't never seen one of these googans wearing the fish out, either... ?

brutally honest

The improper use of spinning reels is usually not something that people want to be educated about for some reason, in my experience.

These folks are also the ones that usually cross other peoples' lines, and refuse to try and do better.

This was the vibe I was getting from the guy. He did not seem very friendly.

Normally, I’m happy to help people out (especially kids), but I did not offer in this case.

Anvil Head

Old Sears Catalogue often showed ol' Joe Cool holding one upside down. Once the reel was mounted on a baitcaster instead of spinning rod. We saw a lot of that kind of stuff growing up.
They even had a pic once of a guy wearing a bandoleer of shotgun shells and holding a Remington 742 with rising pheasants in the background. Always a hoot to find those.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Humans is the stoopidest peoples.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Most everyone I have seen hold the reel upside down were casual fishermen that started out with a spincast rig.

Once had a retired game warden in my boat ant that is how he fished a spinning rod. Casted with the reel down and retrieved with the reel up. Went through all those movements with every cast. Gave him a spincast my wife uses and he was good.

Anvil Head

Reminds me of a time I took a friend down to skinny water salt to fish for Reds and Trout. He'd never caught anything bigger than a bluegill. Let him use one of my trout rods loaded with a gold spoon. We were tearing up a pool of nice keeper trout when I noticed he would reel a bit then stop and shake his hand then go back at it.
Watched him for a moment and realized I had not tightened the handle nut when I gave it to him (I always fold my handles down for travel). I told him to let me see the rod for a minute as something didn't look right, turned my back on him and tightened the nut. Handed back to him and said it should work better. It did, but I never told him what I did - gotta keep some mysteries to yourself.
He wound up wearing the gold coating off that Little Cleo that week, so all good!

hopper

I went fishing with a guy once that hooked a big night crawler to the front hook of a crank bait. He said it will look like the little fish is chasing the worm. I said huh I've never seen a worm try to swim away.