Truck camper question?

Hit-n-Miss

I see pictures of campers all the time that people have on little trucks, that according to the dry weight a 1/2 ton can't carry. How come everyone says that a 1/2 ton can't carry a camper if the camper(dry weight) and people/gear are at max weight? What gives? The truck is a 5.3 trailboss does it not already have a beefed up suspension? I want to do mods that won't make it ride like a chuck wagon without the camper on. Why couldn't I just install Sumosprings(supposed to not effect ride unloaded) in place of the old stops and drive in towhaul mode with the camper on? Camper would only be on truck for vacations and off the rest of the time. I am not going rock climbing with it. Staying on pavement and going to state parks and campgrounds is the plan. Surely someone has some real life experience with this. Thanks

Tight Lines

I don't have that specific truck but I can say that I've had GM trucks with the 5.3 and the 5.7 in them. The Trail Boss is a 1/2 ton and the 5.3 is likely 300 HP? You can put a camper on it, as long as all of the weight is within specs.

You can add air bags or helper springs to help with the squat, but you can't increase the load capacity of the truck. That's structural and mechanical i.e. brakes, transmission, gearing, frame...

Tight Lines

I just looked, it's 355 HP 383 torque and 1800 lbs. payload. If you have 2 adults 2 kids you only have 1300 lbs. of available payload right?

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
I just looked, it's 355 HP 383 torque and 1800 lbs. payload. If you have 2 adults 2 kids you only have 1300 lbs. of available payload right?
..and that's what over limits probably 75% of rigs on the roads today. Tricky math how manufacturers claim towing capacity, you'll over limit carrier capacity long before you get close to towing capacity. (Usually)

ryanh487

People put way more weight on trucks than they're supposed to carry all the time. Any truck CAN haul well over its limit as long as the fenders aren't binding the tires from sag. But the limits are what the truck is engineered to effectively carry without premature and excessive wear on the transmission, suspension, engine and differentials. Stupid people putting too much weight on their trucks is why I would never buy a used truck from an individual.

Last edited:

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
That's structural and mechanical i.e. brakes, transmission, gearing, frame...
In 2020 one Silverado had the gvw/tow upped about 1500lbs from previous year because the cooling efficiency outperformed calculations. Just another example of factors effecting weight ratings.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Friend of mine had one of these. If I bought a truck camper it would be this. Low CG to travel, plenty of room to camp in.

http://alaskancampers.com/

Tight Lines

..and that's what over limits probably 75% of rigs on the roads today. Tricky math how manufacturers claim towing capacity, you'll over limit carrier capacity long before you get close to towing capacity. (Usually)
That's been my issue, I have a 1/2 ton and normally always have since I never tow anything more than the SxS and I just can't find a camper that is worth the cost that I can afford if it meets the weight requirement...

Last edited:

ryanh487

Don't forget to add in gas and all your fluids, those aren't included in the dry weight of the vehicle that the payload capacity is based on

DustyRoads

My last 2 trucks (both late model 2500 Rams)I put air bladders(5000LBS) and Rancho 9 way adjustables....easily does the trick for anything I have and it's a breeze to adjust when empty.
**Make sure your tires can carry the weight**

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
That's been my issue, I have a 1/2 ton and normally always have since I never tow anything more than the SxS and I just can't find a camper that is worth the cost that I can afford if it meets the weight requirement...
I think that I am going to go ahead and unload my pop up while they are bringing top dollar. 'Toys' are starting to show up along the sides of the road for sale. This is a good sign that the economy is taking its toll on folks with a recession coming no doubt. I read somewhere that camper sales during the first two years of covid was up something like 4000%. That is insane!

Tight Lines

What about the trucks pulling those campers!
That too! I saw a rig out West at Flaming Gorge that was a 4WD Mercedes Sprinter pulling a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited with about $15K of bikes on it...I'd guess it was over $300K in toys...must be nice!

Last edited: