The Trinity

BanjoPicker

ELOHIM. This is the Hebrew word for "God" in Gen 1:1 and 2,700 other places the Old Testament. It is a uni-plural noun meaning "God's" and is so translated 239 times (Gen. 3:5; Ex. 22:28; 1 Sam. 4:8; Dan. 2:11; 4:6-9; 5:11, 14). It is the plural of Eloah meaning deity and God. It is used in the plural with the definite article of supreme God. It is translated "Judges" Ex. 21;6; 22:8, 9) and "angels" (Ps. 8:5). Sometimes Elohim is used in connection with the plural verbs and pronouns, as seen in Hebrew text of God. Gen 20:13, " the Gods, they caused me to wander" and in Gen.35:7, "there the gods they appeared unto him. Many times, plural pronouns are used of God in referring to the different members of the God-head, as "us" Gen. 1:26; 3:22; 11:7; Isa. 6:8; Jn. 17:21), "our" Gen. 1:23; Jn. 14:23), "we" Jn. 14:23; 17:11, 22) and "their Ps. 2:3.

First second and third personal pronouns are used hundreds of times in Scripture of one, two, or three persons in the Deity. Some of these are used OF men To and CONCERNING different members of the Deity TO and OF each other. In John 17 alone Jesus uses 162 pronouns in speaking TO and OF His Father. In Ps. 119 there are 610 pronouns used of man TO and of God. Other chapters in the Bible have many like pronouns and they are all used right and should be understood in the same sense in connection with God as s we understand them when they are used of other subjects. When the different members of the Deity speak TO and OF each other just like men do, should accuse them of misrepresenting themselves and of not being able to properly use the human language. We have more right to believe that only one person is referred to when men use first, second, and third personal singular and plural pronouns OF and TO each other, as to believe there is only one person referred to when the members of the Godhead use them OF and TO each other.

When singular pronouns are used of Deity it is one of the three persons of the Trinity speaking of Himself or as representing the whole Godhead, or it is one of the three divine persons speaking to another one concerning a third person of the Trinity, as it is clear in Jn. 14:16, 17, 26; 15:26; 16:7-15; 17:1-25.

BanjoPicker

In the Old Testament it was the Father who was the prominent speaker (Heb. 1:1-3; Acts 3:21); in the gospels the Son was the prominent speaker (Jn. 5:47; 6:33; 8:26, 28, 38; 12:49, 50; 17:8); and now it is the Holy Spirit who is the prominent speaker (Jn. 14:23; 15:26; 16:13-15; Acts 2:4; 13:2; 15:28; 20:28).
Singular pronouns are sometimes used of the whole Godhead as a unit. (Ex. 20:3; Isa. 44:6, 8; 45:5, 21; 46:9; Hos. 13:4), just like the whole church as the body of Christ as a unit is spoken of as a "man" and "he" (Eph. 2:14, 15; 4:13; 5:25-27; 2 Thess. 2:7, 8).
The one Elohim then is not one person, or one in number, but one in unity. Elohim is not a divided Deity, but three persons in one, "one God" or one Deity. The word itself does not say there are three, but merely that Deity is in the plural. God is thus referred to in the plural twice as many times as the word "Jesus" is found in both Testaments.

BanjoPicker

YEHOVAH. This is the Hebrew word for "Lord" in Duet. 6:4 and 7,600 times in the Old Testament. It means the self-existent, eternal and immutable one, or unity. It does not tell us how many persons are in the "One [unified] Lord," but the Scriptures mention three persons who are called "Lord" and who are self-existent" and "eternal" and therefore, all of them can be called "Jehovah." In Gen. 19:24; Ps. 110:1; Mt. 22:44; Zech. 2:10, 11; we have the Father and the Son both called "Lord," Ex. 16:7 with Heb. 3:7, 8 and Isa. 6:8, 9 with Acts 28:25 and Ex. 17:7, with Heb. 3:7-9 and Jer. 33:31-34 with Heb. 10:15, 16 prove that the Holty Spirit is also "Lord" or "Jehovah." All three are called "God." Jehovah is rendered "Jehovah" four times (Ex. 6:3; Ps. 83:18; Isa. 12:2; 26:4). Jehovah is used in many compound names of Deity.

BanjoPicker

El. This is the Hebrew word for "God" in 250 places. It means the Strong One, or Elohim the Omnipotent, while Elohim is God the Creator, putting His omnipotence to work. All three persons are also omnipotent.

BanjoPicker

Eloah. This is the Hebrew word for "God" in 56 places. It is Elohim who is to be worshipped. It is the name of God when worship of idols is contrasted to worship of the true God. It is "the living God" in contrast to dead gods. It means Deity and God.

BanjoPicker

Elyon. This is the Hebrew word for "Most High" and it is so translated 40 times. It means the Supreme, Most High, Highest, Lofty. It is El, the possessor of Heaven and Earth, and Elohim, the creator of Heaven and Earth. It is translated "High" (Ps. 78:35; Dan. 4:2); and "higher" in referring to Jesus as God's "first-born" (Ps. 89:27). Jesus of the New Testament is never called the Most High, but only the Son of the Most High God (Mk. 5:7; Lk. 1:32-35; 8:28). Angels, when Christ was born, sang to the "God in the highest," who was not Jesus (Lk. 2:14). The Father is still the "head of Christ" (1 Cor. 11:3); so He is rightfully the Most High God.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
“For I would that ye knew what great conflict I have for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh;”

“As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily”

Who’s “him”? Who’s face was not seen by some in the flesh?

I no see 3.

Last edited:

gordon 2

If you ever want to wander into heresy, just start trying to define the Trinity.
The Trinity is the Divine Truth personified. Divine Truth is the motivation and essence of the Divine revealed by three distinct manifestations of God said also One that are especially relevant to the life of the man of faith.

Man can know the Father a person as apart of himself and Christ a person as a part of himself and the Holy Spirit a person sharing and revealing not only three persons in Divine union said One but also of Divine Truth shared equally in all so that in unity with man who is said created in the image of God this man is so able due His Devine Truth to live and know God as One and Trinity and so to know also himself fully in the spiritual sense.

The Trinity is the Divine Truth personified and so God as One made approachable to the man of faith so that His Truth can be apprehended by man.

I just had to. When a parent says don't touch the hot stove... sometimes you just have to.

Did you ever wonder why Jesus said, "The Father is greater than I"? As a Christian this makes me pause and search with the Holy Spirit. " If no man is saved but through Christ, why is the Father greater than Jesus? How about if in the world the man of faith did and continues to know Divine Truth as of God out there and opposed to God other there and in man?

“For God (FATHER) so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Maybe. In any case since the ministry of Christ, God has made himself approachable as a Trinity and yet as the One God of Creation.

Last edited:

Madman

The Trinity is the Divine Truth personified. Divine Truth is the motivation and essence of the Divine revealed by three distinct manifestations of God said also One that are relevant to the life of man.

Man can know the Father a person as apart of himself and Christ a person as a part of himself and the Holy Spirit a person sharing and revealing not only three persons in Divine union said One but also for Divine Truth shared equally in all so that in unity with man who is said created in the image of God man is so able due Devine Truth to live and know God as One and Trinity and so to know himself fully in the spiritual sense

The Trinity is the Divine Truth personified and so God as one made approachable to the man of faith.

I just had to. When a parent says don't touch the hot stove... sometimes you just have to.
Can I get you a bandage?

gordon 2

Oh and I forgot this. What is Devine Truth? chose one.

A) Love

B) Wrath is mine.

C) I am the God of second chances.

D) There is only one way to get it right.

gordon 2

Hope you break the wishbone.

gordon 2

The idea that God is a trinity and/or simply One are/is personification of the eternal I am who I am and so the all in all.

I have always found it interesting that to "explain" or "to comment" on the witness of the creator that creates is impossible and somehow left to mystery by a faith group that claims salvation, Christ in themselves and the benefactor Eternal Life.

After all, when we comment on the personification of God as Trinity, and so even God being single personification or we say " God is a Spirit" when quoting scripture we are in fact heretical of the event itself that we can explain away as "that was God" or "that was The Glory" or by some tongue twisting words that Jesus still witnesses to us in a personal way.

Our testimonies fall flat when they are forged with language within time, but by now you would think that with so many saved individuals and by definition many having witnessed Eternal Life that some words used to define the Trinity would have their origins unique to the experience of Eternal life.

Maybe that is why Paul spoke in tongues...when things needed to get really real and clear? Maybe. Maybe the reason why miracles are a feature of Christianity is that our words, the way we agency them, become futile of the exact truth even in the most inspired pulpit sometimes.

The least personification of deity or inspiration of deity I have found so far is perhaps the Jewish use of the word "Spark". Now a spark say from the strike of two rocks together in normal circumstance is not much of anything in time or substance but it is not corrupted by much of anything else.

Last edited:

BanjoPicker

Adon. This is the Hebrew word for "Lord," and it is so translated 195 times in the Old Testament. It means Sovereign, Ruler, Master. Adonai is the emphatic form of Adon and is translated "Lord" 430 times in the Old Testament. It is also translated "Lords" 4 times (Gen. 19:2; Deut. 10:17; Ps.136:3; Isa. 26:13). There are two Adonais mentioned in Ps. 110:1 and referred to in the New Testament as the Father and the Son Matt. 22:44.

A few other names of God in the Old Testament are "JAH" Ps. 68:4, 18; "I AM THAT I AM" and "I AM" Ex. 3:13-15; "God Almighty" Ex. 6:3; "Lord God" Gen. 2:4 and hundreds of times; "Jealous" Ex. 34:14; "The Lord of Hosts" Isa. 47:4 and 281 other times; "Holy" Isa. 57:15; and many other names, thus proving that the doctrine that "Jesus" is the only God and the only name of that God is unscriptural. If God said these were His names and some human beings say they are not His names, who are we to believe? Some believe that all these names are titles signifying office, rank, or relationship, but this is mere human theory and contradicts the Scriptures which say they are real names.

God's names are found over 19,000 times in the Bible in connection with His eternal plan of creation and redemption of all things and His eternal rulership over all creations Dan. 2:44, 45; 7:13, 14, 27; Lk. 1:32, 33; 1 Cor. 15:24-28; Eph. 1:10; 2:7; Rev. 5:10; 11:15; 22:4, 5.

BanjoPicker

NAMES OF GOD IN THE NEW TESTAMENT

Theos. This is the Greek word for "God" and is used 1,332 times in the New Testament. It means Deity and God, and with the definite article means the Supreme Deity. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are all called God.

Kurios. This is the Greek word for "Lord" and is used 672 times in the New Testament. It means Lord, Master, and Sir and is used of man 31 times.

Iesous. This is the Greek word for "Jesus" 979 times in the New Testament. It is the Greek form of the Hebrew Yehowshua, rendered "Joshua" 215 times in the Old Testament. Joshua of the Old Testament is called "Jesus" in the New Testament in Acts 7:45; Heb. 4:8. Jesus is never the name of the Father or of the Spirit in either Testament, and it was not the name of the second person of the Godhead until He became man and the Son of God about 1900 years ago. It is the human name of the Son of God.

BanjoPicker

Christos. This is the Greek word which we translate "Christ" and it is used 575 times in the New Testament. It literally means anointed and is equivalent of the Hebrew mashiyach, translated "Messiah" twice in the Old Testament Dan. 9;24-26 and twice in the New Testament John 1:41; 4;25. Like the name of Jesus, it has no reference to Deity, but to the humanity of Jesus Christ, who became the Christ or the Anointed One thirty years after He was born in a human body and after He was named "Jesus."