Okay Woods Hogs (Newbie help)

Cobb86

Hi Folks,

Newbie here, first post from earlier today is in the new member intro thread. Jist of it is I am brand new to hunting and need a lot help, haha.

Considering heading to Oaky Woods next weekend to chase hogs as my wife and son are out of town. Would be using a bow. Not a marksman but I can shoot 20-25 yards just fine. However, given that I am a total novice and do not know the area, is a public land hog spot & stalk way out of my league? I understand chances of success are slim, but don't want to be miserable either.

If I'm not insane, where do hogs hang out in this WMA? I don't mean specific GPS coordinates; but what type of topography or land features am I looking for while e-scouting?

Is Oaky Woods area pretty wet and marshy? What type of footwear/clothing would one recommend? Are there any facilities on site for skinning out and quartering?

In the event a miracle occurs, any advice on hauling the pig out of the woods? Gut on site, drag it out? Quarter it? Can you avoid gutting it? I've never actually had to field dress and quarter an animal, but I don't mind getting dirty and figuring it out. YouTube helps a lot, but at some point one has to jump in the pool.

Amy other thoughts/advice/tips/guidance is highly appreciated. Please feel free to PM, I understand some don't want things made public, but I'll take all the help I can get.

And if anyone familiar with the area has some time next weekend...I'm happy to buy dinner and drinks at the end of the day. Sorry for the long post.

Best,
ST (Cobb86)

sportsman94

Cobb, I live close to the wma and have spent time out there. There is planted pines with hardwood bottoms. Closer to the river is where you’ll find more swampy areas. If it was early in bow season I’d give you advice, but just don’t think it’d be applicable right now since most of the mast is gone. Find the food next to a thicket and you should find the hogs. Water oaks are probably about all you’ll find that still have mast and most of them have probably played out. Im not positive what they eat right now. I’d probably plan to walk the river bottoms as far as you feel like walking, but I also don’t have much experience hunting them there this late. They don’t have a cleaning station. I’d bring a backpack and some pillow cases or trash bags. You can do the gutless method of quartering and will be way easier to carry than to drag. Good luck!

Thetrooper

I hunted oaky and ocmulgee a few years ago a bit of advice I would suggest is to not get hung up on sign. Man even fresh sign. There are pigs up and about moving but they cover ground and a lot at night. That place was covered in hog sign I didn't make a kill but I did run into 2 groups of hogs but couldn't pull a shot off in the thick cover. Just keep moving til you find some. Listen for squeals and grunting hogs are pretty noisy when you get a few of them rooting around together

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
As someone else mentioned they don't have a cleaning station. The gutless method is about the easiest way and them just pack it out. There are some good YouTube videos on how to use the gutless method. The thick nasty stuff seems to hold them the most there late season. Find the thickest clear cut you can find. Then look for the hog runs going in and out. Las time I was down I found them down old school bus road and down deep road. Haven't been in a while but last time I was on down deep road 4wd was a necessity. Also be aware that the river level can change and flood the swamps quickly. Good luck.

Oldstick

What about the areas surrounding the Houston Co. landfill, is that still open? Seems like food garbage and hogs would be a natural attraction. But the last time I checked the map, that area was much smaller than it used to be, so one problem would be learning exactly where the boundary lines are and risking possible encounters with all the local Barney Fife hunt club members insanely jealous over having any portion of the WMA bordering their leases.

DAVE

I have had good luck late in the evening standing quiet on high ground listening for them and then moving right into them from down wind. My best advice would be to not shoot a big one unless you are on pest control. If using a bow I also would recommend not shooting a big boar in the chest area from the side due to his shield.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Only thing about wild pigs and finding them that am sure of is they love pines. THe thicker the better, but pines and the edges of said trees is where I’d be. Definitely GO! You have probably as good a chance at Oaky as most other WMAs…..and I’ll call it a reasonable chance. The bow will certainly make it more difficult, but so what! Go find them! Have fun!

Cobb86

IMG_20230129_095854942.jpg
Thank you for all the replies! Ended up finding at outfitter in South GA so I could use a rifle, didn't feel like I could realistically get within bow range with such little experience. It was definitely worth the price though!

Been slowly processing her this week; basically no experience butchering but I'm the primary cook in our house so it actually isn't too bad to work through and learn as I go. Already made a batch of Italian sausage, which is excellent.

Hope to learn more from folks on here in the future! Appreciate all the kind words.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Woohoo!! Yessir!! Way to go and a big fat congratulations! I bet that was a blast! And some fine eatin too!

Blackston

Awesome!!!!
View attachment 1207985
Thank you for all the replies! Ended up finding at outfitter in South GA so I could use a rifle, didn't feel like I could realistically get within bow range with such little experience. It was definitely worth the price though!

Been slowly processing her this week; basically no experience butchering but I'm the primary cook in our house so it actually isn't too bad to work through and learn as I go. Already made a batch of Italian sausage, which is excellent.

Hope to learn more from folks on here in the future! Appreciate all the kind words.