38 Special Loads w/ 125 grain Hornady XTP - Powders

Michael F Sights

Hello! Looking for your favorite powders/loads for a 38 Special w Hornady 125grain XTP. Been handloading for many years for rifles, but new to the pistol handloads.

Will be using in a S & W 27.

Thank you in advance!

woods&water

Had good results with Win 231 in .38 with all bullet weights. 231 is good in most midbore pistols and makes exceptional self defense light bullet loads.
Low flash, accurate, and low recoil with max velocity loads in short barrel concealed carry weapons.

White Horse

If you are using a model 27, you might do better using .357 magnum cases. While .38s can certainly be fired in a 27, they will usually be less accurate than a .357. The loading manual for .357 will have several lighter loads if that’s what you are trying to achieve.

Michael F Sights

If you are using a model 27, you might do better using .357 magnum cases. While .38s can certainly be fired in a 27, they will usually be less accurate than a .357. The loading manual for .357 will have several lighter loads if that’s what you are trying to achieve.
Thank you! I've been looking for 357 Brass....None to be had! But your idea, is my plan when I find some.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

I believe you can back order 357 brass on Starlinebrass.com
I've had some backordered for a while now.

I was hoping to have some lighter loads for range use...and to work on my crappy skills with double action revolvers.

I'm going to go ahead and clean up the piles of .38 Special brass that Dad gave me and use it instead.

I'll have to deal with the carbon rings once they occur after using the shorter .38spcl cases. Hoping I'll have some good results with the Bore Tech carbon remover.

frankwright

I've had some backordered for a while now.

I was hoping to have some lighter loads for range use...and to work on my crappy skills with double action revolvers.

I'm going to go ahead and clean up the piles of .38 Special brass that Dad gave me and use it instead.

I'll have to deal with the carbon rings once they occur after using the shorter .38spcl cases. Hoping I'll have some good results with the Bore Tech carbon remover.
I shoot many hundreds of .38 Spls every year shooting ICORE Revolver matches and practicing for the same.
I use a stainless chamber brush in my stainless revolvers, chucked up in a drill to get the cylinders spotless. Lewis Lead removers use to be the recommended product.
A Copper Chore Boy wrapped around a bore brush works very well to get lead/copper/carbon out. You have to be sure it is copper. The cheap ones they sell stick to a magnet, meaning there is something else in there and that will scratch your bore/cylinders.

I prefer LongShot for warmer .38 loads with a 125gr bullet.
As most of my .38’s are either Bullseye or PPC match guns, they don’t see warm loads of any description.
Before LongShot, I preferred Accurate #5. Third was HS-6.

For match accuracy, Bullseye or #231, followed of course by Unique and Acc.#2.
I don’t often use the 125’s in a .38 as it takes the upper level loads to get expansion. Without expansion, you might as well be using a much less expensive cast bullet.
When I do use a 125grJHP, it’s with a .357mag and H110 or #2400.

Secondly it requires resighting the guns if previously sighted for a 148 or 158gr bullet…. There’s about 4”-6” difference at 25yds with a 4”bbl.

Michael F Sights

I prefer LongShot for warmer .38 loads with a 125gr bullet.
As most of my .38’s are either Bullseye or PPC match guns, they don’t see warm loads of any description.
Before LongShot, I preferred Accurate #5. Third was HS-6.

For match accuracy, Bullseye or #231, followed of course by Unique and Acc.#2.
I don’t often use the 125’s in a .38 as it takes the upper level loads to get expansion. Without expansion, you might as well be using a much less expensive cast bullet.
When I do use a 125grJHP, it’s with a .357mag and H110 or #2400.

Secondly it requires resighting the guns if previously sighted for a 148 or 158gr bullet…. There’s about 4”-6” difference at 25yds with a 4”bbl.
Thanks!