7mm mag vs 30.06

Bobby Bigtime

My 110 7mag police tactical is absolutely the most accurate rifle I own. Shoots sub 1/2 Moa every time I have took it to the range. Was the 2nd rifle I ever bought after my enfield .303. Will never let it go. Didn't own a 30-06 until about 2015 which was also a savage 110.
Every one of the savage 110 police tactical rifles I have been around regardless of caliber have been absolute tack drivers.

Lilly001

I bought a ‘64 Winchester model 70 in 30-06 for the first gun I ever bought. I was a teen in PA in the early 70’s. It served me well until I gave it to my Dad in the mid 80’s. He used it sporadically and he gave it back to me before he died.
I put a new Boyds walnut stock and a Zeuss 3x9 scope on it and it now sits in my safe destined for one of the grand babies.
I replace it with a Weatherby vanguard ( the 20” barre with a glass stock) I’m 7mm mag.
I hunted with it in Fl and Ga for a decade or so and killed several deer and a truckload of pigs.
I replaced it with an Encore rifle in 7mm mag and killed my two best bucks with it.
I considered both cartridges about equal. The guns were the difference.

menhadenman

The 1st 30-06 I bought, I rebarreled it to a .260. Then I bought a rem 700 in 3006 so I had a remington and an 06. As i think every American should own an 06. Then I found a super deal on a savage 116 in 3006 and then traded my rem 700 06 for the same in .223. So I still have 1 rem and a 06. Then inherited an ABolt in 06, so I have 2 in safe now. At this point I have only killed 2 deer with 06, savage 110 and 116. Never killed a deer with the 7mag. Too heavy for woods carry. Although i dream of killing an elk at 500 yds with a 7mag.

Rosewood
With any luck I’ll be shooting a bull elk with my 7 mag this fall. 12 years of preference points on the line. Want to send a 168 gr VLD at 3100 fps out of that 28” tube so bad I’m already dreaming about it.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
A 140gr .284 cal bullet has similar sectional density to a .30 cal 165gr bullet.
Using the same powder for each cartridge with the two bullet weights above, I use 7.5gr more powder in the 7mm Mag and get 300fps more velocity than I get from the 30/06.

Dub

With any luck I’ll be shooting a bull elk with my 7 mag this fall. 12 years of preference points on the line. Want to send a 168 gr VLD at 3100 fps out of that 28” tube so bad I’m already dreaming about it.
(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

rosewood

yeah...yeah...that's the same line of horse hockey y'all ran on me about a 10/22.

I have torn up several deer with a 7mm RM....sent mine down the road.
You sell guns? Is that allowed?

menhadenman

Check out the 10/22 charger takedown (pistol). It’s pretty slick with a suppressor and red dot. Kids love it as much as I do. I believe it’s around $300.

furtaker

The 30-06 is a great round.

But as I heard somebody say one time, it's about as boring as a wood paneled minivan with hubcaps and honor student stickers.

Dub

And here’s your new 30-06 @Jester896 - trust me on this one!
:cool:

Glad to know they still offer wood stocks, too.

tikka_t3x__t3x-forest__pov__1.png

Tight Lines

I like the 30-'06 for the plethora of rounds...the 7MM Mag isn't that much better, and I'd take the .300 Win Mag to Africa, though some require an even more powerful caliber there e.g. the .338 Win Mag...

I've never understood the reputation the 7RM has about recoil. I've never thought they kicked that badly. I can tell very little if any difference between it and the 06. Neither one is a light kicker but they aren't that bad.
I had a savage and it bet me. I shoot a Howa 1500 3006 and no problem