Solar farms on the rise? Fad or future?

Jim Boyd

I have not read all replies but it is clearly gonna be in our future.

Yes they pay more than a deer lease BUT you gotta lock your land up long term.

Soon as Jo and I bought our place, we got letters from 2 diff companies wanting to lease our place.

I lease farms (SC and IL) and all 4 of my landowners have been asked.

This genie is clearly not going back the bottle - to answer the OP’s question.

specialk

What happens to those things when a hail storm goes over it?
that would be according to the size and frequency i imagine nic....i reckon it's the same risk a timber co. would take with fire or beetles....

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

BBond

State is cutting 2600 acres of timber on Oaky Woods to put in a solar farm. Cutting across from the check station all the way to Kovac Rd.

Nice of them to steal more public land from Georgia hunters. Just like the HC Sheriff Department and there exclusive bro only club on Oaky Woods

Glad we are moving out of this state next year.
You are wrong.

That is not state land.

That is private property that borders Oaky Woods

Jim Boyd

Like wind farms, much of what makes landowners say no is what their neighbors will think.

In fact, damaging divisions have been created among neighbors (and families) due to wind and solar farms.

But you know what - the same thing is said when someone sells a farm or timber for commercial or residential development.

Bottom line - to me, at least - is that it is their land and they can do what they like.

Much of it may be a shame but what what one man does with what belongs to him is of no consequence to me.

Now, could I be affected? You bet - what if my neighbor leased out his property along the entire east side of my place??

It would affect the herd on my property and I would not like it…. But it ain’t mine….

Ihunt

Wrong
See post above
It's on private property that borders Oaky Woods
Ok
So 2000 acres right beside OW will have a solar farm!
That better?
It will still be sitting in 2000 acres.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
You are wrong.

That is not state land.

That is private property that borders Oaky Woods
Well, excuse me.
Going off what I told, was trying to confirm it today. But thanks to you, now I don't have to.
Good thing folks like you are around huh? :rolleyes:

BBond

Well, excuse me.
Going off what I told, was trying to confirm it today. But thanks to you, now I don't have to.
Good thing folks like you are around huh? :rolleyes:
Not trying to hurt feelings.

Trying to stop fires from springing up when people falsely accuse the state of doing something.

Been the biologist for Oaky since 2005 so if anyone ever wants to know something about Oaky they can ask me directly.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Not trying to hurt feelings.

Trying to stop fires from springing up when people falsely accuse the state of doing something.

Been the biologist for Oaky since 2005 so if anyone ever wants to know something about Oaky they can ask me directly.
Understand. My bad.

Rumor going around Houston County its on state land. My bad, I deleted my post with the wrong info in it. I'll pass on what you have said to those at work, that told me wrong.

BBond

Understand.

Rumor going around Houston County its on state land. My bad, I deleted my post with the wrong info in it. I'll pass on what you have said to those at work, that told me wrong.
No problem I appreciate you educating others.

This caught us off guard too.

Not happy to have another WMA in the state with solar farms along it.

Sandhills East in Taylor is now almost an island

Madsnooker

Was talking to a very good friend of mine that retired from TECO here in Fl that was in management and he said to power just Tampa city limits would require covering every inch of Hillsborough county in solar panels. If you looked at Google earth and looked at Hillsborough County compared to Tampa city limits you would just shake your head in disbelief. Then once you factor in the fossil fuels required to build a solar farm that size you realize how stupid the whole concept is.

DynamicDennis

Was talking to a very good friend of mine that retired from TECO here in Fl that was in management and he said to power just Tampa city limits would require covering every inch of Hillsborough county in solar panels. If you looked at Google earth and looked at Hillsborough County compared to Tampa city limits you would just shake your head in disbelief. Then once you factor in the fossil fuels required to build a solar farm that size you realize how stupid the whole concept is.
Sickens me every time I see them. The juice does not seem to be worth the squeeze. Just another government racquet to subsidize $$$. If I owned a large parcel of ground, I would have to be dead before a single solar panel went on my ground. Except on trial cameras, of course.