Tree Stands on WMAs

CharrDad

The Ga regs state that a tree stand must be removed by noon of the day after a hunt. Anyone know how much in advance of the season (or sign-in hunt) you can set one up? I was planning on setting some up this year during my July vacation, but now I'm wondering.

Any help is appreciated.

pnome

Not a good idea to set up a tree stand on a WMA and leave it there for any length of time. Maybe the night or day before you plan on hunting.

Be prepared to have it stolen should anyone come across it.

CharrDad

Oh, that's too bad.
Doesn't putting them up the day before you're hunting screw your chances of harvest? Seems like you'd want the deer to have a while to get used to the stand and for any scent you may have left to disappear. Guess that's an argument for using a climber instead of lock-on, huh?

hevishot

Banned
it would be ideal to have your stands already in place but unfortunately, you are talking about public land. Climber would be a better option...IMO

CharrDad

Thanks hevishot. I appreciate the input.

dannyray49

wma stand

charrdad I placed a stand on Allatoona WMA this past season and left it there all season locked with a good cable and lock. I guess I was very lucky it was not taken. killed a 126" 10 pointer from it the day after Thanksgiving.

GA DAWG

I've put em out 2 weeks ahead of time before...It says nothing about it being illegal...Hang a old one just in case somebody wants it!

stands on WMAs

I`ve been told that some of those stands that were left for long periods of time were removed by DNR.You have no right to reserve a spot on public land for the whole season.I won`t bother a stand that I know has been in place between hunts,but I may hunt close to it if I want to.(if nobody is in it)The intent of the law is to allow you to scout and put up a stand the day before a hunt begins.If you leave a stand for a week or so,such as on a 3 week sign-in at Clark Hill,don`t expect that spot to be reserved for you the whole time.If you hunt it every day,it should be yours.If you`re not there,it`s anyone`s place to hunt.Otherwise,you could put up 3 or 4 stands the whole time and have your own little club for the price of a wma stamp.Use good manners and ethics.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
The regs used to prohibit putting out stands far in advance of a hunt, but it no longer states when you can put one out. Pay close attention to the new regs this summer as this may change.

CharrDad

I appreciate all the good advise here. I'm surprised at how many posts I've seen all over Woody's concerning stolen tree stands.

Here's my question though, if you cant trust those sharing the woods with you not to steal your stands how can you hunt that area with any real feeling of safety. I'm not a prude by any means, but if a man will steal your stuff, well, that's not a good indicator of integrity. Am I making too much of this?

hevishot

Banned
nope...you are RIGHT on. Join a club with folks you are comfortable with and leave the public land for the yahoos. (not saying all folks who hunt public land are yahoos)

CharrDad

Yep, guess that's the right move. Now if I can just find something north of ATL that doesn't break the bank.

FX Jenkins

I appreciate all the good advise here. I'm surprised at how many posts I've seen all over Woody's concerning stolen tree stands.

Here's my question though, if you cant trust those sharing the woods with you not to steal your stands how can you hunt that area with any real feeling of safety. I'm not a prude by any means, but if a man will steal your stuff, well, that's not a good indicator of integrity. Am I making too much of this?

this is one of those yes and no situations...if you can afford a private lease or club, great...if not, your already paying for the use of public land, which can be very safe, productive, and excellent hunting....just because someone might be willing to take something out of the woods that doesn't belong to them, yes that would be stealing and there is no excuse for it, doesn't mean they are going to put a bullet in you...and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to leave $150 out in the woods for convenience sake anyway...and I'd venture to say accidents happen on private clubs about as often as they do on NF or WMAs...

7Mag Hunter

Its probably best to use lightweight climbers on WMAs for the above
listed reasons (Stolen), plus you have the option of mobility if or
when folks stack up in one area....
I suggest you scout during the summer months and identify several
hunting areas...Carry your stand in EARLY the AM of your hunt.....

Some guys have started putting little signs in the woods to
identify where they have stands, so you need to be aware of
that possibility......I prefer to carry my stand in and out each time
I enter and leave the woods.....Can't steal my stand if its chained
in the back of my truck, or in my hand....

CharrDad

Its probably best to use lightweight climbers on WMAs for the above
listed reasons (Stolen)...I prefer to carry my stand in and out each time I enter and leave the woods.....Can't steal my stand if its chained
in the back of my truck, or in my hand....

You're right about that 7Mag. But I'm not trying to outsmart the thieves, I'm trying to avoid them.

I understand this is a loaded issue, and I know for a fact that many -many good people hunt public land, but I'm not as concerned with the cost of a tree stand as I am about the company I introduce my children to. If my tree stand is not safe in the woods -my kids dang sure ain't going in there.

Mako22

BANNED
I have hunted public land for years and just about every stand I left out there for any length of time was either stolen or vandalized. I suggest a climber or a folding chair.

Gaddimo75

CharrDad, Here are the best two points of advise I could ever pass on to someone about public land. Go further up the tree and deeper in the woods. I have spoke with several DNR and other properous public land hunters and they will be the first to tell you, as I am guilty of this as well(past tense). If you want to leave a stand on public land make sure you do these two things and the odds will be stacked in your favor. Hunt as deep in the property as you can get and as high up in the trees as you can possibly stand(SAFETY FIRST). Most people do not prepare themselves to go to the heart of the woods and on top of that they usually only hunt an avg of 10-15 feet off the ground. When I say deep int the woods, be sure that you go beyond that of the avg hunter. If you scout enough you can tell where most of the beginners hunt. And those who are willing to go the extra mile to take that buck on the back 40 are usually the ones with the character traits not to follow in the unethical. If I see a stand as far deep in the woods as I like to hike then I assume someone worked hard for that spot. You can never eliminate your chances of loss but you can put the odds in your favor. Hunt around the 20-25 ft mark and don't forget to camo it up with some limbs and greenery. Just remember where you placed it. Get familier with your GPS. You can get a very basic hand held for less than $50. Learn the coordinates. It can also help you in the dark. Any deer you spook going in at 5:30AM will be from the limb you brake not the light. Have fun and be safe and...
Goodluck with that Public Land Bruiser!

Scoutman

Gad75 you said a mouthfull and it's right on! Preach it brother. If you work hard you will be rewarded.