What did this?

WoodUSMC

GON Network Member
I found this yellowjacket nest this morning while out squirrel hunting/scouting. This was recent as there were yellowjackets working on rebuilding when I found it. This is in N Ga. Ground was too dry around to find any tracks. sticks, dirt and leaves were scattered around. Could this have been a bear? If so why didn't it destroy the whole nest. There was still about half there when I found it.

Attachments

• home 028.jpg
    home 028.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 1,089

24tesla

It was Bigfoot.......

:whip::whip::whip:
:stir:

On a serious note, I am not sure what would do that and not finish the job.

pnome

Bruz?

Nah, I'm guessing bear who got tired of getting stung by yellow jackets.

fi8shmasty

Could have just fell off the tree (rotton limb) or another hunter shot the limb off the tree.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Armadillos do that.

threeleggedpigmy

Mod
Staff member
Something eating the larve, the larve have a sweet taste to them.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Skunks probably dig up more jackets nests than bears do.

WoodUSMC

GON Network Member
Skunks probably dig up more jackets nests than bears do.

Thanks! I smelled a faint skunk scent before I found this nest. So you are probably right. Just used to finding logs broke open by the bears. Thought this might be another case. Found 1 bee tree broke open last month.

Chris

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hard to tell the size of the opening, but appears to me to be a bear.

A skunk will make a neat enlargement to the entrance hole. With the size of a bears paw, it obvious that he makes a larger opening.

A bear goes for the brood chamber of the nest. Most always leave part of the nest in place

jeep983

I've seen yotes dig up a yellow jacket nest. Not sure why though!

GAnaturalist

In your area, probably just skunk or bear.

The difference is that skunk will only throw the dirt out a foot or two, where as a bear can throw dirt much further. Its the same with dead tree wood, and stone turning.

rip18

I'm going with skunk - usually they have a smaller, neater hole - but mom still might have a few 3/4 grown "helpers" following her around & that would explaing the bigger, "uglier" than normal hole...