Right to Retrieve Law

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
If I get this Kansas law right a person may enter my pasture and retreive their wounded deer or hound without my permission.

Let me propose this situation and you supporters clarify your view of your liabilities and I can best judge the legislation. You are unaware that the mare in my pasture is worth your annual income. I've paid for semen from a select stallion to be shipped and the services of a specialized vet to artificially inseminate that mare. Now you retreive your game or hound and in the process accidentally spook my mare through the fence and cost me the foal and/or mare.

Are your ready to assume full liability for my property to secure this privilidge of entry?

hawg dawg

If I get this Kansas law right a person may enter my pasture and retreive their wounded deer or hound without my permission.

Let me propose this situation and you supporters clarify your view of your liabilities and I can best judge the legislation. You are unaware that the mare in my pasture is worth your annual income. I've paid for semen from a select stallion to be shipped and the services of a specialized vet to artificially inseminate that mare. Now you retreive your game or hound and in the process accidentally spook my mare through the fence and cost me the foal and/or mare.

Are your ready to assume full liability for my property to secure this privilidge of entry?

100% and fully if it is proven I spooked your mare.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Thanks for the reply. I'm a beagler and I totally understand the issue. My hounds mean alot to me.

I'm uneasy about how many would be as honorable as you and beat on my door with the bad news rather than slip away.

Additionally, now the responsibility is the landowner's to fully prove the uninvited person in his pasture spooked and damaged his stock. Seems the land owner is being burdened for someone elses privilidge IMHO.

Good topic and good to hear others feelings on the matter.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
This is the same argument that us 5th Amendmant advocators use "If you outlaw guns only criminals with have them"

I agree that, "if you outlaw guns only criminals will have them". However, there is absolutely no relationship or similarity whatever between that statement and the argument that allowing a trespass onto private property for anyone who is "looking for a dog" endangers the property owner and empowers the would be criminal.

Regardless of what the law says thieves are going to steal. You say this law will make it easier? Just like the gun control folks say it's "too easy" for a criminal to get a gun. Sounding familiar?

Again, I agree that thieves are going to steal and that your next to the last sentence sounds familiar. However, there is absolutely no relationship or similarity whatever between that statement and the argument that allowing a trespass onto private property for anyone who is "looking for a dog" endangers the property owner and empowers the would be criminal.

No need to worry, if us hunters of ALL kinds of game don't band together soon we won't be hunting ANYTHING.

Now there is an argument that is very familiar. It is the old Liberal Democrat argument, "Do it my way or we are all is lost". The only thing missing is, "I need to trespass, it is for the children". :rofl:

GA DAWG

Ive saw on this message board. In the speed goat hunting forum. Aint a thing can be done to anybody on your property if its not posted. What yall think about that?

georgia_home

just a few questions for ya... (points, with a little dry humor and a bit if sarcasm follow)

1) Paying mortgage, and taxes, and someone buys the middle out. Sounds like you owned the land? Did you? Why did you sell it?

2) how many acres is the parcel you run on? large or small, if you knowingly release your dogs close to the edge, are you part of the disconnect? sort of setting the dogs up for crossing over. obviously dogs cannot read property lines, but the owner can. is this the OP's i have permission to hunt 3 acres... but the dogs..... and i had to....

3) why didn't you buy the land? i am sure a GA landowner would sell the land to another GA person much cheaper then they would to someone from outta state rich guy, or even an Atlanta / savannah / augusta rich guy, just to keep semi local ownership. wouldn't they? :)

4) what is wrong with getting permission before something happens? if the owner has his own club on the land, his own, for him/her family, friends, and doesn't want you, me or any stranger there, is there anything wrong with that? basically your saying "i don't care"... if someone decided you have a very nice huge hd tv in your living room, and decided that you were on vacation... you wouldn't be around to complain, and threw my dog in your house. and started watching tv... somehow, i don't think you'd take too kindly to this.

i ain't trying to bust you ... too hard... but it just seems that so many people these days want to justify wrong or illegal actions as... well, someone won't compromise (your word from one of the earlier posts) so, i am gonna just do it, illegally. He doesn’t want your help with the land. He wants you to stay off. Like a child that doesn’t get his way, you don’t care. And it sounds like you think that makes trespassing alright.

this is also the abuse logic i posted about earlier... using the atv example... i was only riding the atv on public land to get my deer... i had not shot him yet, but i was gonna... and i was only riding around, from dawn to dusk, until i saw one... and had the gun loaded and ready to shoot quickly from the seat! and really, i didn't mean to get close to you, but... so now, ?almost? all state land is NO ATV.

pay the mortgage, the taxes, and work your tail off then have someone out of state buy land in the middle of it :confused:

justus4 im not saying tresspassing is fine, yes i do it to get my dogs, i think someone should be able to go get their dog though, trust me i hate people who come and leave trash, tear the land up on atvs, ride their horses wherever they want, leave campfires, but i think thats a whole different matter thats why i would like a right to retrieve law like the bill proposed in Kansas

im not worried about my feelings nic my dogs are worth more to me than a tresspassing ticket or hurt feelings i've been cussed out, shot at, and the law called on me enough times that i think ill be okay, if you dont have your own pack of dogs you just wouldnt understand, that being said, im usually not retrieving my dogs at night and most people just think the beagles are so pretty, and think the little ones are just so cute :rolleyes:

now im not saying i advocate tresspassing but you do what you have to do to bring your dogs home, one place i hunt surrounds a peice of property on three sides that is owned by some rich out of state land owner who i have told it is unavoidable, but he wont compromise with me at all even after i have offered to help him keep up with the land, watch it, or do some kind of lease, so in some cases its just unavoidable....now im not trying to be smart with you nic or start a big argument on here but i would really appreciate some right to retrieve laws

p.s. i was happy to hear that he got a nice little ticket :whip: for hunting over bait thanks to the anynomous tip line though ;)

jabb06

I think the situation would be worse if we let the government get into the right to retrieve law writing business.we dont need the government wasting millions of dollars to study this problem...millions more to implement it & God knows how many millions more investigating shootings because a landowner did not know someone was on his land & fired in the trespassers direction or the landowner felt he was being robbed because he didnt know someone was after their dogs. Simple solution here that can save us all a bunch of money & headaches...just ask for permission before entering.If its an emergency & you have no time to ask...immediatley afterwards get in touch with the landowner & let them know what happened.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I don't know squat about hunting with dogs except that you can't control where they chase their quarry and trespassing is inevitable unless you hunt a huge block of woods. Folks that say they are going to fetch their hounds with or with out permission make me think the sport is obsolete in a day when tracts have been whittled down into smaller woodlots. Maybe this type of hunting should be reserved for large WMA properties or private plantations in excess of a certain acreage. I have nothing against dog hunting but some people can't seem to understand why a land owner don't want them, their lights, their guns, or their dogs on their property - and if they do - oh well. Especially at night. My neighbors don't dog hunt so I have no ax to grind - just putting myself in the position of some other Woody folk.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Ive saw on this message board. In the speed goat hunting forum. Aint a thing can be done to anybody on your property if its not posted. What yall think about that?

Wrong again there, DAWG. If you are going to a dog on a tree or bayed, it would be hard to argue that you were not engaged in the act of hunting as that is pretty much what hunting with a dog is all about.

First, if you do this on private un-posted property without permission, you have violated Georgia's hunting without permission law.

Second, you have simultaneously violated the criminal trespass law since you have entered un-posted private property for the purpose of committing an illegal act.

Third, if the property owner is generous to you, and just decides to warn you off,m you can be required to leave immediately and never return, "do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not poke around further for said dog". You can be arrested if you fail to leave immediately.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten

Think I'm going to put up more posted signs!:smash:

ejs1980

I'm against a right to retrieve law because people would abuse it. In the scenario above would more harm be caused by me retrieving my dog or by letting him tree or harass your mare until he decides he's ready to come home. If my dog is proven to be the cause of the damage to your property I'm already responsible regardless of whether I enter the property or not.

If your pasture fence went to the property line, a tree fell across the fence during a storm one night would you go to get it? Yes I'm sure you would call first. After not getting an answer what would you do? What if you could see it a hundred yards across the line in a food plot eating oats? You would go get it.

ejs1980

Wrong again there, DAWG. If you are going to a dog on a tree or bayed, it would be hard to argue that you were not engaged in the act of hunting as that is pretty much what hunting with a dog is all about.

First, if you do this on private un-posted property without permission, you have violated Georgia's hunting without permission law.

Second, you have simultaneously violated the criminal trespass law since you have entered un-posted private property for the purpose of committing an illegal act.

Third, if the property owner is generous to you, and just decides to warn you off,m you can be required to leave immediately and never return, "do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not poke around further for said dog". You can be arrested if you fail to leave immediately.

So if your rat terrier got out and treed the neighbors cat and you walked over and got it you could be charged the same charges plus animal cruelty charges for hunting cats.

jabb06

my coon dog has treed the neighbors cat a couple times.I run over to get him & apoligize for the trouble.thankfully they like to hear a bluetick howling & dont see it as a problem.it would be great if there was more people like that nowadays:clap:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
So if your rat terrier got out and treed the neighbors cat and you walked over and got it you could be charged the same charges plus animal cruelty charges for hunting cats.

Unquestionably, and I would probably enter a guilty plea out of embarrassment. :rofl:

just a few questions for ya... (points, with a little dry humor and a bit if sarcasm follow)

1) Paying mortgage, and taxes, and someone buys the middle out. Sounds like you owned the land? Did you? Why did you sell it?

2) how many acres is the parcel you run on? large or small, if you knowingly release your dogs close to the edge, are you part of the disconnect? sort of setting the dogs up for crossing over. obviously dogs cannot read property lines, but the owner can. is this the OP's i have permission to hunt 3 acres... but the dogs..... and i had to....

3) why didn't you buy the land? i am sure a GA landowner would sell the land to another GA person much cheaper then they would to someone from outta state rich guy, or even an Atlanta / savannah / augusta rich guy, just to keep semi local ownership. wouldn't they? :)

4) what is wrong with getting permission before something happens? if the owner has his own club on the land, his own, for him/her family, friends, and doesn't want you, me or any stranger there, is there anything wrong with that? basically your saying "i don't care"... if someone decided you have a very nice huge hd tv in your living room, and decided that you were on vacation... you wouldn't be around to complain, and threw my dog in your house. and started watching tv... somehow, i don't think you'd take too kindly to this.

i ain't trying to bust you ... too hard... but it just seems that so many people these days want to justify wrong or illegal actions as... well, someone won't compromise (your word from one of the earlier posts) so, i am gonna just do it, illegally. He doesn’t want your help with the land. He wants you to stay off. Like a child that doesn’t get his way, you don’t care. And it sounds like you think that makes trespassing alright.

this is also the abuse logic i posted about earlier... using the atv example... i was only riding the atv on public land to get my deer... i had not shot him yet, but i was gonna... and i was only riding around, from dawn to dusk, until i saw one... and had the gun loaded and ready to shoot quickly from the seat! and really, i didn't mean to get close to you, but... so now, ?almost? all state land is NO ATV.
Oh god georgia now your making me work, i done typed enough for the day, but i guess i can do a little more :D

1) No the land surronding it, it was owned by a nice old lady who passed away and her children sold it.

2) about 300 acres on one side, 60 on the back, and about 400+ on the other side around the 34 1/2 acres purchased

3) We considered buying but it sold for an absurd price when the market was booming, and real estate agents were living the good life

4) We had never had a problem until we found out the land was sold, and called the new land owner for permission to hunt, when he said no we told him it would be unavoidable the dogs would end up there sooner or later could we atleast retrieve them and the answer was no. You should meet my neighbors they only use the hot tub when were out of town or their really hurting ( were sure to put some extra chlorine in it when we get home :bounce:)

I am not trying to justify tresspassing but im gonna do it when calling the dogs isnt working. I think there is a difference in tresspassing for recreation, or illegal purposes, and retrieving a dog

I would like a right to retrieve law, but I realize a retrieval law would be abused thats why i agreed with justus4. I see no good solution to the problem, i think criminals, crooks, and sue happy people have really screwed it up for the rest of us. It's to bad we don't live in a world full of people who would give you the shirt off their back, or better yet walk with you to go retrieve your dogs then spend the rest of the day hunting with you like the majority of the people on this forum. :cool:

Until that happens when my dogs cross a property line and wont come back im not going home without them. Whether the land owner says no or not, no matter how "childish" that is. They mean to much to me and im not talking about how much money they're worth. If that makes me a bad person, or a criminal so be it. There is only one person whos judment of me matters in my book, and i believe i have more important things to ask his forgiveness for.

jabb06

im guilty your honor..i was after his cat to sell it to mr.chu-we down at the china buffet:D lord i appoligize for that & be with the starving pygmies in new guinea..amen

your wearin me out georgia, one question at a time next time im not sure I cant handle that much typing again your gonna give me an an aneurysm :D

Jabb that is one pretty blue tick in your avatar

jabb06

thanks,thats my big buddy smokey bear.i hope to get a nice female to breed him to soon

georgia_home

O27, ive hunted a good part of my life, but not so much with dogs, except for birds, mostly upland, some waterfowl. In those situations, the dogs are more directly controlled.

It sounds like you may be hunting a parcel too small for the type of hunting your doing. I've not hunted hogs or coons before, but have been interested in trying it. Where we are though, and our parcel size, well, it's just too small. I can walk across the the place in about... 10 or 15 minutes, walking slow. Its about 100a.

Now a dog, on a dead run, chasing a hog or coon. Man I think they'd be across in under a minute or two. I think the neighbors would really hate me!

The worst part is, ima dog lover!!! I'd hate to see a dog get tore up, I guess I'm also into the property owners rights too.

I've spoken multiple times with 2 of the neighbors, and have their numbers, names and good relations, do retrieving would be fine... The 3rd neighbor, well I have his name and number, but I just haven't talked to him yet, and I really need to, just in case.

I guess I am lucky where I hunt. :)