Right to Retrieve Law

Old Blue21

I try to always ask a man to get my dog but at 3 in the morning im afraid they will shoot me for waking them up.... or before u even get the oppurtunity to ask a man could pull a gun on ya cause ur dog got on his property.... I think no man should hunt land he cant, I think he should try his best to contact someone before he gets his dog but im gonna get my dog no matter what even if it takes getting shot.... But i will always try to ask first... But its like one man said You Cant Fix Stupid... Some ppl dont understand that a dog cant read posted signs....

Dr. Strangelove

Nope, dogs can't posted signs, but you, the dog owner can. Keep them under your control, or don't hunt them.

15yrs ago or so, I hiked in ten miles for a three day trip in the Pisgah NF with 2 friends to trout fish. We came across a lost coon hound, which we fed from our own rations and made sure it was happy and followed us out.

When we got back to civilization, we called the owner's number on the dog's tag. We waited for him, he showed up, loaded up the dog and couldn't even say a simple "Thank you" before he roared off in a cloud of dust.

Be a little better to your dogs than that.

1222DANO

Be a little better to your dogs than that. AND WHAT MAKES IT A COON HOUND IT COULD IT HAVE BEEN A YARD DOG.

LETS NOT EVEN START ABOUT WE DON'T TAKE CARE OF OUR DOGS. OUR DOGS AREN'T JUST PETS THEY ARE WORKING DOGS. I SPEND MORE TIME IN A WEEK HUNTING AND EXERCISING WITH MY DOGS THAN MOST OVERWEIGHT HOUSE DOG GETS IN A MONTH. COME BY MY HOUSE AND SEE HOW WELL WE TAKE CARE OF OUR DOGS AND I'M NOT JUST THE ONLY ONE START ASKING HOW THESE GUYS SPEND ON KENNEL MATERIAL OR HAVE SPENT.

IF YOU THINK I WANT BANG ON YOUR DOOR AT 3 A.M. TO GET MY DOG CAUSE IF I HAVE TO I WILL I'LL JUST LEAVE AND CALL THE COPS SO THATS JUST GOING TO KEEP YOU UP LONGER.BUT I'M NOT GONNA TURN LOOSE THERE AGAIN . BUT JUST BECAUSE YOU PEOPLE OWN TWO ACRES DON'T START THINKING YOU OWN THE WHOLE SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN.MY BROTHER HAD A LADY THAT WOULD CALL THE COPS EVERY TIME HE TURNED OUT. SHE LIVED AT THE END OF A SUBDIVISION AND COULD SEE THE PLACE WHERE HE HUNTED.
IF THIS IS THE WAY MOST OF THE GUYS ARE OUT HERE THEN I'D HATE TO SEE WHAT KIND OF TREE HUGGIN,HSUS WIFES THEY ARE MARRIED TO. DON'T ANY OF YOU PEOPLE THATS NEVER DONE MUCH HUNTING BESIDES DEER HUNTING SEE THE NEED TO HUNT THESE HOUNDS. OUR FOUNDING FATHERS BROUGHT THESE DOGS OVER AND MADE THESE BREEDS AS WORKING BREEDS FOR US TO HUNT AND I'D BET SOME OF YA'LL ARE PROBALY AGAINST COONHUNTERS AND WANT IT TO BE STOPPED.
YOU HIKERS PROBALY FOUND THE MANS DOG AND FEED IT SO IT COULDN'T LEAVE. IF YOU'D LEFT IT ALONE IT WOULD'VE COME BACK TO THE HUNTER MOST OF US IF WE'VE LOST A HOUND LOOK FOR IT WHERE WE TURNED OUT AND THE ROADS AROUND IT. I WOULD'VE BEEN MAD TO THAT COME TO FIND OUT SOMEONE THAT HIKED TEN MILES IN THERE HAD BEEN FEEDING MY DOGS IT PROBALLY COME UP AT NITE RIGHT. A HOUND CAN TRAVEL ALOT MORE COUNTRY THAN A HUMAN CAN. ALSO IN TODAYS WORLD YOU NOT EVER TO FAR AWAY FROM SOMEONES YOU MIGHT HAVE HIKED TEN MILES THAT DAY BUT THE COONHUNTER MIGHT HAVE KNOWN SOMEWHERE ELSE TO TURN OUT.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
im gonna get my dog no matter what even if it takes getting shot.... But i will always try to ask first... But its like one man said You Cant Fix Stupid... Some ppl dont understand that a dog cant read posted signs....

The dog can't read, but I sincerely hope that you can. The arrogance that allows you to say, I am going to go onto posted property and do what I want whether no matter what the owner says might just get you shot one day.

You should know that, in Georgia, if the owner finds you on his posted property without permission, he may place you under arrest. If you decide to compound your crime by the use force against the landowner, he can legally use whatever level of force is necessary to protect himself.

Like you said., "You can't fix stupid.

hawg dawg

The dog can't read, but I sincerely hope that you can. The arrogance that allows you to say, I am going to go onto posted property and do what I want whether no matter what the owner says might just get you shot one day.

You should know that, in Georgia, if the owner finds you on his posted property without permission, he may place you under arrest. If you decide to compound your crime by the use force against the landowner, he can legally use whatever level of force is necessary to protect himself.

Like you said., "You can't fix stupid.

Not at all true.

Title 16, Section 16-7-21

(2) Enters upon the land or premises of another person or into any part of any vehicle, railroad car, aircraft, or watercraft of another person after receiving, prior to such entry, notice from the owner, rightful occupant, or, upon proper identification, an authorized representative of the owner or rightful occupant that such entry is forbidden;or

(3) Remains upon the land or premises of another person or within the vehicle, railroad car, aircraft, or watercraft of another person after receiving notice from the owner, rightful occupant, or,upon proper identification, an authorized representative of the owner or rightful occupant to depart.

That is what the law says. Read it carefully.

It is called a "Trespass Notice" the first time a person gets caught unless previously told not to come on the land they can not be charged with Trespassing. If caught on the land again after being told not to return then and only then can they be charged with Trespassing.

GA DAWG

I really hate to see the hunters always posting about dogs cant read posted signs..No crap!! That one statement causes lots of trouble..

I'm right with you, Nic. (as usual) I'll work with anybody, and would probably even get out and help the owner find his dogs. That being said, my property is my property and I'll be danged if I'll ever agree with the State having the right or authority to give anyone else permission to trespass on my property.

Too late for that.......The DNR already has the right to trespass on your property.:flag:

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Too late for that.......The DNR already has the right to trespass on your property.:flag:

That's not my point. Yes, the DNR can enter my property without permission. I don't consider that trespassing. I consider that doing their job. I don't have any illegal or questionable activities occurring on my property, so I have no concerns at all with that. In fact, I know the GW personally and he knows he's welcome any time.

What he cannot do is give anyone else permission to go on my property or make me allow anyone else access to my property.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Not at all true.

Title 16, Section 16-7-21

(2) Enters upon the land or premises of another person or into any part of any vehicle, railroad car, aircraft, or watercraft of another person after receiving, prior to such entry, notice from the owner, rightful occupant, or, upon proper identification, an authorized representative of the owner or rightful occupant that such entry is forbidden;or

(3) Remains upon the land or premises of another person or within the vehicle, railroad car, aircraft, or watercraft of another person after receiving notice from the owner, rightful occupant, or,upon proper identification, an authorized representative of the owner or rightful occupant to depart.

That is what the law says. Read it carefully.

It is called a "Trespass Notice" the first time a person gets caught unless previously told not to come on the land they can not be charged with Trespassing. If caught on the land again after being told not to return then and only then can they be charged with Trespassing.

Dear hawg dawg, understand that I am not a dog hunter, but I am not against dog hunting. My neighbor hunts dogs and has my permission to dog hunt my property. I am, in fact, a dog aficionado and own six of the critters. I am, also, a believer in property rights and will defend them. I also have some knowledge of the applicable law. I have read it and many others both carefully and often.

To start, you need to brush up on the legal term "Notice", trespass or otherwise. It has a particular meaning in the law. You should also look carefully at some of the hunting laws in Georgia.

At law, there are several ways that notice can be given to a potential trespasser. A face to face meeting is not required. If the land is posted (and that is what this discussion has been about) the posting is the notice from the landowner. There is no need that a second notice be provided to the criminal once the crime has been committed. The crime is complete when the trespasser steps onto the land having received notice from the posting.

Additionally, (and you are really not going to like this one) if your dog is hunting on the land of another and you follow your dog, then you are hunting on the land of another as your dog is an instrument of your hunting. If you do this, even on land that is not posted, you have committed the crime of hunting on the land of another without permission Title 27, Section 3-1. It does not matter that you do not bring a gun. Many dog hunters do not plan to take all the animals their dogs find. They are still hunting. Title 27, Section 3-1 makes it illegal to hunt or to pursue game on the land of another without permission. And yes, yes, I know already, the dog can not see the property line, but you are a human and, as a hunter, you are required to know the boundaries of the lands you have permission to hunt and those that you do not. You are also responsible for your dog. (It could be argued that you are hunting on the land of another if your dog is hunting there with your knowledge even if you are not actually on the other property.)

Once you follow your dog across the line onto property you have no permission to be on, you have also committed the crime of criminal trespass even with no notice at all from the landowner. This is so because you have entered the lands of another for an unlawful purpose in contravention of Title 16 Section 7-21, Paragraph (b), Sub-paragraph(1). The illegal purpose being to hunt on the land of another without permission in contravention of Title 27, Section 3-1.

You see, your post above only Cites Title 27, section 7-2, Paragraph(b), Sub-paragraphs (2)and (3). There is more depth and complexity to the law than that.

I recommend getting to know the owners of the properties around the one you have permission to hunt. Many misunderstandings can be avoided that way.

Happy reading. Happy hunting. And, good luck. :)

That's not my point. Yes, the DNR can enter my property without permission. I don't consider that trespassing. I consider that doing their job. I don't have any illegal or questionable activities occurring on my property, so I have no concerns at all with that. In fact, I know the GW personally and he knows he's welcome any time.

What he cannot do is give anyone else permission to go on my property or make me allow anyone else access to my property.

Do you also allow the deputies to look around in your house and barn at random whether you are at home or not?:huh:

I would venture to say that you have no illegal or questionable activities occurring in there either.::ke:

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Do you also allow the deputies to look around in your house and barn at random whether you are at home or not?:huh:

I would venture to say that you have no illegal or questionable activities occurring in there either.::ke:

If they want to waste their time with that, it's OK by me. They would have to be some bored individuals........

But....there's a difference in the laws allowing them access to a house or building and raw property. They really need a warrant to come in your house or a closed/locked building (under most circumstances) unless you grant them permisssion.

If BJ wants to go look around my place down there, I don't really give a rat's behind....it's his time he's wasting.

GA DAWG

Lets all go over and give those turkey huntin trespassers heck:D

Al Medcalf

Nope, dogs can't posted signs, but you, the dog owner can. Keep them under your control, or don't hunt them.

15yrs ago or so, I hiked in ten miles for a three day trip in the Pisgah NF with 2 friends to trout fish. We came across a lost coon hound, which we fed from our own rations and made sure it was happy and followed us out.

When we got back to civilization, we called the owner's number on the dog's tag. We waited for him, he showed up, loaded up the dog and couldn't even say a simple "Thank you" before he roared off in a cloud of dust.

Be a little better to your dogs than that.

So, you should judge all dog hunters by the actions of one ungrateful one with no manners? If that's the case, I would guess deer hunting should be outlawed.....Deer hunters cause more problems than any other group of hunters...Don't believe me?...Read "Hall of Shame" in a few issues of GON.

holler tree

Amen!

Don't come knocking and wake me up in the middle of the night. It will not be a pretty conversation. Don't come on my land to retrieve your dog without permission either.

Now, if it is a respectable time of day and you need to retrieve a dog or a kill, depending on the circumstances, I will probably let you do so. However, if you hunt near my line or have been having trouble keeping your dogs off of my land, you will not find me to be so accomdating.

why would anyone refuse another man the right to go get his dogs ? the only reason that comes to my mind I wont even say on here. coon hounds get to be pretty pricey when they are good. it would be like dropping your wallet with a minimum of 2,000.00 in it and someone telling you you cant go get it. I dont leave without my hounds plain and simple. I'm not coming back the next day to find them laying on the rd dead hit by a car, or harmed in any other way. they mean too much to me for that. If there is a number on the posted sign I will call if not I'm going straight in and straight out and I always come back with my dogs. now with all of that being said I very seldom ever end up off the places I hunt. Its generally when you go with someone to a new place or competition hunting when your more out to end up in that situation especially if they havent coon hunted much. Ive been coon hunting my whole life and have had to trespass a few times to get my dogs .i dont like to do it but when you loose a few to cars that meant alot to you, you become very leary of leaving them out there. people should be a little more understanding sometimes instead of going all stupid on someone who isnt causing any harm.
I know the whole one bad apple spew but how many people can honestly say that they have coon hunters constantly trespassing on thier place ? I mean its not like someone isnt going to know your there especially my dogs cause I like'em really LOUD !!!

MudDucker

Staff member
why would anyone refuse another man the right to go get his dogs ? the only reason that comes to my mind I wont even say on here. coon hounds get to be pretty pricey when they are good. it would be like dropping your wallet with a minimum of 2,000.00 in it and someone telling you you cant go get it. I dont leave without my hounds plain and simple. I'm not coming back the next day to find them laying on the rd dead hit by a car, or harmed in any other way. they mean too much to me for that. If there is a number on the posted sign I will call if not I'm going straight in and straight out and I always come back with my dogs. now with all of that being said I very seldom ever end up off the places I hunt. Its generally when you go with someone to a new place or competition hunting when your more out to end up in that situation especially if they havent coon hunted much. Ive been coon hunting my whole life and have had to trespass a few times to get my dogs .i dont like to do it but when you loose a few to cars that meant alot to you, you become very leary of leaving them out there. people should be a little more understanding sometimes instead of going all stupid on someone who isnt causing any harm.
I know the whole one bad apple spew but how many people can honestly say that they have coon hunters constantly trespassing on thier place ? I mean its not like someone isnt going to know your there especially my dogs cause I like'em really LOUD !!!

I don't have to give a reason, I own my land, you do not. If I were to think about a reason, the reason would probably be that the same idiot seems to keep having a problem keeping his dogs off of my land. You on the other hand have a legal obligation not to enter my land.

When I purchased my tract, within a year, I caught 3 bunches hunting coons with dogs, one trapping and another fishing because he used to fish there as a farm hand 30 years prior. All were on my land without permission. One acted aggressively and told me his granddad used to hunt my land. I explained to him that I did not give a hoot about what his old granddaddy did before I owned the land, but it was now off limits and if I caught him again, he was going to jail. The prior owner told me NO ONE was ever given permission to hunt or fish.

I don't want your dog. I don't want your loud dog. I don't want you on my land without permission. Pretty simple and pretty basic legal right of a land owner.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

you need a legal lesson on curtilage and open fields. AGAIN.

Not that you will listen.

T

GA DAWG

T, Can a game warden go get my hound if the landowner want let me???

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
He can if he wishes to, but he has no right to take you with him.