Do we take it for granted?

FF-Emt Diver

Answer: Yes we do, all too often, I was thinking that this morning while in stand.

Video is very very very well done!!!!!!!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yes we do. Especially if we have been very active our entire life.

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Yep.

Arrow Flinger

I use too but spend one day with these folks and you will have a new outlook on life. It is a life changing experiance to see the desire and effort it takes for disabled folks to participate. We average folks coming from 5 different states to most of our events and some of the time, it is just a 1 day event. We grumble about having to drive an hour to hunt.

boneboy96

You never know how good you have it until you don't have it. I feel blessed every day!

Inthegarge

Arrow, the longer I'm around the more I realize that my disability is minor compared to many others....I just need to be thankful for what I can do and not dwell on what I can't...

j_seph

Bad part of it is, most will not understand this until they attend one of these events and sees the smiles and has a moment to reflect on what is going on. With what I've went through with my dad and especially my wife it really draws a whole other aspect to living. Even my wife would tell you 8 months ago when she couldn't use her right side at all that it could be worse. After being through the worse it really does open your eyes that it could be worse. Folks take way too much in this temporary life for granted from being able to hold a nail in one hand and swing a hammer in the other to being able to speak just to day I love you.

Arrow Flinger

Bad part of it is, most will not understand this until they attend one of these events and sees the smiles and has a moment to reflect on what is going on. With what I've went through with my dad and especially my wife it really draws a whole other aspect to living. Even my wife would tell you 8 months ago when she couldn't use her right side at all that it could be worse. After being through the worse it really does open your eyes that it could be worse. Folks take way too much in this temporary life for granted from being able to hold a nail in one hand and swing a hammer in the other to being able to speak just to day I love you.

Well said my Friend!

Mistrfish

You never know how good you have it until you don't have it. I feel blessed every day!

Amen, I used to get mad when I couldnt do somethng as well as I use to. Then I took a long look at some of the other people that suffer from M.S or other disability and cant walk. Im still able to do most, just a little slower.

mtr3333

Banned
Yes, many take it for granted. There are people looking for this opportunity and haven't found it yet too.

Cabin creek man

Do we take it for granted? I have all my life. I have always been a bit of a heavy feller but way active running around in the mountains i call home hunting and fishing hard as i can. Ive always worked hard as well and loved it too logging farming and 27 years of heating a/c ,elect and plumbing. Then it happened woke up one morning and my right leg was on fire could hardly walk it was middle of summer and i had to spend 2 weeks getting over an inflamed scaitic nerve. Move on to october everything is better then i wake up one morning and my left leg was even worse and now my hips are in the mix as well. A month long ordeal of emergency room visits MRI's and meetings with doctors and i find out i have 5 bulging or damaged discs in my lower back not what i want to hear. A lost deer season rolls on into a lost turkey seasono im pushing it in therapy hard as i can but not getting any results and at this time havnt worked in almost 6 months am becomming very confused as to what path my life is taking. Finally i scedule with my dr to operate and a few weeks before surgery with the help of my 14 yr old son i take a nice 5 point buck with my muzzle loader little did i know that was to be my last deer two seasons ago. My surgery went ok not great but ok and inside of 4 months i was doing two miles at a time on the tredmill. Then it happened the most painfull 6 weeks yet both legs my hips and lower back are all on fire or shivering or no feeling at all. I spend

Cabin creek man

The next year untill now working mussles cheageing medications trying everything i can think of to get back on my feet. In the mean time im still confused i can get around some but 50 yards and im down for 20 minutes or so before i can go again. Is this handicaped? Disabeled? Whats going on this isnt me. My next step is to trp the electronic nerve stimulator just to get relief maybe get some more up time. Ive seen several doctors and all say the original dr did as well as could be expected but none will operate untill i am completely unable to walk. Its funny that even now i will figgure out how to help someone thats handicapped because i still consider myself as just at a setback. All this and i am saying to everyone here get out there and do it . Hunt fish run swim play with your kids never take it for granted. Lifes to short try to make all time quality time. Thanks for reading the rambelings of a frustrated but still happy middleaged man,

Marty adams

Arrow Flinger

Sorry to hear that Marty. I have had a taste of it too with 3 back surgery's. Good luck too you and don't give up on the outdoors. It is the best medicane you can have. Send me your email to owlhunt@att.net and let me get you on my contact list. We will do what ever it takes to get you outdoors where you belong.

thurmongene

I am a very blessed man. Sure I get down sometimes when I can't do all I used to. Still I have a wife that truly loves me with no boundries. Two Sons that love and want to help when they are near. Some times they get in the way trying to help. I still want to do things by myself. Just slower. This will be my first time to be involved with an event by O.W.L. Will I be ashamed to be there ? Knowing there are a lot of more deserving people than me.
I don't feel entitled to anything. I am truly thankful for people like these volenteers and board members of O.W.L. If you see me in tears, it isn't with pain , pitty, or junk like that. It will be for the bravery of these people just wanting to do what others do without even thinking about it. is it o k for me to say this ? I'm a rookie here.

cherokee charlie

Believe me I tried to stay out of this but after reading all of the posts I find myself right in the middle of what everyone is saying.

I HAVE HAD A SERIES OF 5 LOWER BACK OPERATIONS, TWO NECK, BOTH SHOULDERS, RIGHT KNEE, THYROID, GALL BLADDER AND ELBOW SURGERY BUT WHAT REALLY MADE A CRIPPLE OUT OF ME WAS THE OPERATION I HAD ON THE THORAXIC AREA OF MY SPINE. I WAS ALREADY LIVING IN SEVERE PAIN AND THIS OPERATION WAS NECESSARY BECAUSE OF TWO RUPTURED DISCS. IT WAS NOT A SUCCESSFUL OPERATION. (HISTORY)

UNTIL I WENT ON MY FIRST HUNT WITH O.W.L. I HAD A BITTER OUTLOOK ON LIFE BECAUSE I HAD ALWAYS BEEN A VERY ACTIVE PERSON. I WAS A COMPETITIVE SHOOTER, QUAIL HUNTER AND AN OUTDOORS MAN IN GENERAL. I WAS ACCUSTOMED TO DOING WHATEVER I WANTED TO DO WHENEVER I WANTED TO DO IT AND DIDN'T NEED ANY HELP TO DO IT.

THEN I FIND MYSELF DEPENDANT ON USING A WALKING STICK WHICH I HAD USED FOR YEARS HAD PROGRESSED TO TWO WALKING STICKS AND SHORTLY AFTER THAT I HAD TO USE A WALKER JUST TO GO FROM POINT A TO POINT B. I REALIZED THAT I COULD NOT WALK WITHOUT AN AID OF SOMEKIND. SO THE REALIZATION WAS, AND IT HIT ME HARD, THAT I WAS HANDICAPPED. WHAT? ME? HANDICAPPED? YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING.

I RAN INTO TODD IN THE OUTDOOR DEPOT AND HE INVITED ME TO COME TO HIS BANQUET AND SO I DID. I SIGNED UP FOR THE NEXT HUNT, WENT, DID NOT EVEN SEE A DEER BUT-----

IT WAS A LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE FOR ME. I REALIZED THAT MY HANDICAP WAS VERY MINUTE COMPARED TO SOME OF THE PEOPLE WHO SHOWED UP TO HUNT THAT WEEK-END. I SAW IN THERE EYES WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN MINE-----HAPPINESS, EXCITEMENT, JOY, FRIENDSHIP AND A BELIEF IN GOD.

I AM SO THANKFUL FOR O.W.L. AND THE PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR RUNNING IT. GOD BLESS.

THE QUESTION "DO WE TAKE THIS FOR GRANTED" IF IT MEANS GOOD HEALTH THEN THE ANSWER IS "YES". DO WE TAKE "BEING HANDICAPPED FOR GRANTED?" ASK SOMEONE IN A WHEELCHAIR.

(I typed this in all caps because I just had an elbow operation and it's hard to type with one hand and get punctuation correct.)