Poaching on Jekyll

erock

On 01/08/2013 at about 11:00pm, the State Patrol received a call about shots fired at the soccer complex on Jekyll Island and sent a Trooper to investigate. The trooper saw a vehicle in the area driving erratically. When he stopped the truck he immediately noticed several dead deer in the back of the truck. He then called RFC John Evans and Sgt. Chris Hodge to the scene to investigate the incident. After the investigation the driver and passenger were charged with hunting deer at night, hunting from a vehicle, and hunting from a public road. The driver was also charged by the trooper for driving on a suspended license and driving under the influence. The passenger was a convicted felon and was charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Both suspects were taken and booked into the Glynn County detention center. They had killed a total of 5 deer. The deer were turned over to a local processor who was willing to come out and clean them and then turn the meat over to a local food bank.

282961_10151210997398388_1834628757_n.jpg

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
That will contribute to a deer shortage. Glad they caught them.

albridges

Great Job by the LE Guys. These guys are what gives all of us law abidin' gun totin' hunters a bad name.

From what I have seen on that Island you could walk up to most of the deer and hit them on the head with hammer much less have to shine them at night.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I hope that the Law Enforcement Agencies will be allowed to confiscate the vehicle used along with the weapons and everything else that was inside this truck as well. With the pending charges, neither of these two should be walking the streets during the next 10 years minimum if I had my wishes. They should also be banned from hunting for life and then fined very heavily and made to pay every penny before being released back to the public domain.

I am very familiar with these soccer fields as my wife and I attended several games that our Daughter played in during various tournaments at that venue. I remember that the "Golden Isle Tournament" was one of the largest and best ones too. I remember that there were lots of wildlife roaming the island and it made for some beautiful photos but I would not think that someone would be poaching in such an active place.

Glad they were caught.

EAGLE EYE 444 said:
I hope that the Law Enforcement Agencies will be allowed to confiscate the vehicle used along with the weapons and everything else that was inside this truck as well. With the pending charges, neither of these two should be walking the streets during the next 10 years minimum if I had my wishes. They should also be banned from hunting for life and then fined very heavily and made to pay every penny before being released back to the public domain.

I am very familiar with these soccer fields as my wife and I attended several games that our Daughter played in during various tournaments at that venue. I remember that the "Golden Isle Tournament" was one of the largest and best ones too. I remember that there were lots of wildlife roaming the island and it made for some beautiful photos but I would not think that someone would be poaching in such an active place.

Glad they were caught.

Posted from Gon.com App for Android

I agree with u 100% i would also love to see them have to do a inmate work program and have to take care of wildlife on the island.
Then when they get out of jail make them hav to give a % of what ever money they make give it to DNR.

Posted from Gon.com App for Android

klfutrelle

Those things are pets on the island. Took a bike trip down some trails and they would almost let you touch them.

T-N-T

Thats a big list of stuff being done wrong right there. Way too many charges for me to understand what was going through there mind. That is complete ignorance in many ways. I bet they are sitting in jail wondering how they got caught??? Five deer? They shot and loaded five deer, and were hanging in the area?! DUMB!

erock

I live on Jekyll and can tell you that the herd could use a thinning. I saw almost twenty the other night on my street alone while walking the dog. They absolutely destroyed my garden last year after they learned they could jump the 5 foot fence. This spring I'll have to completely enclose it. And if you want to plant a flowerbed you better be careful what you put in the ground. They'll even walk right up to your door if something delicious is within reach. About the only time we get a break from being looted is when the acorns are dropping.

Like I said, there's alot more on the island than people think but dont get me wrong, these guys deserve whats(hopefully) coming to them.

Killdee

I live on Jekyll and can tell you that the herd could use a thinning. I saw almost twenty the other night on my street alone while walking the dog. They absolutely destroyed my garden last year after they learned they could jump the 5 foot fence. This spring I'll have to completely enclose it. And if you want to plant a flowerbed you better be careful what you put in the ground. They'll even walk right up to your door if something delicious is within reach. About the only time we get a break from being looted is when the acorns are dropping.

Like I said, there's alot more on the island than people think but dont get me wrong, these guys deserve whats(hopefully) coming to them.

Hey erock, I have heard you can put a shorter fence outside the larger one and they wont jump it. Might research that here.

As for the Morons:whip: would be on my list then :shoot: then:yawn:
Just think how many fools like this is riding around every chance they get shooting deer at night, no wonder the herd is down in places.

wingnut2000

I live near Jekyll and hope they get locked for awhile and sell their stuff and put towards wildlife management. I'm glad no stray bullets hurt anyone over there

I want to bow hunt there if it ever gets approved

Munkywrench

All weapons confiscated should be donated to wounded warrior hunts or youth hunts, then auctioned off at the end so they can help pay for future endeavors.

The mtn man

I almost hit one with a rented bicycle on Jekyl once, yea I was a tourist, was a good 8 pt. small body though.this type of poaching happens all the time where I live, thats why most of us hunt in ga. we don't have gamewardens, maybe 1 for 2 counties, deer don't have a chance to populate, we have great habitat.