Lake Burton this Morning/Evening w/pics & videos

Scout'nStripers

Lisa and I got out this morning on Burton and did a little bass fishing and a little trout trolling. We both got what we wanted this morning. I wanted to catch a trout while trolling so we did that, then Lisa got tired of the trolling so we went bass fishing and Lisa caught a nice 5lb LM on a topwater Sammy I made in a blueback pattern. Lisa saw some bluebacks come up to the surface with that bass hot on their tails. She threw the Sammy right into the mix and the LM nailed it. This was Lisa's best topwater bass to date.The trout hammered a Sand Key deep diving crankbait. We also caught some smaller spots while trolling the crankbaits. Water is very clear and the surface temps are around 82-83 degrees. Here's a couple of pics and a video from this morning.
IMAG0519

lisa 5lber

Last edited:

burtontrout

Hey man,

I am going to be up there Saturday morning! Maybe I will see you on the water. Nice post. Glad the trolling works, as it has been good to me too.

Scout'nStripers

Hey man,

I am going to be up there Saturday morning! Maybe I will see you on the water. Nice post. Glad the trolling works, as it has been good to me too.
Thanks for the info! We saw a few suspended fish right in front of the dam this morning and I suspected they were trout. I'd love to catch one of those. I caught the trout scrapping bottom with a crankbait in 25-30 feet early this morning. Once the sun got up there was some topwater action. Most were smaller fish but we did find some bigger LM pushing BB's up to the surface. Awesome Lake up here. We both like it.

burtontrout

Great. Glad it helped. My wife just called and told me we will be spending the weekend up there. Cant wait. That lake is fantastic. In the evenings you can catch some great sunsets from the middle of the lake.

Rabun

Hey Scoutin and Burtontrout, i'll be up as well. What are you fishing out of? I'll be down rigging baits in a white sea pro cc...flag me down.

That's quite a bucket mouth!

burtontrout

Rabun,
I fish out of a Pontoon with 2 rod holders. Probably wont fish until Sunday morning. May take my kid to wildcat if the crowds are mild.

Scout'nStripers

Hey Scoutin and Burtontrout, i'll be up as well. What are you fishing out of? I'll be down rigging baits in a white sea pro cc...flag me down.

That's quite a bucket mouth!
Rabun, we should be fishing early Sat. morning. We're fishing out of a little tan Lowes 17 ft Aluminum. I have big colorful oval decals on the sides.

We went back out this evening and trolled the west side of the lake for an hour or so just trying to stay in the shade. Lisa was trolling a little U-rig and I stuck with the Sand Key crankbait. The crankbait caught 2 dink spots, a perch of some sort, and another decent trout.
Here's a little video of the trout this evening.

20140828185239(1)

Last edited:

Hyper Sniper

Great job Lisa and Jim, scouting the new waters is fun in its self. now targeting new species is fun as well, so great job you guys. Oh thanks Jim for catching me some bait for this fall...LOL

Scout'nStripers

Great job Lisa and Jim, scouting the new waters is fun in its self. now targeting new species is fun as well, so great job you guys. Oh thanks Jim for catching me some bait for this fall...LOL

Thanks Dan. I'll see if I can get a few bigger ones for your bait.;)

We've driven up here for lunch on a Saturday at the marina a few times but we've never fished the lake till now. What a gorgeous place. Lisa is really liking all these multi-million dollar homes here around the lake. Everyone takes pride in their fancy boat docks. We launched next to the trout hatchery and checked it out. Pretty cool.

Funny how any other time I'd be running a big hook through the upper jaw of these trout and putting them on a planer board in hopes of a big striper. Those fertile Tennessee rivers are just up the road and I know of a place that the big sow stripers would eat these trout in a heartbeat in late August.facepalm:

Rabun

Nice job Scoutin! I'll be on the lookout for you. I'd like to see you tie into a nice six pounder....that would bring you back for sure! Be a heck of a striper to gulp that one down :)

Scout'nStripers

Nice job Scoutin! I'll be on the lookout for you. I'd like to see you tie into a nice six pounder....that would bring you back for sure! Be a heck of a striper to gulp that one down :)

Rabun, a 6 pounder would be awesome! These trout up here are gorgeous. I caught a few more of the 1-2lb smaller variety this morning while trolling crankbaits and Lisa got a few more smaller bass on a little z-shad medium diver crankbait, but nothing as big as yesterday.

Man, the topwater bass are going nuts up here. Some are very large, but with the clear water we're struggling to get them. We've thrown the kitchen sink at them but they are keying on smaller Bluebacks on the surface and you need to hit them right when they come up, or they are gone. We saw some larger trout getting into the surface action also. We're gonna hit it again late this evening and then early in the am. Give us a shout in the am if you see us!:cheers:

StriperrHunterr

Rabun, a 6 pounder would be awesome! These trout up here are gorgeous. I caught a few more of the 1-2lb smaller variety this morning while trolling crankbaits and Lisa got a few more smaller bass on a little z-shad medium diver crankbait, but nothing as big as yesterday.

Man, the topwater bass are going nuts up here. Some are very large, but with the clear water we're struggling to get them. We've thrown the kitchen sink at them but they are keying on smaller Bluebacks on the surface and you need to hit them right when they come up, or they are gone. We saw some larger trout getting into the surface action also. We're gonna hit it again late this evening and then early in the am. Give us a shout in the am if you see us!:cheers:

Try a prop bait to see if you can't imitate one feeding. Or a popper.

Scout'nStripers

Try a prop bait to see if you can't imitate one feeding. Or a popper.
Tried a prop bait and 2 different poppers. Tried underspins, swimbaits, plastics, dropshot, unweighted flukes, jerks, cranks and a whole host of other baits. This clear water makes it tough. As soon as you get the boat close to them they move off. I'm gonna break out the big Z9R Swimbait on em in the morning. I wouldn't mind catching a nice bass, but I'm more focused on trout. I probably wouldn't even mess with the bass if Lisa wasn't here.

StriperrHunterr

Tried a prop bait and 2 different poppers. Tried underspins, swimbaits, plastics, dropshot, unweighted flukes, jerks, cranks and a whole host of other baits. This clear water makes it tough. As soon as you get the boat close to them they move off. I'm gonna break out the big Z9R Swimbait on em in the morning. I wouldn't mind catching a nice bass, but I'm more focused on trout. I probably wouldn't even mess with the bass if Lisa wasn't here.

You really did throw the kitchen sink.

Scout'nStripers

You really did throw the kitchen sink.
Mike, Lisa has been trying everything in the box also. I wouldn't be trying so hard but I'll never hear the end of it if we go home with Lisa catching the biggest fish. I need a 6lber and I don't care if it's a bass, trout, striper, perch or walleye.

StriperrHunterr

Mike, Lisa has been trying everything in the box also. I wouldn't be trying so hard but I'll never hear the end of it if we go home with Lisa catching the biggest fish. I need a 6lber and I don't care if it's a bass, trout, striper, perch or walleye.

Uh oh, it's one of those days. My wife still hasn't let me forget that her boss caught a bigger striper on one trip with me than she has in all of her trips.

I left you a VM, give me a shout when you get back home.

Scout'nStripers

Uh oh, it's one of those days. My wife still hasn't let me forget that her boss caught a bigger striper on one trip with me than she has in all of her trips.

I left you a VM, give me a shout when you get back home.
I got it. We'll do.

Scout'nStripers

This evening I added a largemouth to the list of fish that have fallen to the crankbait on Burton. So far the sand key crankbait count is 4 trout, 5 spotted bass, 1 largemouth and a kicker perch. We're lookin for catfish and walleye tomorrow. Here's a video of the LM this evening.