Snagged some trees on clearance from Lowe’s. Can I plant now?

XJfire75

He yall! I snagged 3 apples, 2 pears, and 2 chestnut trees from Lowe’s today for 60% off.

I just bought 5 acres and cleared 1.5 so plan to tuck this mini orchard in the backyard. My yard is facing almost due east so I’ll have sun almost all day after clearing tree tops across the street.

Can I go ahead and stick them in the ground and water them in here in SE Ga? Rain is forecast Saturday and normally we have pretty wet “winters”. Any extra tips other than dig a hole and drop em in?

Thanks!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If you are going to care for the trees it won’t harm them to plant now.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Do you ever put pipe around the trunk?
The first trees I ever planted I put 4" black plastic around, after killing millions of ants I decided the best was to use a tube that was designed for such tree plantings. Money well spend and overall cheaper.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I also put mulch 2-3 feet around the base with landscape fabric under it.A planting tube from either Isons or wildlife group and a wire fence around it.The trees establish a lot better than just digging a hole and planting the tree.

XJfire75

I also put mulch 2-3 feet around the base with landscape fabric under it.A planting tube from either Isons or wildlife group and a wire fence around it.The trees establish a lot better than just digging a hole and planting the tree.

Plan to get some fencing around them also. In an area with a bunch a does but no real racked bucks, yet. Have some deer repellent powder I planned to toss out until I can find some tubes or fencing that’ll work.

I’m saving jugs for water and I’m over there 2-3 a wee so watering will be easy.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Fence would be needed when you plant. The tube can wait a little while.A 5 gallon bucket with a 1/8th " hole drilled in the bottom edge workes really well for watering.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
4 ft 2 x 4 fencing at the big box store works pretty good. Cut it into 3 ft pcs pcs and install with a fence post.

XJfire75

Cool l’ll get some. Have some stakes to secure the fencing from staking out the house footing already. I’ll try the bucket truck. Rain in the forecast this weekend and several days next week!

ucfireman

I use concrete wire, like you make tomato cages out of, just cut the ends off the bottom and stick it in the ground, works well to keep deer from rubbing. They will still eat the leaves though.
Awesome you found chestnuts, never seen them at big box store other than walmart in the spring.

oldguy

I've started putting an upright 5' section of 4" pvc pipe in the ground beside the new trees. Cap one end of pipe, drill small holes around and up the sides of the pipe, and a few in the cap. When you pour water in from the top it goes straight to the root zone. No run off. No wasted water. Circle tree and pipe with fence wire staked with T-posts.
For bare root trees I've started potting them in 3-gallon pots and keeping them at home for a year to develop good roots before setting them out.

misterpink

If you dont mind, which lowes?

All the big box and home improvement stores start putting fruit trees on clearance between now and xmas. I picked some up for $5 each down from $30 a few years ago and they are doing great. They may not be the best cultivar for GA but for food plots and such they are well worth it.

GeorgiaGlockMan

4 ft 2 x 4 fencing at the big box store works pretty good. Cut it into 3 ft pcs pcs and install with a fence post.
Or just use a tomato cage. Cut it and hook the ends for easy installation on bigger trees.

You can cut them off when the tree is 6-8" in diameter.

You can also raise them up easily and hook them to the tree when you need to weed eat..and them put them right back when done.