How many others are worried about snakes?

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
I was the one on our crew that generally went in first to run the snakes and gators off so we could work in peace.

Same here. If I’m hunting or fishing with my cousins and I see them waiting on me I know they are wanting me to snake and gator proof the area before they wade through. I don’t worry about either. More worried about stepping in a hole, falling, or hitting an overhanging wasp nest.
Just watch your step and you will be fine.

jbogg

I wear snake boots in the mountains from April to November and probably walk a couple hundred miles solo each year off trail while hunting and scouting. The boots give me some peace of mind, but honestly in the handful of encounters I have had with Timber Rattlers, striking seems to be the last thing they want to do. I have inadvertently stepped within a foot of one on a couple of occasions and they started buzzin, but did not strike. One of them actually buried its head in its own coils in a very defensive posture. With that said the snake boots are like an insurance policy. Probably won’t ever need them but nice to have just in case I step on that one that I can’t see in a blueberry patch. Stepping in a stump hole and blowing out my ACL is far more likely.

MFOSTER

BANNED
To be honest, snakes don't normally worry me. Of course, that's probably because I once had a Herpetologist room mate. Aside from a standard selection of rat snakes, boas, and pythons, he also had about a dozen eastern diamondbacks, a gaboon viper, some juvenile cobras, and a full grown monocle cobra. The last one was fairly sweet, but that gaboon made me real nervous.
Pics of roommate she must have been gorgeous.

b rad

this use to be a big concern for me and it would take me a lot longer to get to the tree in the mornings watching every step i took very close, after so many run ins with timbers,mocassins and all the venomous snakes in coastal GA they always ran away or coil up. so now i just walk and dont even watch my step i figure if they gonna bite me then oh well. my verizon service works well if i need to call 911. i worry more about a florida panther charging me.

oldguy

Consider how many people die or are injured in vehicles every day, and how very few folks ever get bitten by a venomous snake. The most dangerous part of your hunt is the time you spend in the vehicle. STOP worrying about snakes!

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I've had several close encounters with venomous snakes over the years. I wear snake boots religiously. If possible I kill them when I see them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've had several close encounters with venomous snakes over the years. I wear snake boots religiously. If possible I kill them when I see them.
Trying to kill a snake is how most folks get bitten.

mudracing101

I think about them alot more that i used too. I've had a couple of close run- ins with some lately that has spooked me more than it used to. I know the wife does too, she was with me one afternoon, wearing flip flops, sitting on a porch style deck when a snake came out from under it and bit her. Whats the odds of that? She's definately gun shy.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You folks up in the mountains have the least to worry about. The most docile rattlesnake and the least venomous moccasin. Just be mindful and you`ll be fine. Ya`ll ain`t got near the snake types, including venomous, up yonder that we do down here. We have all the biggest and the baddest.

flyrod444

I don't really worry a how lot about snakes. I fish around 60 days a year in trout stream in Western North Carolina and wear felt sole sandles from may thru October. Most of the venimous snakes I come up on are on trails and or roads back in the sticks. I just watch where I step or place my hands. One is much more likely to be struck by a falling limb or even lightning than a snake. I was walking up an old road to a stream to fish one morning when a dead oak tree fell about 30 yards in front of me and a guy with me. It landed across the road we were on and shook the ground we were on. I looked at him and said timing was with us this day. Bee's are the biggest threat I deal with. I get into them every year at least once on my fishing trips. I carry chewable benadryl for when I can't run fast enough to get away from them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You folks up in the mountains have the least to worry about. The most docile rattlesnake and the least venomous moccasin. Just be mindful and you`ll be fine. Ya`ll ain`t got near the snake types, including venomous, up yonder that we do down here. We have all the biggest and the baddest.
I'm glad we don't have cottonmouths up here-at least you don't have to worry when you're in the water. Our timber rattlers aren't aggressive at all, and most of the copperheads aren't. Most people I know who have been copperhead bit involved pulling weeds, picking vegetables, or picking up piles of brush or other stuff off the ground. Or trying to kill a copperhead.

Buckman18

Amen! I love my mountains!

I’ve never seen a diamondback in the wild, or a gator for that matter. I’d like to, just don’t get down that way enough.

Timberman

Most people who are bitten by snakes are either handling them or trying to kill them.

This right here. I spent the better part of 2 decades cruising timber in South Georgia, Florida and South Carolina and the only time I saw someone get bit they were messing with the snake.

If I was cruising timber I wore chaps because I was blasting thru the woods on a mission and only had one thing on my mind.

I always figured if I was to get bit it'd be when I was just stepping out of the truck for a minute or two, but I never had a close call that I recollect.

I had way more run ins with yellow jackets and wasps.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Amen! I love my mountains!

I’ve never seen a diamondback in the wild, or a gator for that matter. I’d like to, just don’t get down that way enough.

I`m of the barterin` type. Make a trade with you. Come on down here and I`ll put you on diamondbacks, canebrakes, cottonmouths, and gators.. No promises on coral snake, they be somewhat shy. And we`ll catch a mess of redbellies and have dinner in the swamp. In return, you put me on some of them mountain specks. Remember, I`m old, wore out, got a bad knee, ornery, and can`t get around as good as I could 50 years ago . :cheers:

You`ll have the chance to do this. ;)gator5.jpg