9mm for deer

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Has anyone used a 9mm for deer and if so what is a good starting point for ammo.

Lilly001

There have been several threads about this.
The general thoughts are that it doesn't have enough power.
However some believe that at short range with good shot placement it would suffice.
Use an expanding bullet of the bonded type so you will get some penetration.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Would it kill a deer? In the right situation, yes. I've killed a deer with a .22LR. Would I intentionally deer hunt with either round? No. Just not enough juice. In fact, I would probably prefer the .22LR to a 9mm.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I heard of a 22 killing a cow in the dark before. ?
I've seen it kill several 1200 lb. steers and many 300-lb. hogs in the daylight, too. And a 300 lb bear. But-I'm not gonna bear hunt with one, either, though. :)

Lilly001

C'mon man...this whole mentality of trying to kill a deer with the smallest weapon available is getting absurd. The 9MM doesn't have the capacity to humanely harvest a deer.

This is just getting ridiculous.
When gov't keeps out of our lives by not specifying every little task you do sometimes get people who will push the limit of common sense. But the freedom of choice for the rest of us is worth this occasionally extream behavior.

gma1320

I'm not particularly interested in hunting with a 9mm. I have rifles and bows for that. It was more of I've always wondered the answer type of question. More or less I was wondering if I jumped a deer at close range would the gun humanely and ethically take down the animal

Hillbilly stalker

It would've alright to finish one off with if you had him down in a creek or something. That's about it.

ShortMagFan

I’m embarrassed to say I tried it the other day. Had an average size doe right under my stand. Glock 19, laser dancing behind her shoulder. She acted hit at the shot and I was expecting a short death sprint. Last I saw of that deer she was running straight up the steepest hill on my land like nothing was wrong. I found blood and tissue but no deer

Not my proudest moment.

That said, if a 9mm isn’t adequate for a 100 lb deer at less than 20 yards, is it really an effective self defense cartridge on a 200 lb clothed human? I’ve got to think I somehow pulled the shot. A 124 hst in the boiler room at that range should do the job

That said, I owe the deer better than what I did. I do have a Ruger pc carbine I plan to use on pigs this winter, but pigs are useless vermin as far as I’m concerned

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’m embarrassed to say I tried it the other day. Had an average size doe right under my stand. Glock 19, laser dancing behind her shoulder. She acted hit at the shot and I was expecting a short death sprint. Last I saw of that deer she was running straight up the steepest hill on my land like nothing was wrong. I found blood and tissue but no deer

Not my proudest moment.

That said, if a 9mm isn’t adequate for a 100 lb deer at less than 20 yards, is it really an effective self defense cartridge on a 200 lb clothed human? I’ve got to think I somehow pulled the shot. A 124 hst in the boiler room at that range should do the job

That said, I owe the deer better than what I did. I do have a Ruger pc carbine I plan to use on pigs this winter, but pigs are useless vermin as far as I’m concerned
Deer are a whole lot tougher than people. I've had deer run 150 yards lung shot with a .300Winmag, and further than that shot through both shoulders and the aorta with a .50 muzzleloader.

As for the pigs, deer won't generally slice, dice, and julienne you if you wound them. Pigs just might.

Hunter/Mason

My father in law used to have 300ac in Webster Co. Me and my brother were riding down to the back 1 night and rode up on a doe badly tangled in a old fence. He walked up and shot her twice behind the shoulder with hollow points. Maybe 3 steps away. She jumped up tore out of the fence and ran off. We trailed blood for less than 50yds and nothing else never found her.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Thankfully, I see that many others here have the same thoughts that I have when it comes to having respect for the animal and trying to humanely take care of business.

I just hope that nobody shows up later and wants to kill a deer with a slingshot !!!!! :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

jfarrell30339

When gov't keeps out of our lives by not specifying every little task you do sometimes get people who will push the limit of common sense. But the freedom of choice for the rest of us is worth this occasionally extream behavior.

I agree with you on the govt. interference. But I also want to make sure that the people are able to give feedback and discourage people from doing things that they "can" do but "shouldn't" do. :)

Hillbilly stalker

Thankfully, I see that many others here have the same thoughts that I have when it comes to having respect for the animal and trying to humanely take care of business.

I just hope that nobody shows up later and wants to kill a deer with a slingshot !!!!! :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe
Chief AJ and his slingbow done beat ya to it

Dub

Has anyone used a 9mm for deer and if so what is a good starting point for ammo.

Why would you even want to try ????????

Now.....if you were starving and had to do whatever was necessary to eat....and a 9mm was all you had....then have at it.

Otherwise, there are way better choices.

gma1320

Why would you even want to try ????????

Now.....if you were starving and had to do whatever was necessary to eat....and a 9mm was all you had....then have at it.

Otherwise, there are way better choices.
See my above post as to why I asked.