2019 Oglethorpe County

Triple C

That is great TripC. Way cool with the traditional gear. Is it your first traditional kill or just first in some time? Congrats, sir.

Perfect pig to split and que whole on the coals. Just get those glands out.

1st trad kill since my “freshman” trad year in 2014 or 15. I’ve missed 4 or 5 deer since then. Spent a lot more time practicing this year. Shot felt great when I released and went like it had a laser on it. Honestly, pigs are the perfect animal of trad shooting. You can spot n stalk em much easier than deer. I hate em so bad I rarely shoot em cause I don’t want to lose an arrow or broad head. This morn was different for some reason. When I saw em come in I decided to shoot.

Now I need something with horns on it. It’s a blast shooting trad even though the killing is few n far between.

Buford_Dawg

WTG AC, nice hog and with Trad gear. I meant to get over and visit you this week but it seemed like we had all kind of things we had to take care of in between hunts. Came home today to rest up, LOL, hunting can whoop me sometimes. Be back down Thursday evening for the weekend. Deer sightings have really slowed down for us. Pressure, less deer around after some heavy killing the last 3 weekends around the clubs and deer wising up lead to that this time of year. Happy Turkey day to you fellow OC'ers and good luck this weekend if you happen to get in the woods.

Triple C

Been n this bottom snow 2:30. Pretty sit with the leaves mostly gone.
WTG AC, nice hog and with Trad gear. I meant to get over and visit you this week but it seemed like we had all kind of things we had to take care of in between hunts. Came home today to rest up, LOL, hunting can whoop me sometimes. Be back down Thursday evening for the weekend. Deer sightings have really slowed down for us. Pressure, less deer around after some heavy killing the last 3 weekends around the clubs and deer wising up lead to that this time of year. Happy Turkey day to you fellow OC'ers and good luck this weekend if you happen to get in the woods.

BD - grandson and I have been at it since last Friday. 3 dead pigs so far. We’re still seeing deer just about every sit. So far they’ve all gotten a pass. I’ve got an old friend coming down Friday to hunt the weekend. I’m hosting a couple of hunters on Dec 13 n 14 for the Outdoors Without Limits organization. First time doing this and hope it goes well. OWL seems like a fine organization offering physically challenged folks the ability to experience the outdoors. I’ll post pics n story following the event.

No hunting today for me. My wife and one of our grand daughters came rolling in yesterday afternoon to prepare for Thanksgiving so a few honey-do projects on the board for me today.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Happy Thanksgiving to all the fellow OC hunters out there!

I haven't posted much this deer season because there hasn't been much to post about. Haven't been seeing a ton and haven't even seen a buck worth getting my gun up for! I have saw a dozen or so 8's and 9's but nothing to write home about

Hughy

Good morning guys and Happy Thanksgiving.
I’m still carrying a fever this morning in the “Hotel St Maryiot” not exactly the tract of land I was hoping to be sitting on in Clarke county this morning but the Lord knows what’s best.
I wanted to thank each of you for you prayers on my behalf, not quite out of the woods yet but we are seeing progress. More prayers are welcomed if you think about it.
Y’all enjoy your family time today and this weekend. Continue to post your stories and pics.

Triple C

Got 2 turkeys on the Traeger @325. Grandson n I have been here since last Friday. Wife been down since Tuesday n rest of crew gonna roll in later this afternoon for our 9th Thanksgiving celebrated in OC. Love the easy going life of OC and all the folks that make this thread one of the best on the forum. Wishing all u guys a blessed Thanksgiving!!!ECF7EB40-BA19-45DE-B9BA-40AA911429EE.jpeg

Todd E

@Hughy so sorry you're still in the hospital. Even though the road to recovery has been slow, great to see you're traveling down it.

I've been helping a young man with some tips on night hunting hogs. He headed out Wednesday night by himself. I received the call about 1130 pm Wednesday night. " I need help " Loaded Big Grizz up and off I went into the night. After retrieval, field dressing, quartering, etc crawled in bed at 430am. Up to alarm at 630am and started all the cooking for the day.

I love helping and watching younger people enjoy the Outdoors. Guys first ever hog. Though it was a sow, it was a good one. I think he is hooked on hog huntin now. LoL

FB_IMG_1575029059544.jpgFB_IMG_1575029059544.jpg20191129_070320.jpg

transfixer

@Hughy so sorry you're still in the hospital. Even though the road to recovery has been slow, great to see you're traveling down it.

I've been helping a young man with some tips on night hunting hogs. He headed out Wednesday night by himself. I received the call about 1130 pm Wednesday night. " I need help " Loaded Big Grizz up and off I went into the night. After retrieval, field dressing, quartering, etc crawled in bed at 430am. Up to alarm at 630am and started all the cooking for the day.

I love helping and watching younger people enjoy the Outdoors. Guys first ever hog. Though it was a sow, it was a good one. I think he is hooked on hog huntin now. LoL

View attachment 993253View attachment 993253View attachment 993254
Good Deal Todd ! I feel the same way about helping the younger generation learn about the outdoors and hunting.. can't find many these days that are interested.

jbird1

Not an OC report but a rut report. Spent Thanksgiving down at my dad's in Peachtree City/Fayette County area. He lives in a neighborhood on about 3 wooded acres with a creek running through it. After the mid-afternoon meal, we were all treated to a stud, 130's 8 pointer chasing several does for about 15 mins in the back yard. This was the type of deer that the size of the body makes the rack look small. He was heavily grunting and even aggressively chased off a smaller buck in the process. This all happened after my 10 yr. old had spent most of the day carousing those woods, playing in the creek, and leaving lots of human scent. Now the buck was "rut crazed," but the does that fed through first were not. I explained to the non- hunters that if this were OC, the first doe that cut my son's scent trail would have most likely backed out and we wouldn't have been treated to the whole chase scene. Anyway, these suburban deer are most definitely accustomed to human scent and don't associate it with danger.

After that, I advised my 10 yr. old to make tracks for the house if the deer came back. I didn't want that bruiser to take him for a threat! On the way out, we passed two cars stopped at a downed buck in the road not a mile from my Pop's house. It was a smaller buck than the one we had watched so a different deer. It was definitely "ON' down in Fayette County yesterday.

Hope everyone stayed safe and GREAT Thanksgiving!

transfixer

Just got home from OC a little bit ago, went down Tues evening, hunted 4 days, very little movement this week, at least during daylight hours, only three of us hunting, one buck was shot, only two or three drops of blood found, searched half a day, never found it, I'm hoping it wasn't a fatal wound, guy that shot it was quite disappointed, it was the only deer he saw all week. It was a very enjoyable week, we eat entirely too good at deer camp ! I'm afraid to step on the scales ! lol

I'll be back at it next weekend, but I'm changing my strategy from here on out, heading to the thick stuff and hunting off the ground, they appear to have abandoned the big woods and retreated to the thick hard to get at areas, at least on our lease.

Buford_Dawg

Well, great week again in the woods, not as many sightings, this time of year there are multiple reasons why as noted in earlier post. We had several deer taken, does or unfortunately mistaken young bucks thought to be a doe. And several misses here and there. I am gonna take a couple weekends off and rest up and help the wife around the house decorating and getting ready for the holidays. Go back down after pressure calms down and the deer get back to normal patterns again. Our cell cameras are showing pretty much all activity after dark now. Very little day time movement. Most of the guys in my camp will not be back, so it will be me and one other guy the rest of the year. I think my boys are called it quiets till Rabbit and Turkey season kick in.

Triple C

Whew!!! Been here since Friday before Thanksgiving. Longest I’ve ever spent here at one time. Saw deer just about every sit but nothing I cared to shoot. It’s been a very enjoyable week. Visited Vesta Baptist Church this morn and worshipped with Eddie from Bells Grocery if you happen to know him. Beautiful old church. Bout to head home.

Arrow3

Just got in from visiting the in laws in North Carolina. Been there since Thursday so no hunting for me from the last few days.

I posted a few days ago about a good rub here on my 5 acres at my house. The 1st day I had my camera out he showed up at the rub. Not a bad buck to be here on my little homestead. This was at 2:30 in the afternoon. I've since put up a cell camera and he visited several times over the weekend but all in the dark.Screenshot_20191201-230754_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20191201-230802_Gallery.jpg

transfixer

I'm headed to OC this evening, need to pull cam cards and move a stand, going to try and hunt a few days next week after the rain moves through, with a cold front predicted and the moon table predicting a lot of activity, maybe my oldest and I can connect on a buck, he's in law enforcement and doesn't get to hunt much because of his schedule, I'd really like to see him get a nice one !

Triple C

Another here sitting on the sidelines this weekend. Wife and I are headed to NYC Sunday afternoon. Son will be hunting with his bride this weekend and I'll be tagging along on this thread to keep up with what's happening.

Next week I'm hosting a couple of hunters for the Outdoors Without Limits organization. This will be my first so hope it all goes well. You guys knock em dead this weekend!