Big doe

hogdgz

This is my first year pistol hunting. I lost the very first one I shot this year. Then I harvested 2 does the same weekend but the shots were nothing to brag on. Anyways wen this afternoon and shot this big doe with my glock 10mm and a 200 grain Underwood xtp. Watched her fall. All the practicing and ammo testing has paid off. Only upgrades I have done is a ghost edge trigger kit and AmeriGlo sights. I see a KKM barrel and a gunfighters kenahi chest holster or hill people kit bag in the near future.

Attachments

• 99CB7DFE-42EA-4637-8706-13AD6B288073.png
    99CB7DFE-42EA-4637-8706-13AD6B288073.png
    736.8 KB · Views: 194

frankwright

Congratulations! It is fun isn't it.
I mostly gave up rifles for pistols about 15 years ago.
I have killed some hogs with my G20 but have not had the chance at a deer. I have a red Dot on mine as old eyes don't work well at distances. I am good out to 50 yards if I have any kind of rest.
Good Luck!

Dub

Great kill !!!!

You done good, man.

I'm hoping I get similar thrills from handgun hunting as I did with my bows....before my shoulder decided to exit stage left. :rofl:

My handguns will be fed by hand-loaded 180gr XTP over a healthy dose of Blue Dot (in my 10mm 1911 pistolas) and 240gr XTP over a near-compressed load of H110.

Looking forward to it.

May be willing to work up some 155gr Barnes hollow points if Barnes ever publishes a righteous loading for it.....stuff they've shown so far is mighty weak.

hogdgz

Thanks everyone. I have really enjoyed handgun hunting. I haven’t started reloading yet but someday I plan too.

Reactions: Dub

hogdgz

Great kill !!!!

You done good, man.

I'm hoping I get similar thrills from handgun hunting as I did with my bows....before my shoulder decided to exit stage left. :rofl:

My handguns will be fed by hand-loaded 180gr XTP over a healthy dose of Blue Dot (in my 10mm 1911 pistolas) and 240gr XTP over a near-compressed load of H110.

Looking forward to it.

May be willing to work up some 155gr Barnes hollow points if Barnes ever publishes a righteous loading for it.....stuff they've shown so far is mighty weak.
I know nothing about reloading but hope to one day learn and get the supplies needed. Until then guess I will keep hunting with Underwood ammo

hogdgz

Congratulations! It is fun isn't it.
I mostly gave up rifles for pistols about 15 years ago.
I have killed some hogs with my G20 but have not had the chance at a deer. I have a red Dot on mine as old eyes don't work well at distances. I am good out to 50 yards if I have any kind of rest.
Good Luck!
I have thought about getting my slide milled for an rmr

Dub

I know nothing about reloading but hope to one day learn and get the supplies needed. Until then guess I will keep hunting with Underwood ammo

I don’t hardly see how you’ll go wrong with Underwood. They seem to be the ticket right now in hunting loads.

Buffalo Bore is getting some poor reviews and inconsistent chronograph readings are being submitted by gun folks during video & written reviews.

Underwood seems to be holding up well under similar reviews.

hogdgz

I don’t hardly see how you’ll go wrong with Underwood. They seem to be the ticket right now in hunting loads.

Buffalo Bore is getting some poor reviews and inconsistent chronograph readings are being submitted by gun folks during video & written reviews.

Underwood seems to be holding up well under similar reviews.
I agree. From all my research, Underwood is the leader in factory loaded 10mm hunting ammo.

Dub

Thanks everyone. I have really enjoyed handgun hunting. I haven’t started reloading yet but someday I plan too.

I'd reloaded for rifle and my .357mag & .44mag wheelguns several years ago. Single stage RCBS press and straightforward process. Smooth process led to 1/4" groups with Nosler BT bullets in my off the rack bolt guns and some mild-to-wild loads for the wheelies. Hunting time ground to a halt for the foreseeable future....sold my gear to a buddy who is still using it to roll his own and keep his freezer full and some nice bucks on his wall.

A few months ago I decided to get back into reloading.....mainly for pistol this time. I wanted to step up my range sessions to at least 1-2 times a week.

Decided what I wanted for pistol...ordered it....and then decided to get another to set up for rifle & experimental stuff.

It's about to whoop me getting the stuff I wanted to do so...and get it setup.

The biggest obstacle was getting the space cleared out in a spare room to build my bench....almost there. Presses, mounts, toolheads, dies and components are ready to get started. 10mm is one that really has keen interest for me.

I enjoyed my G20 years ago when I used it on a swampy hunting area....things was great on snakes & hogs. Moccasins....aggressive ones dang near every hunt. Didn't take a 10mm to kill 'em, but that's what I was toting along with my bolt rifle. Winchester 175gr Silvertips and DoubleTap loads were what I used.

I've really transitioned over to to 1911 for most every handgun use...enthused to be able to add 'em to hunting. Gonna be a fun winter getting some loads dialed in.

Starting with 180gr XTP at what I hope is 1,275+ fps.

hogdgz

I'd reloaded for rifle and my .357mag & .44mag wheelguns several years ago. Single stage RCBS press and straightforward process. Smooth process led to 1/4" groups with Nosler BT bullets in my off the rack bolt guns and some mild-to-wild loads for the wheelies. Hunting time ground to a halt for the foreseeable future....sold my gear to a buddy who is still using it to roll his own and keep his freezer full and some nice bucks on his wall.

A few months ago I decided to get back into reloading.....mainly for pistol this time. I wanted to step up my range sessions to at least 1-2 times a week.

Decided what I wanted for pistol...ordered it....and then decided to get another to set up for rifle & experimental stuff.

It's about to whoop me getting the stuff I wanted to do so...and get it setup.

The biggest obstacle was getting the space cleared out in a spare room to build my bench....almost there. Presses, mounts, toolheads, dies and components are ready to get started. 10mm is one that really has keen interest for me.

I enjoyed my G20 years ago when I used it on a swampy hunting area....things was great on snakes & hogs. Moccasins....aggressive ones dang near every hunt. Didn't take a 10mm to kill 'em, but that's what I was toting along with my bolt rifle. Winchester 175gr Silvertips and DoubleTap loads were what I used.

I've really transitioned over to to 1911 for most every handgun use...enthused to be able to add 'em to hunting. Gonna be a fun winter getting some loads dialed in.

Starting with 180gr XTP at what I hope is 1,275+ fps.

I would really like to handload at some point but kinda want to wait until I have a mentor to help me get started.

Out of curiosity you prefer the 180xtp over the 200xtp? Which performs better on deer?

Dub

I would really like to handload at some point but kinda want to wait until I have a mentor to help me get started.

Out of curiosity you prefer the 180xtp over the 200xtp? Which performs better on deer?

I had a local source for 180 factory ammo to try in the guns.....as well as local source that stocks the 180 XTP & Blue Dot on a consistent basis.....that's some of what pushed me towards it....that and a pile of hunters on other gun/reloading forums.

hogdgz

I had a local source for 180 factory ammo to try in the guns.....as well as local source that stocks the 180 XTP & Blue Dot on a consistent basis.....that's some of what pushed me towards it....that and a pile of hunters on other gun/reloading forums.

Wow, that’s a good reason haha. I have some Hornady loaded 180xtp and they shoot good I just thought the 200 might be better for deer. You got me wanting to try the 180 now. Also my 200 are loaded by Underwood and the 180 are the Hornady loaded.

A lil late to the post… but well done hogdgz! As was mentioned any kill with a handgun is a trophy! I too like the Hornady 180 gr XTP. Nice doe!
Brian

TomC

KKM.........KKM.........KKM!!!!! I saw a big improvement in my accuracy when I added to my Glock 10mm's!

Congrats! Looks like you are hooked!

Wifeshusband

Good for you! I have hunted deer with shotguns, bows, rifles, and handguns, and found hand gunning thoroughly enjoyable. It's more personal and makes picking your stand site more important, and
selecting stand sites is the brainiest part of hunting in my opinion.