North Florida Points - Any ID / Info Appreciated!

Bigbendgyrene

I've only found a couple of points on my place since moving to it in 2014, but the first one was a real doozy! Found it while working on the very first food plot I started.

Native American Point 1.jpg

Year or so later I found this one on the edge of a pond bank that sits a couple of hundred yards away from where I found the first point. Bit of a heart breaker as it wasn't as fully intact as the first find.

15675741_10211746781680502_2508985108804080546_o.jpg

My place is within 20 miles or so of Tallahassee. Love to know any / all info anyone can share on point ID, material, likely use, etc. Did about all the google work I could on the first point found in the field, and closest visual I could find was South Prong point and it looked like the map that showed where they were used / found included my North Florida area. But found a number of Kirks, Cypress, and other point types that also looked somewhat similar.

Photos below give bit better look at the points from various directions.

20200116_194451.jpg

20200116_194522(1).jpg

Broken point found near the pond is almost perfectly flat though fairly thick in center of the point / has some heft.

The more dramatically serrated point on the other hand has a fair amount of curvature when looking at it from the side. Pardon the blur, but hope this shows the curvature fairly well.

20200116_194612.jpg

I'm guessing the more dramatically serrated point found in the field might have been used as a hafted knife point? Interestingly along the inside portion of the curvature it has an indentation where my thumb sits PERFECTLY / truly fits like a glove. Curious if that feature was an intentional one or just coincidental? In first picture below you can see the indentation on the bottom right side with the second picture showing my thumb resting in the spot.

20200116_194658.jpg

20200116_194756.jpg

Again, ANY AND ALL insight into the points is GREATLY appreciated!

dtala

whole one is a South Prong Creek, middle Archaic point related to the earlier Kirk family. 3500-2500BC

second(broke) is a middle-late Archaic point, could be one of several types. Same time frame as first

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice finds!

Swamprat

Swamprat
Lot of serrated points found in SW GA and North FL....not sure why they are so common for this area.

Have found points in Central FL, East GA, and SE SC and none were serrated but seems like 2 out of 5 found around here whether whole or brokes are serrated.

Bow Only

That serrated point was the broken tip of a Kirk Serrated and it was re-sharpened back into a functioning point, more than likely to be used as a knife. Whether you call it a South Prong Creek or not is a judgement call.