What would you do?

Paid Up

What would you do? I have a 2017 F150 King Ranch that I took to a National tire chain to have new tires put on. I waited on the truck and it was dark when they brought it out. The next day I realized all 4 rims around the edges the chrome was chipped off of them. I went back to the store and spoke to the manager who said the best tire changer in town changed the tires and when he went back to talk with him he said "yea as i was taking the old tires off the chrome started chipping, so what". The manager proceed to tell me the rims are cheap and normally the chrome peals off after a year I should be fortunate that i have gotten 2 years our fo the rims. The guy who put the new tires on said i can't help it the chrome chipped off and walked off. Now am I ****ed the chrome chipped YES, as I said to the manager don't you think it would have been wise to tell me when he took the 1st one off and noticed this? No response - so what would you do? I have 4 King Ranch rims that around all edges is chipped chrome. I know I can go get aftermarket rims BUT when i took the truck in there was no issue with the rims and then i pick it up with 4 screwed up rims. In my opinion the guy taking the tires off on the dismounting machine did not have a protect on the arm that helps get them off BUT I am no tire guy. Any thoughts?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
If I purchased the truck new I would go to the dealership and get an opinion from the service dept. If it were in my favor I would get it in writing even if I had to write it and get them to sign it. If in my favor I would get them to give me an estimate on new rims.

Then I would revisit the Tire Store prepared to take them to small claims court if they didn't make it good.

Lot of ifs above, but you didn't give all the info needed to answer the question.

Paid Up

Good idea to take to ford and get their opinion. This was the 1st set of tires and the tire changer admitted to the manager and I he did it but said it’s cheap rims. He was kinda smart about it and did not care. factory rims are $400 each

Last edited by a moderator:

twtabb

Happened to my wife’s explorer. She is anal about her vehicle. I caught it as soon as we picked it up. Store manager said to bring it back and they polish the aluminum back to a shine.

transfixer

If I'm not mistaken they have tools with a nylon piece on them that runs against the rim to prevent things like that from happening, at least on the newer machines, think about all those " blingy" rims you see nowadays , they have to have a way of installing/removing tires on them without scratching them up ?

Tire store is definitely at fault, besides asking the dealer I would go ask another one of the larger chain tire stores, and maybe take a pic of the tools they use to remove tires, as evidence for how it should have been done.

You may end up having to contact corporate, but they should take care of it.

GoldDot40

I had a local independent tire shop mount a set of tires on a brand new set of American Racing Torque Thrust II polished aluminum wheels. I watched him mount all 4 of them. His machine never even touched the lip of the wheel. The guide can easily be set to where it's a couple of millimeters off the rim.

This tire shop the OP had install his tires is 100% liable for the damage they did to his wheels.

bruiserbuckgrower

If you care too, post some pics, but the tire shop would be replacing my rim's, cheap or not (king ranch rims are not cheap, ford didnt put cheap rims on their flagship truck) they went in perfect and came out damaged. Now I could see the ballancing weights potentially chipping a rim if not removed with care

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
They are at fault, but unless you can figure out how to make them take responsibility it would be best to start building the evidence you will need to do it in court. This is well within the bounds of small claims court and they will have to pay the costs if they loose. A business would be easy to collect from once a judgment is in hand.

GoldDot40

One more point. The OP said this was a National chain...which means they have a corporate office. Emails with pictures and details of the date, time, costs and all conversations need to be sent to corporate. Emails are an excellent way to keep records of who said what.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Different scenario, I stopped at a local chain gas/fuel station and filled my diesel truck up one morning. 33 gallons of fuel, truck made it less then an eighth of a mile and died. Had it towed to a local shop and found water in the fuel, I saved a Powerade bottle of the mess. Stopped at the store I bought the fuel at and talked to the manager, he opened a complaint with the head office for me. I got a call that day and by noon the next day they were willing to pay whatever it took to repair my truck. Emails and photos were my best friend! Out of 33 gallons I had 16 gallon of water in my fuel.

cramer

We had a situation with NTB on my son's truck when he was on leave.
He had to drive my truck back to Lejeune that day.
I got the district manager's phone number.
he sent a wrecker to my house and picked up the truck, took it to his best house and corrected all that was wronged
then he put brakes on my wife's jeep, free of charge.
I had been using NTB FOR 25+ years.
The DM was solid, but you just can't get good help anymore.
haven't been back.
now that Kaufman has Been sold, all chains are alike .

I would reach out to the district manager on this