INTERESTING DOINGS...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
About time for the wood frogs to start breeding here.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Along with the 1.8 inches yesterday,I poured out 2.35 inches this morning. Those trees should be good for a couple of days.

oldguy

Checked out an old mail-box that I put on the side of my storage shed. Got a three-quarters finishe nest in it! Wrens are easy to satisfy, they use it every year. Sitting on the screen porch right now and there's a bluebird calling. Started 4 new boxes yesterday to put on local WMAs. A way of giving back to places I get so much enjoyment out of.

oldguy

Red buds a'blooming, buckeye leaves open, and marsh marigold blooming, No sheds found but did find some shed winter hair (deer).

oldguy

Big flock of sandhill cranes over the house about 5:30pm yesterday. Heading north. Love to hear that call!

Gary Mercer

Hey Oldguy, my Sandhills are flying East. You think they are headed to some kind of flyway near the coast? Or are they just trying to confuse this old guy?
A number of large flocks, one was at least 50+ birds. Love that sound in the Spring. (Not so much in the Fall.)

oldguy

No telling what them long necked critters 'er up too.
You ever see one do the mating dance? Saw one at the local zoo. Pick up a stick in his mouth. Hop up off the ground. Spread his wings. Bow. Very intertaining. He was all by himself, no female to impress!

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I'm still looking for Purple Martin scouts here. This is the latest in over 40 years of having Martins that they've arrived. The Purple Martin Conservation people's scouting report for Georgia shows them all around,I saw some yesterday at Kathleen,but not here. Hopeful they'll arrive when the rains clear out.

oldguy

I'm still looking for Purple Martin scouts here. This is the latest in over 40 years of having Martins that they've arrived. The Purple Martin Conservation people's scouting report for Georgia shows them all around,I saw some yesterday at Kathleen,but not here. Hopeful they'll arrive when the rains clear out.
Keep us posted.

Gary Mercer

Dang, everything is starting to bloom. My tulip trees are in full bloom, and Forsythia, Quince, Cherries are all showing out.
Got my first red wing blackbirds yesterday. Pretty birds, but will eat you out of house and home.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What's a "Wood Frog??"
Is that what we call tree frogs?
No. They are medium-sized brown frogs that live out in the woods. You usually only see them when they are breeding in late winter.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Two firsts for the year here today:

The red-winged blackbirds came back.

Peep frogs (spring peepers) are hollering. It's supposed to snow tomorrow night.