INTERESTING DOINGS...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That, and his Round River, are two books that never get old. About freezing here at daylight.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Sand County Almanac should be required reading in all high schools.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I let my older brother read it. He didn’t get it. I said let me explained it in simple terms. You have a fairly unproductive farm. It is nothing but fescue and sweet gums. Remove both and plant native plants, trees and grasses and then don’t overgraze your pastures if you decide to put cows back on it. Your property will then be in harmony with nature.

oldguy

Sand County Almanac should be required reading in all high schools.
I've said that a thousand times! When we were working with teachers during summer workshops I'd give them assigned readings each evening to discuss the next morning. The belly aching, moaning and groaning, and general reluctance beat any group of school kids you ever saw! You can lead a horse to water...

oldguy

I let my older brother read it. He didn’t get it. I said let me explained it in simple terms. You have a fairly unproductive farm. It is nothing but fescue and sweet gums. Remove both and plant native plants, trees and grasses and then don’t overgraze your pastures if you decide to put cows back on it. Your property will then be in harmony with nature.
As the Man said "A thing is right..."

oldguy

I should have added that I don't get folks who don't get it!

oldguy

Yesterday I thumped a green bot fly on the screen of the porch. It fell dead on its back on a 2x4. In a minute I watched as a mosquito crawled over and stuck its probosis in the fly. Skeeter stayed busy for several miniutes. When my wife came out I showed her what was going on. She said "gross"! I said "fasiinating!"
Now just outside the screen on the upright 2x4, just inches from where ysterday's drama unfolded there's a pair of anoles locked in coitus!
This morning I was lookink at an Indian Pink I potted last Fall. It's about to bloom, so I went to look at others in the edge of the woods and low and behold I discovered a trillium in bloom! Didn't even know it was there or where it came from. Welcome!

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Yesterday I thumped a green bot fly on the screen of the porch. It fell dead on its back on a 2x4. In a minute I watched as a mosquito crawled over and stuck its probosis in the fly. Skeeter stayed busy for several miniutes. When my wife came out I showed her what was going on. She said "gross"! I said "fasiinating!"
Now just outside the screen on the upright 2x4, just inches from where ysterday's drama unfolded there's a pair of anoles locked in coitus!
This morning I was lookink at an Indian Pink I potted last Fall. It's about to bloom, so I went to look at others in the edge of the woods and low and behold I discovered a trillium in bloom! Didn't even know it was there or where it came from. Welcome!
I'm glad to know that there are other people who think all of nature is interesting. I like to think I can mostly identify plants and animals around me. There are people on this forum who are way ahead of me in this ability. When I see something I can't identify,I grab a reference book,ask someone that may know,Google it,or use the forum.

oldguy

I'm glad to know that there are other people who think all of nature is interesting. I like to think I can mostly identify plants and animals around me. There are people on this forum who are way ahead of me in this ability. When I see something I can't identify,I grab a reference book,ask someone that may know,Google it,or use the forum.
I've got shelves full of guides/keys to all sorts of organisms. Books are good! I've been wanting to make this particular recommendation, so now's as good a time as any. Since there are so many posts asking about snake ID EVERYBODY NEEDS a copy of "Amphibians and Reptiles of Georgia" edited by John B. Jensen, Carlos D. Camp, Whit Gibbons, and Matt J. Elliott. Clear photographs of every critter, plus descriptions, and maps of distribution. No need to wonder anymore!

westcobbdog

Up fishing the Toccoa yesterday and near Coopers creek store a powerful wind storm knocked over hundreds of old growth white pine and hemlock, they are strewn every where, some enormous trees. Destruction looked to a few months old.

oldguy

Up fishing the Toccoa yesterday and near Coopers creek store a powerful wind storm knocked over hundreds of old growth white pine and hemlock, they are strewn every where, some enormous trees. Destruction looked to a few months old.
Hate to hear it!