Rock Treads

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Have any of y'all tried them? I get so tired of slipping and sliding around in the creeks around here. Our stream bottoms are like walking on greased bowling balls. I bought an expensive pair of rubber-bottomed Simms boots last year because of the growing shutdown of felt soles in national parks and such, but they are slick as a mole's butt and about worthless as a consequence. It's a constant struggle staying upright with them. The carbide studs don't help hardly at all, and come off to boot. I ordered me a set of aluminum Rock Treads, and am about to go install them. Kind of pricey, but well worth it if I can fish without constant sliding.

Just wondering if anybody else has tried them, hoping I didn't waste my money.

Cmp1

BANNED
You already ordered them,but what about those rubber slip on cleats,with the rubber cleats for ice?just a thought,,,,Wally World has them,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You already ordered them,but what about those rubber slip on cleats,with the rubber cleats for ice?just a thought,,,,Wally World has them,,,,
Wouldn't cut it in a trout stream.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
If you was as big as me, maybe your boots would grip better...

Nothing beats the combination of felt and studs, but like you, I switched to Simms rubber soles a couple years ago. With studs, I've been pretty pleased with them, but I've not tried them on a slick creek like Abrams yet.

Lukikus2

I'll be watching this thread for if I get a chance to get back to a mountain stream. Tennis shoes used to work best for me but I did break my coccyx twice on greased bowling balls in the Tellico area.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you was as big as me, maybe your boots would grip better...

Nothing beats the combination of felt and studs, but like you, I switched to Simms rubber soles a couple years ago. With studs, I've been pretty pleased with them, but I've not tried them on a slick creek like Abrams yet.
They work ok for me on some of the smaller streams, but on the bigger ones with smooth cobble and shelf bottoms, I might as well have nanner peelings and strips of fat bacon wrapped around my feet. I can't concentrate on fishing for trying to stand up. I took a pretty good fall last year from my feet flying out from under me. I sprained my wrist, but it could have turned out badly if my gourd had bounced off a big grayback or my leg snapped, especially since I usually fish by myself miles back in the woods.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never hit my gourd thank goodness. Break that tail bone and you will look like Egor walking back to the truck.
Did that once riding inner tubes down through a rocky cow pasture in the snow. It is very painful, and takes forever to heal, and there's nothing you can do to fix it except wait.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Well, they're on there. Every review I've seen online for these things say they're the best thing since sliced bread. I sure hope so, because I just drilled 22 holes in a $150 pair of boots and red locktited them suckers on there. :)

rock-treads.jpg

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Well, they're on there. Every review I've seen online for these things say they're the best thing since sliced bread. I sure hope so, because I just drilled 22 holes in a $150 pair of boots and red locktited them suckers on there. :)

View attachment 1010484
Well son just dive in, fish up a fog, and write us a report.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

swamp10

If their aluminum they'll probably work great.
My opinion is based on my experience with an aluminum canoe I used to fish from.
It would stick to a slime covered rock like it was velcro

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If their aluminum they'll probably work great.
My opinion is based on my experience with an aluminum canoe I used to fish from.
It would stick to a slime covered rock like it was velcro
Yep, solid aluminum, and that's the theory.

At least if this fishing thing don't work out, I can start a career in tap dancing. :bounce:

Taxman

I cant wait to get the report. I have several different types of Vibram
soles. One pair of my vibram soled boots are worthless and the other
pair fantastic.