New guy

Jtmiller

Hey folks, after a lot of research and debate I just picked up a new Glock 40MOS with a 2MOA Holosun sight and looking to try something new. Waiting on an order from Underwood with Xtreme penetrators and hunters to get some rangetime. I'm hoping to test it on some pigs in the near future. I upgraded from the Glock 20, any advice or pointers on what to expect of the new gun? Pics to follow later!

Reactions: Dub

bullgator

It’s a Glock so it’ll certainly run.....as you know ;). That Underwood ammo is always a good choice for your intended purposes.

Reactions: Dub

frankwright

Good choice! I also have a G40 that I use for pig hunting. I handload 180gr Hornady XTP's and they seem to do real well but I always try for head or neck.
I changed some springs and connector to smooth the trigger pull and a Talon Grip and that is about it.
I do have a light mounted as much of my time in the woods is dark either hunting or walking in and out.
It is a heavy gun and I chest carry with a G&S holster. I like it snugged up high as it keeps the gun out of the way but handy. I like it higher than in this trail cam picture but I had it adjusted for a heavier coat and did not readjust it while checking trail cams.
https://www.gsholsters.com/
pvTKtpfl.jpg

Jtmiller

Good choice! I also have a G40 that I use for pig hunting. I handload 180gr Hornady XTP's and they seem to do real well but I always try for head or neck.
I changed some springs and connector to smooth the trigger pull and a Talon Grip and that is about it.
I do have a light mounted as much of my time in the woods is dark either hunting or walking in and out.
It is a heavy gun and I chest carry with a G&S holster. I like it snugged up high as it keeps the gun out of the way but handy. I like it higher than in this trail cam picture but I had it adjusted for a heavier coat and did not readjust it while checking trail cams.
https://www.gsholsters.com/
pvTKtpfl.jpg

Thats a good looking chest rig. I am actually in the market for one and will give them a look. What is the retention like on those. Any issues with shifting or coming loose? What springs and connectors you recommend changing, I'm not looking to get crazy with changes but would like it to be a good running gun? Apologies for the all the questions.

TomC

Put 6" KKM barrels in all my Glock 10mm's. Last one I owned was a Glock 40 you have. Ironically of all the Glock 10mm's I owned (all of them) my favorite was the 20SF. You will enjoy that gun though its a shooter as is but look into the KKM barrels to take it up a notch. Underwood ammo is THE WAY TO GO and did a number on some deer for me! I put granulate talon grips on all my Glocks. Never understood tweaking and changing springs, etc on a flawlessly designed never fail to begin with gun but to each his own and the triggers while not great are not that bad. I'm not a great shot but shot "lights out" up to 40 or so yards with the KKM barrels, plastic sights and stock trigger and some deer can attest to that :)

Last edited:

Rabun

I also recommend the GS chest rig. Keeps the pistol tight to the body and facilitates the wearing of backpack.

frankwright

Thats a good looking chest rig. I am actually in the market for one and will give them a look. What is the retention like on those. Any issues with shifting or coming loose? What springs and connectors you recommend changing, I'm not looking to get crazy with changes but would like it to be a good running gun? Apologies for the all the questions.
Ghost Inc - Ultimate Glock 3.5 lb Trigger Connector with Spring Kit - Gen 1-5
I usually buy this kit from ebay. I have probably done a dozen Glocks of mine and others. If you have a gen 5 the trigger spring doesn't work but really not needed. Polishing the safety plunger is a big help too.
No with the strap system the holster is rock solid.
Good Luck!