Drilling into concrete

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
So my wife was in HD (an hour away) getting a couple of things we needed. I had her pick up a Ryobi hammer drill (deal on it).
I tried with my regular drill & quickly realized it would take a really long time. So I broke out the hammer drill & boy were y'all right!
So much faster & easier.
Probably won't ever need it again, but I've got one if I do. ??

treemanjohn

Banned
So my wife was in HD (an hour away) getting a couple of things we needed. I had her pick up a Ryobi hammer drill (deal on it).
I tried with my regular drill & quickly realized it would take a really long time. So I broke out the hammer drill & boy were y'all right!
So much faster & easier.
Probably won't ever need it again, but I've got one if I do. ??
Nice work I was going to suggest buying an inexpensive one but I hate to spend another man's money

Now send momma back to home depot to pick up a can of black rustoleum hit the nuts and ends of the anchors before you install the railing.painting after will be a pain

greg_n_clayton

I didn't read all...but a regular drill will wallow out the hole if you are going to use a mechanical fastener. If you using epoxy they will work. Just be sure the holes are cleaned out of dust.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
How many are you drilling? 3/8 is a good sized hole. I've drilled thousands for pallet racking and equipment but I use a Bosch rotary as Jim suggested

I've got one of the Bosch rotary hammer drills...thing is a beast.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Don’t know if you’ve used a hammer drill much but two things to know. First, have your leg braced against the drill while working where it can’t whip around if you hit a piece of rebar. You’ll thank me.

Second, as you drill pull up out of the hole every so doyen as to pull the dust out. If not the bit can lock down and a crane won’t pull it out. Believe me.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Project turned out well.
Side note - years ago my wife bought me a Ryobi tool pack. Drill, saws all, & circular saw w/charger & 2 batteries in a carrying case. Wore drill out & batteries were shot. Tried the new batteries in the saws & they're interchangeable. Saws worked great.