St Mark's 8/5-6

doomtrpr_z71

I went down to St Mark's the last two days with my college fishing buddy, we haven't fished much the past couple of years because he refused to go inshore fishing and my working in MO. But after a late start and lunch at Riverside, we launched at the lighthouse, we tried 4ft with no success, 7ft to 11ft with no success, and found a few trout in 6ft.

IMG-20200805-154516.jpg

Then we had real fun

00100d-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20200805155754230-COVER.jpg

His brother has been trying to catch a shark off the pier at Tybee for a couple of weeks and was quite jealous, we ended the day with a three keepers along with a mix of trash fish and a rough ride in since the forecast was a bit off.

IMG-20200805-184531-1.jpg

Riverside was good for supper but the cat didn't care for grouper

IMG-20200805-211946.jpg

We stayed at shell island and I do believe hour per hour there's no finer sleep than what you get at a fish camp

We started the next morning with high hopes and flat seas, however just after our trip started the breeze died and so did the bite and we had a single keeper from 6ft with some trash fish and a very eager lizardfish

IMG-20200806-081832.jpg

We ended the day at lunch with rain moving in and several warnings from the fwc, all in all a fun trip with quite a fight from the shark on what my buddy swore was an ultralight but was a 4000 series reel and a medium rod. It was also a good reminder of why I scallop in August and don't fish usually.

Limitless

Looks like a good trip regardless of slow action - great to be on the water. If your buddy is hard-core offshore a 4000 may seem like ultralight to him.

doomtrpr_z71

Looks like a good trip regardless of slow action - great to be on the water. If your buddy is hard-core offshore a 4000 may seem like ultralight to him.
:ROFLMAO:
He's a bass fisherman whose ideal fishing rod is a piece of conduit and he doesn't like spinning gear in general, but it was already rigged up from my dad using it so he couldn't be too choosey.

doomtrpr_z71

Have the crowds thinned a little?
There's a decent amount of scallopers but we had no issue getting a room at shell island just by going by, I didn't call ahead. The collection box was also covered in a trash bag until we left yesterday. There was 5 park units counting ours booked and 2 or 3 hotel rooms booked.

slow motion

I fished Thursday at St Mark's for a couple hours. There was a steady bite in 3' drifting between a bar and the channel. Reds trout and ladyfish until the sun got higher. Then the bite shut down. Headed out to 7-8 ft. and caught a few more though the bite was slower the fish were a little bigger with 1 at 23". That storm snuck up behind me and until I heard the boom of thunder I was oblivious. Still managed to beat the rain to the lighthouse. Friday was scallop day and my wife got a nice bag of bivalves. I caught a few trout off long bar to add to dinner. House and truck maintenance today. Might try later.

doomtrpr_z71

I fished Thursday at St Mark's for a couple hours. There was a steady bite in 3' drifting between a bar and the channel. Reds trout and ladyfish until the sun got higher. Then the bite shut down. Headed out to 7-8 ft. and caught a few more though the bite was slower the fish were a little bigger with 1 at 23". That storm snuck up behind me and until I heard the boom of thunder I was oblivious. Still managed to beat the rain to the lighthouse. Friday was scallop day and my wife got a nice bag of bivalves. I caught a few trout off long bar to add to dinner. House and truck maintenance today. Might try later.
Looks like I should have tried deeper Thursday with it being so calm, that storm was legit, we were at Hutton's trying to eat when it blew in.