What Kind of Grass is This, and How do I Kill It?

DAWG1419

Just put on a latex glove followed by a cotton glove. Round up on glove. Grab by the blades. And rub up. Pure RU and no over spray. Easy peasy.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's soft rush, Juncus effusus. Roundup will kill it, but it's a tough one to get completely rid of in a wet area. Very prolific and sheds a ton of seeds.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
It's soft rush, Juncus effusus. Roundup will kill it, but it's a tough one to get completely rid of in a wet area. Very prolific and sheds a ton of seeds.

Can I spray it repeatedly with 2,4-D and kill it or at least help control it?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Can I spray it repeatedly with 2,4-D and kill it or at least help control it?
According to some info out there, yes. I've never tried 2,4-D on it myself, but I have killed lots of it with Roundup. If the 2,4-D will get it, at least it won't kill your grass like the Roundup would.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
According to some info out there, yes. I've never tried 2,4-D on it myself, but I have killed lots of it with Roundup. If the 2,4-D will get it, at least it won't kill your grass like the Roundup would.

that is what I was hoping for. I hate to kill of my pasture graze while getting rid of that junk

HortDawg

Make a boom wick. If you have a 3pt sprayer or four wheeler tank your willing to put glyphosate in the tank of. If you have the boom, wrap burlap sacks around it, secure them while making a curtain Hanging down approx a foot. Have a pull off area or spot where you don’t mind grass damage to stop after each pass to turn on the boom and wet the sacks/wick let drip momentarily and make a pass again. As always read and follow Product label directions. This method works well for pasture grazed fields and production fields where the undesirable species/ weeds jumps or out grows the desired one.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Using 24d in hot weather can effect the desirable grass. Take your pictures or better yet some of the plants to a good farm supply house or to your local county extension agent.