Mid day score

Beenslayin

Those Savannah River points were made in the late Archaic, when the atlatl was the main weapon. I think they were used both as atlatl dart points and knives. I'd say most of the bigger ones were used maily as knives. I've found a couple over the years that have worked broad round tips that were likely used for carving the insides of soapstone bowls.
That was my first thought... Atlatl. You would need one to sling a big point like that. Nice point! I can only dream. I’ve read books and hunted for hours and hours only to find a piece of a point.

dpoole

Mud covers them in south ha creeks

ghadarits

That was my first thought... Atlatl. You would need one to sling a big point like that. Nice point! I can only dream. I’ve read books and hunted for hours and hours only to find a piece of a point.
If you keep looking and you'll find a good one. Don't give up.

Hillbilly stalker

Old timer told me one time “ son every stone tool that was ever made is still there”. Wise old man, I sure miss him.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Of the hundreds of points I've found over the years, exactly one of them came from a creek. A nice little Yadkin arrowpoint with a nice patina.

I have found a few. The most recent was when I took my new bride down to show her where my deer stands were. One has it's feet right on the bank of Kiokee Creek. I stepped down into the creek to cross and saw a familiar shape. Picked up a pretty good one also with heavy patina. I think that is the only one she has ever been witness to finding.