2020 Oglethorpe County

Todd E

Disclaimer** This is not an OC buck. Rather, a lower middle/upper southern buck. These bucks go into full blown pre rut ML week. Watch how his body changed over the dates shown. He went from stained hocks to black tar all the way to hooves currently. In velvet, he was there everyday am and pm. Bow season also. At the tail end of bow, he started venturing. Right now he is off on 3 and 4 day jaunts. Its taking its toll...........20201021_192905.jpg20201021_192842.jpg20201021_192821.jpg20201021_192803.jpg

Duff

This post reminded me of an archery only club from that time frame. Not sure if it is the same club or not. But John Seginak was in the one I’m talking about. My dad lived in Oglethorpe County when I was growing up & John lived right down the road from him & worked in the federal building with him. I coon hunted with John on occasion back then.
Did any of y’all know John? I know he used to write some articles for GON & post some on here but I haven’t heard anything from him in a long time. He was an interesting guy & a heckuva hunter.
BTW I lurk on this section because I hunt just down the road in Wilkes County & enjoy keeping up with what y’all have going on.

Yes. It’s the same club. I don’t believe John ever hunted it. There was a big issue after the 1st year the club was established and a bunch of folks got taken for a good bit of money.

I hunted it for 3 years and ccc is correct. It was a bow hunters paradise. No way there is a place left in Ga like that. I was just out of college and I would borrow money from the bank, just to hunt it. Seriously :bounce:

It was a 5 mile stretch from before Long Creek to the Vinyard, just past Buffalo Creek. Both sides of Hwy 78. 90% Hardwoods. Big hardwoods!! Unbelievable the amount of deer on that property

Duff

Brandon - Mature Big 6's are just cool bucks. Chased one on Long Creek at Hwy 78 back in the early 90's when all of the old Hogan tract was an archery only club. Never did get that sucker but had several encounters.

Was that the big 6 they filmed in the dove field? If so, I got money says that 6 pt would be a P&Y. Huge!!

Triple C

Was that the big 6 they filmed in the dove field? If so, I got money says that 6 pt would be a P&Y. Huge!!
Duff - Don't recall them videoing that buck but it certainly could have been. Had several encounters with him on Long Creek about about 1/2 to 3/4 mile north of 78 in the bottoms. It was like cat n mouse. I'd see him on one side of the creek with me set up on the other side. I'd switch sides and he'd slip by on the other side. I had my 1st cousin down for a 3 day hunt and told him bucks were a minimum of 4 on each side to shoot. I set him up in one of the draws leading out of the creek on the left and after the hunt he tells me he passed on the largest 6 pt he'd ever seen. Told him he should have shot him as I'd been chasing him as well. But, if you recall, it was 8 pt or bettere on bucks. We had 2 P&Y's taken off that club - Vernon Segars in 1991 and Stuart Bowers in 1992. Still talk to Keith McElroy every so often. His daughter lives next door to my son, Brooks, in Oconee.

Would love to hear of any the local guys that ever hunted any of the old Hogan tract. As Duff said, it was the most beautiful tract I'd ever hunted when it was all in one tract. If I recall, the state came really close to purchasing the property for a WMA around 1993ish. That would have been one incredible WMA had that happened.

Duff

McElroy isn't in the best of shape. He's having a rough time @3C

Oh man! Hate to hear that. Someone told me he sold his house across from our old clubhouse. I lost contact with him the last several years.

Duff

Duff - Don't recall them videoing that buck but it certainly could have been. Had several encounters with him on Long Creek about about 1/2 to 3/4 mile north of 78 in the bottoms. It was like cat n mouse. I'd see him on one side of the creek with me set up on the other side. I'd switch sides and he'd slip by on the other side. I had my 1st cousin down for a 3 day hunt and told him bucks were a minimum of 4 on each side to shoot. I set him up in one of the draws leading out of the creek on the left and after the hunt he tells me he passed on the largest 6 pt he'd ever seen. Told him he should have shot him as I'd been chasing him as well. But, if you recall, it was 8 pt or bettere on bucks. We had 2 P&Y's taken off that club - Vernon Segars in 1991 and Stuart Bowers in 1992. Still talk to Keith McElroy every so often. His daughter lives next door to my son, Brooks, in Oconee.

Would love to hear of any the local guys that ever hunted any of the old Hogan tract. As Duff said, it was the most beautiful tract I'd ever hunted when it was all in one tract. If I recall, the state came really close to purchasing the property for a WMA around 1993ish. That would have been one incredible WMA had that happened.

I gotcha. There were some big ones there. Steve Sims bought a bunch of that property between Keiths house and Long Creek. All of that bottom you are talking about. Beautiful woods

Arrow3

Plenty of sign made by deer I care nothing about ?.

Arrow Flinger

This post reminded me of an archery only club from that time frame. Not sure if it is the same club or not. But John Seginak was in the one I’m talking about. My dad lived in Oglethorpe County when I was growing up & John lived right down the road from him & worked in the federal building with him. I coon hunted with John on occasion back then.
Did any of y’all know John? I know he used to write some articles for GON & post some on here but I haven’t heard anything from him in a long time. He was an interesting guy & a heckuva hunter.
BTW I lurk on this section because I hunt just down the road in Wilkes County & enjoy keeping up with what y’all have going on.
John has a multi part story he wrote in GON now. I see him pretty often

Arrow Flinger

Our farm joins it. We’ve been here for 32 years. It really made ours great

it came very close to being a WMA. Our farm joins it and the corner pins are DNR pins. The Hogan’s back out last minute on the deal and the State sued for all the surveys and studies they did. That’s when it was logged and busted up in tracts and sold.

Souhternhunter17

Went this AM and didn't see a single deer. Brother saw 1 doe. Seemingly not quite as much buck sign as there was at this time last year. Maybe the hot weather has something to do with it. Despite the weather they gotta get going sooner or later!

Triple C

Was able to run out to farm yesterday to check on things and only sat a stand for bout an hour. Watched a few come in to cabin field before dark. Won't be too much longer before I'm spending a lot more time down there including weekdays. I find it interesting to think about how many stand sets I put up and then come the season, prolly don't hunt half of em. Just not enough time and always seem to be drawn to my favorite (and most comfortable), stands.

Wishing you guys a great rut this year!

Arrow3

I know Hughy is gonna fuss at me for not taking my bow but it would be hard to sling an arrow all the way across this field ??.

Saw a button head that has a broken back leg but seems to be getting along fine and 2 big does. This spot was money last year. There were afternoons where I'd see 20 or more but this year they just haven't shown yet.
20201025_185443.jpg

Hughy

I know Hughy is gonna fuss at me for not taking my bow but it would be hard to sling an arrow all the way across this field ??.

Saw a button head that has a broken back leg but seems to be getting along fine and 2 big does. This spot was money last year. There were afternoons where I'd see 20 or more but this year they just haven't shown yet.
View attachment 1045899

We all fall short and sin sometimes, it’s just been a long time since I’ve sinned that bad!
We’re going to have to change your name to “Bullet3”