Georgia quota systems is terrible

Would you pay a small fee if you got chosen for a quote hunt

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

SPOON80

No what I am saying is there have been times when you have 4 points an still don’t get drawn an then a guy with one point gets pick an doesn’t show up. I am say do just like they do it at the Piedmont hunt on the Piedmont national refuge. And still won’t be crowded because some people just aren’t gonna pay a little $15 fee or whatever. Just make to wear a guy doesn’t have to wait 2 to 3 years to get picked. But obviously I have struck a nerve with this post on here with some of these comments I’m reading some people get their panties in a wad way too much

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
But obviously I have struck a nerve with this post on here with some of these comments I’m reading some people get their panties in a wad way too much

Respectfully all are entitled to express their opinions (within reason). Your topic is a good one to discuss. Just be aware others may feel differently. We have some here who have been bumping heads for almost 20 years. Keep posting :rockon::rockon:

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
This is not true. Last year on Chattahoochee I saw some relatively new tractors in great shape. Not 200k tractors, but nice ones for sure.

So it’s not true but their tractors aren’t $200k? Pretty contradictory.

tr21

They ain’t $200K. I’ve owned a “big Kubota” or two. I know.
i dont know how much they are, was just trying to make a point of they aint going to let someone out of the blue jump on one and take off. you want to volunteer, contact Mr. Sellers im sure he will help you get in touch with the right people.

Sixes

No what I am saying is there have been times when you have 4 points an still don’t get drawn an then a guy with one point gets pick an doesn’t show up. I am say do just like they do it at the Piedmont hunt on the Piedmont national refuge. And still won’t be crowded because some people just aren’t gonna pay a little $15 fee or whatever. Just make to wear a guy doesn’t have to wait 2 to 3 years to get picked. But obviously I have struck a nerve with this post on here with some of these comments I’m reading some people get their panties in a wad way too much
If you put in for a hunt with 4 points and another guy puts in for the same hunt with 1 point. He is not going to be drawn ahead of you.

There are lots of hunts that take 0 or 1 point, but there are some that are going to take several points to draw, but everyone drawn is going to have wagered enough to get that hunt.

dfurdennis

The quota system we have in Georgia is terrible. I don’t understand why the state doesn’t say if you get pick there is a fee for your spot an for the ones who choose not to pay,there spot comes open for the same fee. I mean think about this the money they will receive can go right back into the places we want to hunt for things like food plots,help with the roads..etc. I have been on several quota hunts an it always seems that the number of people who get pick are not the same number of people who actually show up. Take B.F Grant for instance all the times I have been there the numbers never match. Gator hunting is the same way we have zones that don’t have hardly any public water. Like for Instant zone four terrible zone to hunt. Plus not to mention I think the license fee is a bit much I mean it’s more then a sportsman license.sorry for the long post but has been on my mind for a while
I agree my group did not get picked this year and we always have a blast...there will surely only be about 50 percent participation and we don't get to go

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Why do some of y’all get so spun up when someone doesn’t show up for a quota hunt?

This doesn't bother me at all. It's life. Things pop up. What gripes me is, "Congratulations! You've been chosen for B.F. Grant 1st hunt. Have Fun!" No guidance whatsoever and then DNR is there to write tickets. You didn't check in, you can't scout yet, you can't hunt here, this bucks main beam is only 15 1/2", blah blah blah. where are the rules and regulations for these quota hunts??? Please help. I'm asking. I'm happy to follow rules but dang GA makes it hard.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
This doesn't bother me at all. It's life. Things pop up. What gripes me is, "Congratulations! You've been chosen for B.F. Grant 1st hunt. Have Fun!" No guidance whatsoever and then DNR is there to write tickets. You didn't check in, you can't scout yet, you can't hunt here, this bucks main beam is only 15 1/2", blah blah blah. where are the rules and regulations for these quota hunts??? Please help. I'm asking. I'm happy to follow rules but dang GA makes it hard.

Right here under "WMA Regulations"

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/

Para Bellum

Mouth For War

Right where under WMA regulations?? General WMA regulations lists unlawful activities. B.F. Grant lists dates and antler restrictions. Nowhere does it tell participants where to check in, what to do with a harvested animal, what areas are OK to hunt and what areas are off limits. Anyone who's hunted in the state of Georgia knows the general rules and regulations for public and private lands. Quota hunts (other than the State Park hunts) are unorganized.

glynr329

I get picked every other year for BF Grant with one rejection. Don’t mind paying whatever as long as it is improving the land. Wish there were less people. My only gripe is some of the people are so disrespectful. If someone is hunting don’t climb a tree on both sides where you can see him and the third guy sit on ground 50 yards in front of me. I feel better now because not only did I waste my time but the 3 of them did also.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Quota hunt system is fine. I apply and I usually get drawn for the hunts I want.

Sometimes life happens and I have not gone on a hunt I was drawn for. No big deal.

I got Ft. Perry this weekend, there is rain and high winds forecasted, I bet not many of the 35 hunters drawn will show. I know I will be there.

And FYI, I got drawn for my 1st Georgia State Park hunt this year and there is a $30 fee for it.

Deer tags are fine as well, just don't be trigger happy.

groundhawg

When and who do you know that has gotten picked for the same hunt with 1 point and you were not picked with 4 points. Stated TIMES, not just once, but you are saying this happen more than once?!?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Right where under WMA regulations?? General WMA regulations lists unlawful activities. B.F. Grant lists dates and antler restrictions. Nowhere does it tell participants where to check in, what to do with a harvested animal, what areas are OK to hunt and what areas are off limits. Anyone who's hunted in the state of Georgia knows the general rules and regulations for public and private lands. Quota hunts (other than the State Park hunts) are unorganized.

Because it's the same for all WMAs, either online or the check station. That's on the same page under "Hunting Opportunities" then "Public Hunting Opportunities". Where you can and can't hunt is on the WMA maps which are also linked on that page.

I'm not sure why you think quota hunts are unorganized, a quota hunt is no different than any other hunt except that there's a limit on the number of hunters.

The regulations book has all the information that applies to all WMAs in the pages before the individual WMA regulations, so it's pretty straightforward. I'll agree that the online version is not as intuitive. If you can't find something, just call the office and ask.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Because it's the same for all WMAs, either online or the check station. That's on the same page under "Hunting Opportunities" then "Public Hunting Opportunities". Where you can and can't hunt is on the WMA maps which are also linked on that page.

I'm not sure why you think quota hunts are unorganized, a quota hunt is no different than any other hunt except that there's a limit on the number of hunters.

The regulations book has all the information that applies to all WMAs in the pages before the individual WMA regulations, so it's pretty straightforward. I'll agree that the online version is not as intuitive. If you can't find something, just call the office and ask.

If I can't find something, it's because it ain't there. I do call the office but shouldn't have to IMO. I should get a welcome e-mail or a link to something that goes like this, "Congratulations on your upcoming hunt at So and So WMA. Attached is a map of the areas you are allowed to hunt. You may begin scouting on the 15th at noon and here are the places you are allowed to camp. Please don't forget to check in online or HERE before you begin your hunt. All game must also be checked in HERE. For any additional questions, please call 770-770-7700." Similar to what the State Parks do.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
The websites are horrendous and just when you figure em out, they get "improved" again.