Fall gobbling?

simpleman30

I'll preface this post by saying that I'm not a full time turkey hunter. I've killed a couple of birds and hunt a few times a year, but I'm no die-hard turkey hunter. Anyhow... This morning, my good friend and I went to the deer woods. It was a lot cooler than the weather folks forecasted and we had a heavy fog roll in about an hour after sunrise. It was an awesome sight seeing it blacken up the horizon and then settle in over the clearcut I was hunting. On the way home, my buddy asked if I heard those turkeys gobbling just before sunrise. I did hear them, but they were far enough away and it being fall, I chalked it up that I didn't hear what I actually did hear. It wasn't just one turkey, but a few sounding off at about the same time. He and I were about 1,000 yards apart and we're still not sure of their position. And we've never seen a turkey on this property. I've been in the woods all my life and I have no experience with turkeys gobbling in the fall.

Twiggbuster

Heard one 2 weekends in a row from same spot about 6-7 deer seasons ago. But was little earlier than right now, more like late October. Not quite as loud and aggressive as one during the spring. Just because y’all haven’t seen them doesn’t mean they are not around. Maybe not large enough population for regular sightings.

BASS1FUN

I hear them from time to time in the fall, January 1 2007 it was two hammering like it was spring and I yelled from my treestand if both of you are in there come spring I’m killing both of you, opening day I took one and April 6 the other one

Duff

Yeah man. It’s great to hear them in the fall. Usually hear them every year or two

dtala

I hunted a property for spring turkey, heard no birds, saw no birds. I was there in deer season and heard one hammering. I yelped with my mouth several times and called him right up. I felt like shooting him....

chrislibby88

Man they’ve been tearing it up the past few days on my local WMA. Heard about 6 or so gobbles yesterday morning for the first hour of daylight and got to watch a group of 5 or 6 longbeards and a jake or two work down the creek I was hunting. Then this morning sounded like spring! I probably heard 20-30 total gobbles from at least 3 different birds. There was one about 300 yards away that wouldn’t stop. Some hens started yelping in the mix. It was glorious. They must have got a whiff of a hot doe or something cause these toms were fired up.

fatback

Had 2 gobbling on the roost yesterday morning. When they flew down, wound up being 5 long beards. Made an otherwise slow morning very enjoyable.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was sitting on my porch this morning and heard one gobble several times on the ridge across from the house.

killerv

Had one gobble for an hour once with frost on the ground in late december.

Put my buddy in a ground blind one afternoon a few weeks ago and he had one behind him gobbling, can't say I've every heard one in the pm gobble this time of year.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Heard one gobble a couple of times one morning last week before he flew down.

buckpasser

I expect it each year on opening day of duck season if the weather is clear. All the little wood duck holes getting shot up can force some pretty good shock gobbling.

Wifeshusband

Always see turkeys (in a group) in the fall while deer hunting. I wish Georgia had a fall season like some other states.

Alexander

Had one gobbling on Lake Guntersville this past Friday. Every time a nearby duck hunter would cut loose he would hammer, it was pretty neat!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Always see turkeys (in a group) in the fall while deer hunting. I wish Georgia had a fall season like some other states.

We used to have one. I loved to hunt that things in the Fall of the year.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
One of the best gobble fest i have heard, took place in the fall. I was hunting a thick creek bottom in october. Fog set in real thick. Id seen a group of 4 longbeards and a jake. They were spread out up the creek a 100 yards or so. Gobbled almost constantly for about an hour.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Friday morning after Thanksgiving I had some hens going crazy yelping and clucking and a gobbler gobbling at my lease in Troup County. I heard them there then and I heard several gobbles one morning all around a clear cut in Heard County 3 years ago.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Late 80’s during archery season probably October My buddy and I heard a turkey gobble continuously all morning. We counted them and he gobbled over 60 times. And no it wasn’t a tame turkey. Other than that I can’t recall it but it’s not out of the question