What is meant by us being made in the image of God and what are the implications of it?

Israel

BANNED
Yes, as well as an open mind and heart. At least, that's what I'm attempting to use.
I am glad you "went there" with it. That is any reference that might be gleaned from my referencing an open book test. They were rare (open book tests) and also peculiar, and not simply because of their rarity.

They seemed almost counter to the notion of a "test"...where the response to the instructor might be..."You seem less interested in what I am able unassisted to tell you of what I know (or have learned) by retention, study, and/or appropriation...and more concerned with making this far easier (it seems) by even allowing me the reference material to lean upon." In that sense it really is quite different than other notions of a test.

We too are given reference material. I am not seeking to use a clever example of the substance we are given, nor even reduce it to a literal book form. And that is why I am glad you "went there" with your comments. For Jesus Christ lives as an open book, with none in comparison.The "open mind and heart" you speak of.

In one sense..."we" had the book. We had the instructions, the writings, the examples...right down to a great list of very succinct commandments. Yet there remained (and remains) a great weakness exposed...not of the instructions but of something else...a tendency of stopping short (or falling short if one cares for a better description made more familiar by biblical reference)...thinking we knew what the writing(s) meant. Some have blessedly come to the end of that by a compelling to admit..."I really do not know at all that of which you speak...YOU must show me".

And so we have Jesus our Lord telling those who, thinking they have the "right answer" in regards to adultery and might and would rely upon their never having physically lain with another woman not their own...to learn..."No, that is not it...that is not it at all" Jesus was not "revising the law", not adding to it, but clearly rebuking their (our) inclination toward presuming we know what God's word means.

Of course that raises the question "Then why speak (to me) at all if you know I cannot understand?" And that is a very good question. Why would anyone speak to (or, if you care "relate Himself to") what has no native ability "retained" to relate themselves to Him? What has lost the key of understanding for relating?

Is this not where Christ shines? The descent of God to the most relatable form, the perfect remedy/help/assist in form as man...so now the truth of God is made a palpable thing? (That which we have seen and touched?)

That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

But, God is too lofty! Yes. But God is transcendent! Yes. But God is not a man that He should lie! Yes. (What man never has, nor will?) This is our bread and wine...our food and drink...and only ever has been...the ministry of God to man (even when man was/is His enemy!)...God gave bread and wine...food and drink of sustenance...until such time of awakening to Whom is the food and drink.

Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.

This is the matter of God's speaking "to us"...in our not understanding, in our rebellion, even in our "not wanting to hear"

Now all the people witnessed the thunderings, the lightning flashes, the sound of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking; and when the people saw it, they trembled and stood afar off. Then they said to Moses, “You speak with us, and we will hear; but let not God speak with us, lest we die.”

And Moses said to the people, “Do not fear; for God has come to test you, and that His fear may be before you, so that you may not sin.” So the people stood afar off, but Moses drew near the thick darkness where God was.

God alone runs "true to form".

The Lamb slain from the foundation of the world...a sacrifice already made in the very moment of creation that speaks "I am committed, I am wholly invested in this, I am not abandoning this...I am in all to the preservation of what is mine..." But not seen till these "last days" in full manifestation to and for us. Not because God was ever less than fully committed...but because "in the fullness of time" He ordained to show what He MEANS in "Let us make man in our image and after our likeness..."

Jesus Christ.

This is our reference. He Himself becoming the open book...now no longer without form for ground of relating (God has never not known/understood that of which He speaks nor has spoken) but the perfection of God's word...now to us. Seeing must precede knowing.

Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.

If we can at all consider the marvel of these above words...and these in particular:

and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.

It may help to dispel much of darkness. A total reliance in, and by, a true man...not of His own sufficiency as "the know it all"...or the "do it all"...but One so committed in singleness of eye to watching for and what His Father is doing...in full confidence...not of what He himself will do...but that as His steps are all already ordained He can say without boast of Himself, "I trust to show greater things because I will be shown greater things". And no less in His matter of speaking...to speak greater things...for His hearing of greater things.

Yes...and many marveled. Things even too marvelous to hear, even so marvelous that...until plain demonstration cannot be understood.

I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat? Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

Is it not right that we also marvel? Even to such point as a man may think "I think I may know what you mean, Lord...but unless you show me...I am lost..."

And so singleness of eye is encouraged...even through our many seeming short falls...till we learn the reference is open to us now...for all asking, inquiry, searching out, and discovery.

Nothing is being "withheld" from those who believe.

Nothing is being done to shame our unknowing.

Indeed the case may be too easily made that our forgiveness is so linked to our unknowing "Forgive them Father they know not what they do" that any bristling or bucking against "not knowing" (or worse...the pretense of "knowing better")...cannot but be linked to an extreme undervaluation of mercy and forgiveness. But, God forbid to the point of rejection.

All of our presumptions though, are only fit for exposure. And with much gratitude for grace.

Last edited:

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Which may strip the believer of any favorable opinion of himself, or mankind for that matter, in order for Christ to be fully favorable.

Indeed that will be, if I understand the leveling of all distinctives.

Col.
3 Therefore, if you have been raised with Christ, keep seeking the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on the things that are above, not on the things that are on earth. .......
11 a renewal in which there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, and free, but Christ is all, and in all.

....... 17 Whatever you do in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.

Please, if interested, look it up and read carefully all of vss. 1-17

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
To those who are addressing the subject, Thank You.

gordon 2

To those who are addressing the subject, Thank You.

Right. The classic answer to your question as to the "true" essence of man according to God has a really basic and classic answer due to research in scripture, which really comes from sewing a few scripture verses together in order to garner God's ideas towards man: For the time being,

Man has the capacity to be Christ like.

And this capacity and being Christ like is for our days the "True" essence of man.

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

For anyone interested I found a very good scriptural based article. It is well written and cohesive.

https://activechristianity.org/look-at-yourself-through-gods-eyes

You – your body, soul, and spirit were “formed” and “skillfully wrought” by God with each day of your life fashioned in detail like the pages in a book. (Psalm 139)

You are a child of God; His own special people created to live a pure, faithful life. “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.” Ephesians 2:10

Let God guide your life and form you through trials and you will become “perfect and complete, lacking nothing” in each chapter of life. (James 1:4)

God’s love is stronger and deeper than human love and emotions. In God, you have a close friend who knows you and understands you better than anyone. He sees your heart and desire to be good; He sees your struggles and how you are drawn to things that aren’t good. He is always there to listen and help when you pray to Him with a sincere and humble heart. “For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their cry.” Psalm 34:15.

God is following along closely with your life as a caring, attentive Father. You are very dear to Him and He longs for it to go well for you. His thoughts towards you are of “peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11)

Your life has incredible value......“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.” Matthew 5:14.

I could only add : You are loved with an unfathomable, immense love. John 3:16.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, ...

SemperFiDawg

God sees believers in Christ as a completed, finished holy new creation, right out of the redemption box - in the boldness and humility of believing it is so.
The other side of the coin is growth. Growing to believe God's astoundingly good opinion of His kids, something like a Father delighting in His offspring that have his name by birthright.
And lastly, there is fruit (love, joy, peace, etc.) that is also born out of this union. Not from the hampster wheel of self sufficiency, by by His Spirit within.
All this is wonderfully "IMAGE" related. If it was not so, then we're faking it until we get the completeness He has gifted, which would make the grace of God of no effect.

Col. 2:10 ... in Him you have been made complete.

The more I go back and read this, the more I appreciate it. Again, Thank you.

SemperFiDawg

Right. The classic answer to your question as to the "true" essence of man according to God has a really basic and classic answer due to research in scripture,

No doubt. The thread title is
What is meant by us being made in the image of God and what are the implications of it?
with a request for input.

I think a cursory review of the posts would reveal most of what's posted has been off topic and/or completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. As far as actual on-topic discussion goes, it's almost non-existent, and that's OK. It is what it is. You can't get milk from a bull. The expectation that I had hoped to is no one's error but mine.

Last edited:

gordon 2

No doubt. The thread title is
with a request for input.

I think a cursory review of the posts would reveal most of what's posted has been off topic and/or completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. As far as actual on-topic discussion goes, it's almost non-existent, and that's OK. It is what it is. You can't get milk from a bull. The expectation that I had hoped to is no one's error but mine.

True what you say, however... you have asked other questions at least questions phrased differently than the original topic question. For example the topic question is about image of God and us being made in that image, but also latter you asked what is my "true" essence according to God and it being scriptural for the good reasons you indicate. These are two different questions with two differing answers. So perhaps all of us can't stay on topic in real life which includes yourself. ( I say this not to mock you, but rather to point to the obvious in our relationships regards our communications.) The greatest thinkers allow for rabbit holes and trails and bifurcations in subjects related to a topic. What makes them great is that they can tie all these to the general subject at hand. I take it, perhaps in error, that you have ever been discomforted regards staying on topic because you cannot tie things together in the normal courses of conversation and study. There is noting wrong with this if it is you being you... but realize most people allow off topics as part of regular conversation because it is human nature to do so.

Also your last post here does not seem to answer the original questions you posed.. but some other topic... The answer that we are loved by God , or the object of His love, seems a strange answer to the question from the get go because to be the object of love seems, that is loved by God, seems not at all in keeping of the image with those human beings who don't know our Lord or who just don't care , who systematically hate or who deny any God, even Abrahams. And in some cases as you most likely know some people are so angry at God, that their ideas and emotions toward Him are anything other than love as God has shared His with man. These might still be loved, and are, but these people's response to life if noting in the image of God.

Now this is not on topic but it seeks to keep the conversation of your last post to its context, if not to the original topic or topics which followed from it.

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

True what you say, however... you have asked other questions at least questions phrased differently than the original topic question. For example the topic question is about image of God and us being made in that image, but also latter you asked what is my "true" essence according to God and it being scriptural for the good reasons you indicate. These are two different questions with two differing answers. So perhaps all of us can't stay on topic in real life which includes yourself. ( I say this not to mock you, but rather to point to the obvious in our relationships regards our communications.) The greatest thinkers allow for rabbit holes and trails and bifurcations in subjects related to a topic. What makes them great is that they can tie all these to the general subject at hand. I take it, perhaps in error, that you have ever been discomforted regards staying on topic because you cannot tie things together in the normal courses of conversation and study. There is noting wrong with this if it is you being you... but realize most people allow off topics as part of regular conversation because it is human nature to do so.

Also your last post here does not seem to answer the original questions you posed.. but some other topic... The answer that we are loved by God , or the object of His love, seems a strange answer to the question from the get go because to be the object of love seems, that is loved by God, seems not at all in keeping of the image with those human beings who don't know our Lord or who just don't care , who systematically hate or who deny any God, even Abrahams. And in some cases as you most likely know some people are so angry at God, that their ideas and emotions toward Him are anything other than love as God has shared His with man. These might still be loved, and are, but these people's response to life if noting in the image of God.

Now this is not on topic but it seeks to keep the conversation of your last post to its context, if not to the original topic or topics which followed from it.

All true. I had hoped maybe my following posts would have given a clearer direction. Apparently they did not. I accept full responsibility.

StriperAddict

The more I go back and read this, the more I appreciate it. Again, Thank you.
I give time to understand grace daily because the not-me-flesh shouts against it daily! Thanks man. Peace to your home this season ??