2020 Oglethorpe County

transfixer

Just got back home this evening from being in OC since wednesday afternoon, plenty of deer seen for the most part, other than very little activity last evening and this morning ,, but all we've seen are does, spikes, and dinky bucks, it was an enjoyable time though ! There were 5 of us hunting over those days, one dink buck was taken for the freezer, I'm still looking forward to some actual COLD weather to hunt in though !

Buford_Dawg

One of our fellow oc hunters took a nice buck this weekend... I'm sure he will post a picture soon.

Had the opportunity late yesterday to be sitting in a stand and a nice OC buck trotted in after a doe that had showed up a couple minutes earlier. The distance was a little longer than I desired, but cant miss opportunities when they show up. We got this buck on camera a couple nights ago for the first time. Big tall tined 8 point. Unfortunately my shot was back and the deer did not leave much blood after the first 25 yards. Called Blake Arnold as we were looking for blood, thanks to Arrow and Todd for his recommendation, and Blake said he would be there first thing today. The track took about a hour and went about 500 yards total. His dog Ash is amazing and I'm thankful that Ash found the buck. It is good to know us hunters in OC have a tracking team (Blake and Ash) available when your shot doesnt go exactly as planned. Highly suggest if you ever need a tracking dog to give Blake a call.
IMG_4874.JPEG

Todd E

Congratulations BDawg on that nice OC buck. You made a wise decision by reaching out to ADT. That dog is amazing. Great choice to give him overnight to lay up.

We keep up with a page that ADT is a member of. There are so many stories on there where there was a deer shot and left zero blood. Nothing. Yet, a dog found it. When in doubt or in need.......call for a dog. Blake is a really nice guy and a member of the OC community.

Todd E

I wish I had some nice buck story to share for OC. It has been a dismal year on bucks for me. What I've been looking for just isn't there. I may have plenty of hog in the freezer, but the deer meat is almost gone. Finally had the opportunity to take a fully mature nannerhead. 20201128_195701.jpg

transfixer

@transfixer i guess its a good thing you got out when you did today. It started raining late afternoon and has not let up yet. Sloppy !!!

Yeah, we knew it was supposed to start raining, I left about 1pm headed home, got to get back to work today making $$, lol, our place was already a muddy mess after getting rain last wednesday night/thurs morning, and a small shower fri nite sometime, our interior rds are a mess, I still have that sow and her litter tearing up the sides of our rds through the thick pines, thinking about taking my Reveal cam down this coming weekend and temporarily setting it up on a rd so it can let me know during the night when they are there ,,,

nix03

Good thread. Just curious if any of you guys in OC will have any openings in your club for next year? I have two boys that play ball seems like every weekend so I don’t get to hunt much but would like to find a good place. I am a safe, ethical hunter that doesn’t shoot to woods up. I want the chance at a mature deer and maybe a doe if needing meat but really looking for quality deer. Please shoot me a pm if anyone has anything.
Thanks.

Triple C

Thought I’d share a memory maker experience from last weekend. Gave my grandson a lil youth model side-by-side .410 for his 5th birthday back in May. They spent the night at the farm Saturday night. Sunday morn he tells me he wants to go hunting. I grab his lil .410 from the gun safe, put a few shells in my pocket and off we go. Spend bout 1.5 hrs slipping thru the woods. He sees 4 deer, learns what a scrape is and the difference between pig poop n deer poop.
We finished the morning in a ladder stand shooting at squirrels. He told me I didn’t help him aim very well after missing 4 times. Hopefully a memory he will carry with him forever...his first real hunt. I know I will!
EA685545-7F92-4D7D-AF41-13DC9917495C.jpeg

Buford_Dawg

Thought I’d share a memory maker experience from last weekend. Gave my grandson a lil youth model side-by-side .410 for his 5th birthday back in May. They spent the night at the farm Saturday night. Sunday morn he tells me he wants to go hunting. I grab his lil .410 from the gun safe, put a few shells in my pocket and off we go. Spend bout 1.5 hrs slipping thru the woods. He sees 4 deer, learns what a scrape is and the difference between pig poop n deer poop.
We finished the morning in a ladder stand shooting at squirrels. He told me I didn’t help him aim very well after missing 4 times. Hopefully a memory he will carry with him forever...his first real hunt. I know I will!
View attachment 1053061
Thats what its all about there AC. Man I know that was fun.

Todd E

Gets boring when the woods go quiet, everybody goes back to work after rut vacations, and our thread shows it too.

I've gotten no meat back yet from the two I had previously dropped off. The above doe is still on ice waiting to be finally dropped off today(processor full and not accepting all week). Thats three deer and no new cuts in my freezer yet. And folks say baiting hasn't changed hunting. Pfffffffft.

Who is going after it this weekend? I'm bout ready to turn my entire focus to other game. Yet, I do need to get one deer to dormineys.

transfixer

Gets boring when the woods go quiet, everybody goes back to work after rut vacations, and our thread shows it too.

I've gotten no meat back yet from the two I had previously dropped off. The above doe is still on ice waiting to be finally dropped off today(processor full and not accepting all week). Thats three deer and no new cuts in my freezer yet. And folks say baiting hasn't changed hunting. Pfffffffft.

Who is going after it this weekend? I'm bout ready to turn my entire focus to other game. Yet, I do need to get one deer to dormineys.

I'm staying home this weekend, the rain today helped make up my mind, I'll likely be back in OC next weekend, as I haven't pulled the trigger yet and would like to put some in the freezer, waiting for a call from the processor on my stepson's deer, figuring it should be any day now. So I might have to make a run to Eatonton this weekend,, I hope :)

Buford_Dawg

I've got honey DO's to catch up on after being in the woods every weekend since gun season kicked off. Ripping up carpet tonight and laying laminate flooring this weekend and repainting several rooms. Gonna be a busy weekend at home. Will be back down next weekend to hang out, hopefully a hog will ease by. No buck tags left, so hogs are the target now.

Arrow3

Currently in the hotel room in Perry because of the weather but ive had a good time hunting with friends at Oaky woods wma. I have let a few bucks walk with one of them being a nice 2 1/2 year old 8 point. I found a scrape while scouting that was getting hit hard and put a cell cam on it. The first night I got a mature deer on it but it only had a 5 point rack. My buddy Chad killed him this morning chasing a doe. Tomorrow morning is our last hunt here and it's either sex but im not sure I want to drag a doe out a mile , even in my sled.

As a bonus while being here Hughy had a chance to drop my rack off to the official scorers house . My buck wound up netting 130 7/8ths making him 6th Currently in the county ranking for Oconee. 20201204_172403.jpg