CALIBER QUESTION

Looking at really getting into coyote hunting. Which one(s) do the pros on here prefer and why?
Thanks in advance...

chase870

Possum Sox
Any gun you shoot well is the one you want to use. Any 22 cal center fire is plenty of gun. All 30 cal rifles are more than enough They can be killed with 22 rim fire shot guns with large pellets #5's up to OO buck. Now I have seen yotes take 30 cal rounds and run off 22 cal center fire rounds and run off, and multiple rounds and run off. We shot one and it actually pulled its guts out and still ran 400 yards. Accuracy and being able to hit them in the vitals is where its at there tough and can take a hit

ChidJ

Not to hijack a thread but what motivates one to get serious about coyote hunting? Just looking for a new challenge? Excuse to get a new gun?

chase870

Possum Sox
Not to hijack a thread but what motivates one to get serious about coyote hunting? Just looking for a new challenge? Excuse to get a new gun?
Well the yote is one that once you call him you are no longer hunting him you are being hunted. He is smart and crafty and hard to kill with out a doubt. If you can call up and kill 4 or 5 yotes a year you have my complete respect as a hunter. I am also able to have more hunting opportunities as most people don't have the skill to hunt them successfully and nothing excites a land owner who has a yote problem like a dead yote.

sleepr71

I’m going to suggest a compact,lightweight .243,using 55-70gr bullets. It shoots VERY flat,out to 250-300yds...and can easily double as a Deer/Hog rifle. Also..IF you decide that you’re tired of Coyote hunting...it’s easy to sell a .243. A .223,or 22-250 is more of a niche round & harder to sell. IF you decide on .223...just get an AR-15 & find what ammo it likes. Easily a 250yd rifle & again..should you ever decide to get rid of it..No problem?

Yotedawg

My obsession with coyotes started in 1989 when I saw my first one in southwest Georgia. Been hunting them since. My opinion they are quite possibly the smartest animal in the world. And it may not be so much smart but more insanely cautious and having a very strong desire to live. If you want to match wits with such an animal, coyote hunting is for you. If you don't like to lose, pursue another species. You will be happier and have more money in your pocket.

Yotedawg

.22 Centerfire and up. Bottom of list a 22 Hornet. Yes 22 long rifles and 22 mags will kill them but your shot placement must be on point. Most of the time dawgs don't sit around and let you sling lead at them if they know you are there so making a clean kill shot is not provided many times and you need enough gun to do the job. They are very tough with a very strong will to live. My favs are 22-250, 243, and 6mm creed. Killed a pile of dawgs with each. They are up to the task.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve always used my 7mm mag , good practice for deer season and it works

furtaker

Seems to me that a fast moving, small caliber, explosive varmint bullet anchors them faster than "deer rifle" types. I've had them run after taking a 30-06 and 6.5x55. 223 and 22-250 usually means DRT. They can be tough.

Somewhat of a new challenge. But also there is a recognized NEED! We are seeing them in daylight hours now. Big, healthy ones too. Local beef farmer has seen them preying on their calves (luckily they have donkeys). We have also noticed a significant drop in rabbits and turkeys over the past few years. Enough is enough...

My obsession with coyotes started in 1989 when I saw my first one in southwest Georgia. Been hunting them since. My opinion they are quite possibly the smartest animal in the world. And it may not be so much smart but more insanely cautious and having a very strong desire to live. If you want to match wits with such an animal, coyote hunting is for you. If you don't like to lose, pursue another species. You will be happier and have more money in your pocket.
Thanks for this feedback. I am leaning .22-250 after further research.

sleepr71

.22-250 is the ideal Coyote rifle..IF all you are going to use it for is calling predators. A .243 is next & a more versatile caliber for bigger game. IF you can find any old articles by Bill Bynum..read them! I think he wrote for Varmint Masters back in the 90’s to 2000’s.He was mainly in Tennessee iirc,but was a Coyote calling guru. He was way before the time of Night Vision & Thermal Scopes..but relied on calling technique & changing calls to whatever was on the menu(for Yotes) at the time. It’s best to be Educated on Coyotes...than be Educated BY Coyotes!!! Once you mess up & Educate them.....they won’t make that mistake again?

lonewolf247

Any of the mentioned calibers work fine. In times of ammo shortage, the best one is the one you can find ammo for, Lol! If I were to buy a caliber just for that purpose, and ammo wasn't an issue, I'd probably pick an AR-15 in .223/556, or a chassis rifle in .223, or 6.5 creedmore.

Mtns2hunt

A 22-250 is a fine coyote rifle. Flat shooting very fast. I killed my first double with its cousin a 220 Swift. However, thinking ahead you must consider other critters that may show up. Fox or Bobcat and they are much more fragile than a coyote. Unless of course you are going to pass on other varmits? You may wish to preserve and tan the hide so must consider a fur friendly bullet which is a whole different thread.

If it were me I would down load a center fire 22 and carry a shotgun for closer shots as well as Bobcat and fox. Just my 2 cents.

chase870

Possum Sox
The 22-250 is a fine round, I'm partial to the 220 Swift, killed the first couple of day time yotes with it when I started predator hunting. I have both and am not afraid to use either. I shoot a 5.56 as well. Seems like the varmint bullets and hollow points anchor them better than soft points. As mentioned a shotgun is pretty handy thing when hunting yotes. I have a new found respect for #4 Buck after shooting a few yotes with it. If you get in a place where the shots are 40 yards and less Turkey Loads are hard to beat. Good luck and welcome to the club

txfish

Hello, my fab caliber is a 17 rem, next a 221 fireball, 223, 243. with all that just about any caliber will do the job. If you want to make it even harder use a hand gun. My Coyote time was in Texas, with a yearly trip to Az. My only advise to people starting out. Have a sense of humor, your going to need it!